Thread: 05 330i p0206, p0300, p0306

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Hi guys,

I just picked up a 05 330i, with a misfire issue and error codes. The codes are open injector circuit, random misfire, and misfire on cyl 6. I swap coil, problem didn't follow, I have yet to swap injectors, thought I'll post it here to see what you guys think.

Edit: prior to this there were other misfire, I found the intake boot after the maf was disconnected at the bottom, reattach and other misfire went away. Misfire and open circuit on cyl 6 remains.

Edit: at this point I think code p0300 and p0306 misfire is related to p0206 mulfuction/open injector circuit. Which leads me to think its either bad injector, loose connection, or broken injector wire. I will pull the injector and test it tomorrow.

Update: checked injector impedance, 12ohms across. Checked voltage 12volt across. Simulate injector function, it opened and let fuel thru. Swap injector 6, with cyl 1. Same error code remains.

Update: some how I got code p0313 to trigger, which is low fuel error, trigger me to think bad/old fuel filter fuel pump, and my gas is low. Decided to go get some gas as my gas level is low. Well guess what...code p0306 for open injector circuit error went away. Probably bad/old/low octane gas.

So currently I'm getting misfire cyl 3 and cyl 6. As well as p0414 evap error. Overall still runs like crap, but this is progress and easier to deal with than open injector circuit error. Next I'm going to replace fuel filter, and spark plugs as well as buy a couple new coils to swap with.

Damn e46 section is pop'n

Thanks.
    Last edited by asianvenom; 08-22-2017 at 05:11 PM.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I'd get a scan done with a BMW specific scan tool. Those P codes you're posting tell me that you're using a generic scan tool and those are incapable of reading the multitude of codes that a bmw can kick out. The P codes can also be misleading. Quit throwing parts at it and get a scan done.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    And Check fuel pressure

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    I can't get my inpa to communicate with the car pissed me off...I will play with it more...I haven't thrown anything at it except the obvious...which I found a crack intake boot...fuel filter is probably a good time to replace as well as spark plug. Vacuum leak is a possibility but I sprayed a bottle of break cleaner a bottle of electronic cleaner all over but no sign of leaks.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Check that pins 7+8 are connected in your cable. Also check device manager to make sure that your cable has the same COM number listed in your C:/Ediabas/bin/obd.ini file. You can view .ini files in notepad, just be sure not to turn them into .txt when you save.
    Also remember the key needs to be on in order to connect, I've made that mistake a few times.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    Check that pins 7+8 are connected in your cable. Also check device manager to make sure that your cable has the same COM number listed in your C:/Ediabas/bin/obd.ini file. You can view .ini files in notepad, just be sure not to turn them into .txt when you save.
    Also remember the key needs to be on in order to connect, I've made that mistake a few times.
    Yeah got all that resolved it works on my 740il 750il...its been a while that I have to use the program again...I pick up the car just because I wanted something to work on...inpa its great when its working...its a hassle when window decided to update. Of course I uninstalled and reinstalled again...but it just still doesn't wanna work...I got the ignition ON indicated on inpa lol. I came from e36, 46 M3, then e38. E46 non M is rather new to me believe it or not, but then again its also my first time using dummy generic code reader on a bmw as well.

Notice I update my original thread eventhough no one responded, for the fellow that maybe encounter the same issues later can search for it.

Update: https://youtu.be/49uL6vgUKxg
    This video clip is interesting, it pointed to spark plugs for my current issue. I have never experience spark to cause misfire. But it is one thing I haven't replace, I looked at it, it looks fine to me.
    Last edited by asianvenom; 08-23-2017 at 02:22 AM.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Update: so after more troubleshooting, I found cracked intake boot, bad purge valve, but that is probably caused by incorrect fuel pump gasket installed which cause fuel leaks.

After I got rid of all that, I got a misfire on cylinder 2 and 3 code. Did everything include fuel pressure test, swapping coils, injectors, smoke test. Nothing...then compression test.

Compression test found cyl 2 and 3 only 65psi, and 75psi respectively. The rest are 135psi. I thought or hope piston rings are sticking, soaked the cylinder with injector cleans, pb blasters, wd40. After each soaking compression on 2 and 3 still 65psi and 75psi. No lost of coolant, no chocolaty oil. Is there a leak between cyl 2 and 3 on Head gasket? I'm contemplating if I should replace head gasket or the whole motor.

Funny initial diagnoses misfire only on cylinder 6, probably due to intake boot leak. Then the real problems are in cylinders 2 and 3.
    Last edited by asianvenom; 09-26-2017 at 02:16 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Low compression readings on 2 adjacent cylinders ya an indication of a bad head gasket. The gasket likely has a leak in the area between the 2 cylinders. When checking cylinder 2 see if air is coming out if cylinder 3 via the spark plug hole.

My Cars
    Yes, please.
    Check DISA valve and Secondary Air Valve.

Also compression test could be inaccurate due to VANOS system malfunction.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Junglenut View Post
    Check DISA valve and Secondary Air Valve.

Also compression test could be inaccurate due to VANOS system malfunction.
    Disa valve is checked, it is functional. How is the secondary air valve effects compression. Vanos system malfunction causes inaccurate compression, can you please shed some light on this. in the mean time I will look at the secondary air valve.

I'm not so convinced that it is head gasket issue, and low compression on cylinder 2 and 3, but the car drives perfectly, if I clear the code and keep driving, power, responsiveness is all there, no lost of coolant or oil lost or exchange of it. Its just when I'm idling that it throws misfire on cylinders 2 and 3, which shuts down that two cylinder when idling. Keep in mind no faults or error when at speed, any speed, not even misfire.

Edit: ok through quick search, vanos effects compression test when cranking. its not getting oil pressure to come online..secondly intake/exhaust cam can overlap to cause this low compression? If so what gives? Vanos solenoid? But don't vano solenoid fault will throw and error code? That's alot of questions, but I want to cover all bases instead of going for hg and possibly not the source of the problem. keep on search I guess...

Edit: next order is leak down test...

Thanks
    Last edited by asianvenom; 09-26-2017 at 07:18 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    When you do the compression test on cylinder 2 see if air comes out if cylinder 3.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    When you do the compression test on cylinder 2 see if air comes out if cylinder 3.
    Kind of hard to tell with a compression test, as all cylinder will compress when cranking. I did tried installing a plug on 3 when testing 2, and vis versa but no difference in compression numbers. I will have to find out with a leak down test. I'm looking at a zhp motor/transmission along with all 6speed swap parts, for 1200 with 184k miles. but I'm still going try to figure where is leaking from on current motor.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Update: did leak down test, found leak between cylinder 2 and 3. Pull the head confirmed blown gasket between cylinder 2 and 3. Pulled the cams and sent off to machine shop for resurface.

Original code was was for misfired on cylinder 6. But combination of vacuum leak, fuel pump leak around the gasket, and combined with blown head gasket it really threw off the ecu, never detected misfire on cylinder 2, and misfire cylinder 3 was random, come and go.