Thread: Ive shifted many cars w/o using clutch.....but this Z no likey

Ive shifted many cars w/o using clutch.....but this Z no likey

it was rather ez in other cars....downshifting

but w/ this Z, its about impossible....no matter the revs she just wont slide in......maybe once in a blue.

any1 else ever try it?...

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yeah, and they can't take running into trees lie other cars can, either. What a POS BMW built.

/.randy

My Cars
    Z3 3.0 - X1 35i - X1 28i
    Why would I? I like the transmission in the car too much to trash it.

ok ok ok

rough crowd today.

Its not like Im banging gears fellas. Many cars one can finesse going down in gears..its fun. Not often mind you.

The z just wont really do it.......I was jus asking

My Cars
    z3
    I'll pull mine into N every now and then without the clutch, usually if just getting off the throttle. But these transmissions really don't like shifting into gear without the clutch. I have another car that loves it though... I only need the clutch getting into first on that thing

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

yup...

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    Back in the day, many shifted with using the clutch while racing. Yes initial use to get off the line, but with rev matching and careful technique, it was pretty easy to shift a British car like a TR4 or MG without using a clutch. Those of you that are under 60 (me included) don't really know about this much. I know about it because a buddy's dad used to race bug-eyed Sprites back in the 50s and 60s. He almost never used the clutch while moving. In the late 70s he took us for a ride in a 1969 VW Type 3 Fastback, slipped the clutch in 1st, then proceeded to shift without the clutch for the rest of the trip. It is a technique and not something to poo poo. It's sort of the reverse of the double clutch. Both work in certain circumstances.

However, for a BMW, unless you are expert at clutch-less shifting, give that pedal a stab.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Hah, I had to do that on my TDI when my clutch disc blew up while driving (the day after a major fueling/power upgrade) and wedged itself between pressure plate and flywheel.
    Drove 25miles home, no clutch actuation at all. It was weird jamming it into first at lights though; the diesel torque could take it, but I'm sure the syncro didn't like it.

I've tried it on my 328is, and it worked, but I can't see why do it on a regular basis.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 08-21-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 bmw z3 M
    i shift , after 1st, clutchless 33 hours a week. not gonna do it in my car. no point in that for me at all. it's one thing to hear gears grinding in a big truck. quite another in a bmw. sounds terrible.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Once launched, I never use the clutch on a bike. And I drove cars without using the clutch routinely back when. Still do when I get one in the shop with bad clutch cable/hydraulics. You ain't doing that with this ZF box. The syncro blocking rings and gear dogs aren't in series like most other boxen; they are in parallel, with the blocking ring leading by a smidge. This is also why the ZFs are so sensitive to fluid and temp. Fall out of the narrow window and you get the dreaded "notch" on engagement. that notch is actually a single tooth crunch because the blocking ring wasn't quite done when the dogs hooked up.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    81 Subaru had the clutch release (cable?) go out when we were going skiing. I just started it in first gear and shifted without clutch for the whole trip. Wasn't a very big deal. But not my Z3M. I want it to shift well forever.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    My E34 is much easier than my E36 and my Z3 for clutchless shifting. my mazda was a breeze too. I'd agree that the transmissions in these cars are harder to drive sans clutch.

also why does everyone think shifting without a clutch automatically means grinding gears and ruining transmissions?
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The 420G is a piece of cake to shift clutchless. I tried it this morning. Likewise the 535 has a Getrag.

Not everyone has the feel and understanding of what's happening and what is needed.

/.randy

My Cars
    M Coupe, A4 Avant , MGB
    I almost never use the clutch when shifting into N when comming to a stop. Just pop it back right as the transmision transitions between loaded and unloaded and it slips right out with zero resistance. Id be pretty shocked if you told me that it was harmfull. Same goes for going into gear, if it didnt require a whole lot more finesse. I used to do it all the time in my MGB, but I would agree with the OP that its far more difficult in the z3.... to the point were I would say its too hard to do clean and consitanly so dont do it unless you have some clutch issue or youre driving home with a broken left foot.