Thread: Race Seat

My Cars
    2006 325i

Race Seat

I just picked up an 01 3.0 that I will be converting to a race car for NASA TT and various other track events.

I am 6'1 and will be having a roll bar with harness bar made but I will want to be able to put the top up.

My question, does anyone here have a seat/bracket recommendation that would get me low enough to fit under a roll bar that is still short enough to close the top with my helmet on?

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    Your going to have real difficulty. depending on the bar...you may get away with one of those aluminum shell seats bolted to the floor...Easy way to work out how low you have to go is measure how much you are over in the current seat them subtract from the current seat height. side mount fix seat can be pretty low.

Z3papa ran a race seat with no bottom cushion but that was just to get him in the car, not to get below any specific height. I'll chjeck what seat he had

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    First off, awesome. I TT mine, and have been doing pretty well. What class are you going for?

Secondly, I have a coupe, so I have no experience with the headroom of the convertibles, but Bryson had made some seat brackets to really get you low in the car. If you have access to equipment, he might send you the file to cut and bend one.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
    First off, awesome. I TT mine, and have been doing pretty well. What class are you going for?

Secondly, I have a coupe, so I have no experience with the headroom of the convertibles, but Bryson had made some seat brackets to really get you low in the car. If you have access to equipment, he might send you the file to cut and bend one.
    Sweet! TT4 to start and move into TT3 with headers, a tune, and some weight reduction. My plan is to put on coilovers, lightweight wheels with a stickier compound tire, cage, and start with some TT4 events. I've done a few HPDE in a miata, but it just wasn't enough on the bigger tracks here in Southern California.

Awesome, I would really appreciate some information on the brackets. I do not have equipment to make them, but a good friend of mine owns a drift car building shop so he does all my work.

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...or-bigger-guys

Here is the discussion thread. If it is OK with him, I still have the file, and can forward it to you. Send him a message and let me know.

I am going to do TT5 next year, driving in TTD this year. TT4 would not be a stretch though. I think I would always podium in 4, even in TTD trim, and with a better hp/wt ratio, I would be able loose a ton of weight.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...or-bigger-guys

Here is the discussion thread. If it is OK with him, I still have the file, and can forward it to you. Send him a message and let me know.

I am going to do TT5 next year, driving in TTD this year. TT4 would not be a stretch though. I think I would always podium in 4, even in TTD trim, and with a better hp/wt ratio, I would be able loose a ton of weight.
    Awesome! Can you message me some pictures of your car? I'd love to get some advice about building a Z3.

I just sent him a message about the seat bracket. Thank you!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M roadster
    I would be interested in both of your build threads. I am in the process of doing the same with my 99 m roadster.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    https://www.ultrashieldrace.com/cata...-Race-Seat/159
    I've used this seat 13 years. You will need to have them shave the left shoulder wing a bit. Ultra-Sheild will do on the line during construction. Well they did 13 years ago for me. My seat has no modification seam on it. The cover was also perfect with no appearance of modification.
    As for bracket. If you don't need or want adjustment, take Saturday morning and fab one up with some basic angle. You will spend the same time trying to make an off the shelf bracket work. And without an adjustable seat, less opportunity for others want to drive the car. I made a bracket that took 5 minutes to install or remove and would do a swap out for a track weekend when I owned the S54 and daily drove it. The seat and bracket is now in Franken Coupe. Holding up very well.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    '00 Z3C, '70 XJ6
    Hey gents, CAD file is free to distribute! This should position recaro seats (maybe others) as low as they'll fit, center them to the original seat location, and not impact the door panel. I'm running recaro profi XL with no riding or rubbing conditions anywhere. There is a setting to go 3/4" lower which would require removing b-pillar trim and possibly making some slight modifications to the seat bottom near the tunnel. I'm 6'3 and fit with a slight lean into the sunroof area with a helmet on so I decided not to go the route of using the lower holes

Good luck!
    Last edited by Bryson; 08-25-2017 at 10:43 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Anyone know if SRD's will fit in a Z3?

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by duckracer View Post
    I would be interested in both of your build threads. I am in the process of doing the same with my 99 m roadster.

Awesome! Are you going to be running in central region then? FYI- I don't really have a build thread. It is basically stock. Just suspension, exhaust, and lots of bushings, exhaust, tune and flywheel. I can make some product recommendations though, if you want.

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    https://www.ultrashieldrace.com/cata...-Race-Seat/159
    I've used this seat 13 years. You will need to have them shave the left shoulder wing a bit. Ultra-Sheild will do on the line during construction. Well they did 13 years ago for me. My seat has no modification seam on it. The cover was also perfect with no appearance of modification.
    As for bracket. If you don't need or want adjustment, take Saturday morning and fab one up with some basic angle. You will spend the same time trying to make an off the shelf bracket work. And without an adjustable seat, less opportunity for others want to drive the car. I made a bracket that took 5 minutes to install or remove and would do a swap out for a track weekend when I owned the S54 and daily drove it. The seat and bracket is now in Franken Coupe. Holding up very well.
    Which size did you go with on that?
    2001 Steel Gray MCoupe - 147,000 miles and owned since new. MCS 2WNR suspension, Hotchkiss swaybar, poly bushings all around, cat delete headers with custom tune, 3.73 LSD, and Clownshoe Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement.

2014 Porsche Cayman S / 2022 BMW X3M Competition / 2020 Ram Rebel