Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Turbo e30 street car

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    I know but I've made it 10 years off of these 600cc injectors I got for 150 bucks. It's time to upgrade.

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Well looks like i am finalizing the ECU selection. Just reviewed with 2 other manufacturers and they cant do the same as the haltech.

Whats everyone's opinion on doing a a bulk head connector for the ecu connection?

two of these https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttiin...RoCS6sQAvD_BwE
    Capital Driving Club Car # 102
    How to turbo your car:
    Step one. Install ecu and learn to tune and or have it tuned.
    Step two. Install injectors and retune.
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    Bima
    a friend used one of these in a volvo it's pretty shweet.

whats up with that price 25 for 33 bux . 1 for 49 bux?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    a friend used one of these in a volvo it's pretty shweet.

whats up with that price 25 for 33 bux . 1 for 49 bux?
    25 for $33 each I'm assuming

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Honestly not sure.

Finally made it to the paint store.

Also two coils in series doesnt help the miss fire.

No easy way to upload via mobile......

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Laid down paint today. Long day but it's done and drying. Also I want to dd this thing the more I drive it haha
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 11-04-2019 at 08:25 AM.

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Finally able to upload some photos, waiting on the clear coat to harden a bit more before i wet sand and install. Also the wife stepped out the other day when it was below freezing so i could give the parts one last rinse down hahah.

While the paint was drying, took the car for a drive around town and put pump gas in it. Its amazing how easily it cold starts on pump gas vs e85. Ill have to dig more into the e85 cold start to get it just right.

Also brake boosted the other day and the car lit the tires up as soon as i hit around 10 lbs. Never experienced that before haha.

Given how well these parts came out i will begin the work on the fenders.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 11-04-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan

Moon

Welp, it looks complete now

20191113_180020.jpg20191113_180011.jpg20191113_175949.jpg20191113_175636.jpg

Going to order new plastics and clean and paint the grills.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Bimmer truck getting the tree.

20191129_130140.jpg

Also going wasted spark, got one coil working last night.
    20191202_193734.jpg
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Back up and running on wasted spark. So far car starts a bit better and no more miss under high load.

Turned up to around 14psi. Track day Sunday at summit point.

I think after this event, ill pull the dash and wrap it again in suede to make it look finished. Some time this winter ill like to turn the power up to 100% DC. Im ready for a new platform and ecu. So over mega squirt. Any know anything of this Haltech Nexus?
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by euro2fast4u View Post
    Well looks like i am finalizing the ECU selection. Just reviewed with 2 other manufacturers and they cant do the same as the haltech.
    What is it that the Haltech can do that whatever other 2 can't?

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    What is it that the Haltech can do that whatever other 2 can't?
    It was the future expansion ability for additional inputs and outputs. I want to be logging a lot of additional sensors as the car progress's. One of the most limiting factors i have now with MS2.

However, the Haltech Nexus R5 is coming out which i may just hold off and buy that thing as it looks to fit a lot of items.
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 12-17-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Honestly, you would be hard pressed to find any in market ECU that doesn't have CAN expansion these days so I would say that Haltech isn't giving you anything exclusive here at all for that specific issue.

re. the Nexus, that is a new complex product - I would exercise caution with that personally.

Have you considered ECU Master? It has very good price/performance ratio, and an insane amount of expansion that they directly offer/support with their own product line. They are also extremely active in support and in adding features/requests.

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Honestly, you would be hard pressed to find any in market ECU that doesn't have CAN expansion these days so I would say that Haltech isn't giving you anything exclusive here at all for that specific issue.

re. the Nexus, that is a new complex product - I would exercise caution with that personally.

Have you considered ECU Master? It has very good price/performance ratio, and an insane amount of expansion that they directly offer/support with their own product line. They are also extremely active in support and in adding features/requests.
    So i reached out to 3 ecu companies.

General question is "in the future i plan on adding additional i/o expanders. What is the maximum number of additional inputs and outputs i can add, given the support infrastructure is there?"

Link Thunder - 8 analog / 8 digital / and 8 temperature Total of 24 I/O.

Elite 2500 - 4 outputs, 4 inputs analog, 4 inputs digital per expander. Total of 24-48 total I/O. (Email stated 24, data sheet says 48)

MaxxECU - Wouldn't state in email but site states - ~30 due to some clarity of there documents.

Ill reach out to ECU master next.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    So i reached out to 3 ecu companies.

General question is "in the future i plan on adding additional i/o expanders. What is the maximum number of additional inputs and outputs i can add, given the support infrastructure is there?"

Link Thunder - 8 analog / 8 digital / and 8 temperature Total of 24 I/O.

Elite 2500 - 4 outputs, 4 inputs analog, 4 inputs digital per expander. Total of 24-48 total I/O. (Email stated 24, data sheet says 48)

MaxxECU - Wouldn't state in email but site states - ~30 due to some clarity of there documents.

Ill reach out to ECU master next.
    Interesting.. well you're looking at a whole lot of expansion, have you mapped out anything on what you would be doing with all that? I'm curious.

re. the Elite 2500 - it is 48 once you add 2x I/O expanders (24/ea).

As for the MaxxECU, their RACE ecu has as much I/O as I think anyone would be able to use without need need of an expander:

Inputs: 6 extra temp, 16 0-5V, 10 digital, 12 EGT. That is after the std. intputs for IAT,CLT,TPS,2x trigger, and it has dual onboard lambda (this is a must IMO).
    Outputs: 30 extra on top of the 16 INJ and 12 IGN outs.

If you really need more than that you can add a CAN expansion module to your liking.

EMU Black will get quite tight compared to the things you listed above - but again there is CAN to expand via their ADU (dash), PMU, or any other CAN module you'd want. Also depending on your time frame, in 2020 they're supposed to release their EMUBlack Pro ECU which will have lots more I/O

I don't want to add confusion to your process, just giving some insight.
    Last edited by NOTORIOUS VR; 12-17-2019 at 08:14 PM.

My Cars
    Bima
    Sorry to butt in here.
    looking at the ecu master
    it says it has auto tune.
    I'm guessing the autotune is pretty much standard now a days?

Allot of options out there
    never heard of any of these ecus. is megasquirt pretty much shit or what.

LOoks suppper profesh.
    ms2 with v3 board cost me like 600 bux back in the day and it's spliced into the stock harness
    total rats nest plus all the soldered in cuircutes. haha. 1,000 for this this basically pro looking unit is eye opening.

Last edited by Robocop; 12-17-2019 at 09:07 PM.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Many ECU's have Autotune, that said most are dumpster fires unless you absolutely know what you're doing IMO so I wouldn't base the decision on an ECU for that specific feature.

And you're right there are a lot of options out there these days, EMU came into the US market very strong with a solid product (that is actively developed) at the entry level price point. There are pros and cons to that of course but it's a solid product with good and importantly active support. The firmware and software is constantly under development which is welcome to see as it moves at a quicker pace compared to some more established brands, but of course if you're willing to play at the edge you can also run into issues (but you don't have to update from a stable version so it's up to you).

What's more impressive is their total suite of products to compliment their line IMO. They have everything you need to go from street car to full out race car at very impressive prices.

I personally despise anything Megasquirt, I've lost count of the number of MS units I've taken out of cars already and when I do have to tune one TunerPro software makes me want to rage quit, I truly loath that SW. And here we turn into another thing, the SW can really make or break the experience of an ECU. Many of the ECU's on the market have issues with their PC software, crashing, stuttering, and other operational issues. The last Haltech car I did reminded me that even the big players have plenty of issues with that part. AEM same thing. Link/Vipec, yep. VEMS, ECU Master and so on.

Personally for me what I do to consider an ECU is, price/feature set (hardware and expansion), software, and active support and updates to the platform.

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    That was the main reason for looking elsewhere, im over MS and tunerstudio. ive spent 10,000 hours over the last 10 years on this thing. I mainly want a change, plus new software that does what i want to do more easily and doesnt nickle and dime you like motec.

Personally for me what I do to consider an ECU is, price/feature set (hardware and expansion), software, and active support and updates to the platform.
    Price is irrelevant if it saves you time and enjoy. Again, think about the 10,000 hours i spent on ms over the years even at a penny an hour.
    Hardware and expansion. This was one of the items that got me looking elsewhere. With what i want to accomplish with the m20 to the last engine swap its gotta fit this.
    Software - i mainly want something different to look at and the ability to quickly (and i mean within 10 minutes) setup inputs and out puts with alarms or controls vs ms where you gotta chase down 10 different manuals via web with wrong info.
    active support - This is number one. Im over over over the amount of time i spent wasted searching for solutions, mailing out units for repair.... So far im the happiest with haltech on this one. There's was most thought out and informative but slightly incorrect.

Heres the current list of items.

M20->M52->M54->N55/N54

Inputs
    Crank position
    Intake/Exhaust Cam position
    IAT x3
    IAT pressure x2
    CLT
    MAP
    Oil Temp
    Trans Temp
    Diff Temp
    Tire temp x12
    Oil Pressure
    Coolant Pressure
    Brake Temps x4
    Ride height Sensor x4
    Shock adjustment position x4
    E85 temp
    E85 %
    Turbo Speed
    WG position
    Wide band eventually 6
    EGTx6
    Knock x2
    GPS
    Accelerometer

59 (assuming gps and accel. are one.)

Output
    6 Spark out
    6 Injection Out
    PWM Fan Control
    Boost control
    Intake/Exhaust Cam control (Vanos)
    DBW
    DISA Control
    Shock adjustment stepper motor x4
    IAC

23 (again assuming they are only classified as one, which is often not the case)

Feature:
    Short term and long term fuel adjustment
    Anti Lag
    Launch control
    Traction control
    Engine Safeties
    Boost by gear

Plus 25% for I/O's for unknown.
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 12-19-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    You seem to have a good grasp on what you're looking for so you'll be good with whatever you choose. Most of the ECU's you're looking at have their software available as well - I recommend you download it and play with them to see what you like/dislike. You'll have to live with it once you pull; the trigger.

N54/55 is DI - not something supported by the ECU's you're looking at unless you convert to port injection. Just something to keep in mind.

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    You seem to have a good grasp on what you're looking for so you'll be good with whatever you choose. Most of the ECU's you're looking at have their software available as well - I recommend you download it and play with them to see what you like/dislike. You'll have to live with it once you pull; the trigger.

N54/55 is DI - not something supported by the ECU's you're looking at unless you convert to port injection. Just something to keep in mind.
    Yup, thats the next thing. Just looked at ecu emu black one last night. Not a fan. Looks like a rough version of haltechs system.

And yea, thats down the line so would probably switch to port for the n55 when ever i get there.

The goal is to pop each engine and find the true stock limits of each and then move on
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    The goal is to pop each engine and find the true stock limits of each and then move on
    Sounds like fun lol

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Should be, and give me just enough time to let the n54 drop in prices.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    So what is everyone else using for injectors? Up and running well on wasted spark and this is the next limitation (besides the ecu which ive started saving for the haltech)

Need something around 1200cc for e85 and to max the turbo.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    03' M5 & 98' M3
    Id1300x^2

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayerN07 View Post
    Id1300x^2
    This

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast