Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Turbo e30 street car

My Cars
    1990 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    So the sealing washers would be adequate except that the stud assembly requires material thickness 0.262"-0.322" which is thicker than the hanger plate lid, so I machined a boss with a step in it and welded it to the hanger assembly.
    Got it thanks for the reply looks like I need my buddy to weld this set up for me. You only used one of the posts for battery power and grounded the pump hanger assembly?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by E30s50dude View Post
    Got it thanks for the reply looks like I need my buddy to weld this set up for me. You only used one of the posts for battery power and grounded the pump hanger assembly?
    I am going to ground the assembly using one of the level sensor studs with a dedicated ground. I, so far, have maintained the stock ground screw on the return tube inside.

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    I looked at mine and I'm still using the oem wiring pass through.

What do you guys recommend for MAT retarding table? I think my intercooler is now at its limits.

Also, reattempted the 60 to 130.

AIM has it at 8.34 seconds in 1,241.6 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNFy...el=euro2fast4u

Also decided to try my hand at tinting again.

120248058_372216957146096_4692672113241533149_n.jpg
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 09-29-2020 at 10:00 PM.
    Capital Driving Club Car # 102
    How to turbo your car:
    Step one. Install ecu and learn to tune and or have it tuned.
    Step two. Install injectors and retune.
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan

(let me know if this photo is viewable for you above)

Trying the rolling two step/anti lag to see if i can get the turbo to spool quicker for the 60-130 times. Im peaking at around 15.9psi, then it drops to 13.8psi. The odd thing with this is its not consistent enough. If i trying 8 times, i may get on two 20 psi. The best actual test was from 17 down to 15psi.

Any thoughts, pull more timing? im at around -10. Wondering if i should go to -30 or more to get it more consistent.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    BMWs
    -10 is not enough

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by euro2fast4u View Post
    Any thoughts, pull more timing? im at around -10. Wondering if i should go to -30 or more to get it more consistent.
    IMO -10 is more than enough and what should happen is you should fix your IAT issues. 176 F on a simple pull holy hell.

Pulling too much timing is just going to skyrocket your EGTs. Keep that in mind.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Pulling too much timing is just going to skyrocket your EGTs. Keep that in mind.
    It is anti-lag afterall

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Well just had enough time to figure out the aim datalogger. Fuel pressure sensor is now in and working. next up trans temp and diff temp.

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Dyno day tomorrow posts your guess, winner gets 5 bucks paypal ready hahaha. We did switch to winter blend so at around e79. We will max out the injectors and see what she ends up. Closest with out going over wins.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Dyno day tomorrow posts your guess, winner gets 5 bucks paypal ready hahaha. We did switch to winter blend so at around e79. We will max out the injectors and see what she ends up. Closest with out going over wins.
    360 whp@ 15 psi
    480 whp@ 25 psi
    660 whp@ 37 psi
    double dog dare @ 54 psi
    WOT

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    360 whp@ 15 psi
    480 whp@ 25 psi
    660 whp@ 37 psi
    double dog dare @ 54 psi
    Ended up at 355ftlb and 409 whp. Found the limits of a few things drove it back home but we need injectors and wg spring.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    95 M3
    Ended up at 355ftlb and 409 whp. Found the limits of a few things drove it back home but we need injectors and wg spring.
    Hopefully those numbers were where you wanted to be?? Interesting how you have 50 more horse powers then torque. I would think they would be closer together, such as 409 whp and 409-ish torques.
    WOT

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    It was a little bit less then I wanted but I also couldnt add any more boost. Got about 40 pulls in and learned a lot. Good time!

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Ended up at 355ftlb and 409 whp.
    Kind of lacking on the details... What boost (I will guess approx. 15-16 psi)? What dyno?

Found the limits of a few things drove it back home but we need injectors and wg spring.
    If it drove home you're good

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Welp i finally got a break to at least give you guys some updates.

Attachment 679816

I originally tried to walk up timing at a steady state but that quickly became to challenging with the dyno. It was way older then expected and had some limitations, as mentioned i also ran into heat issues quickly. Regardless, i ended up doing a pull checking fuel and timing and upping the boost. We got to a point where i could not add any more boost. After the pull i was noticing i was only at about 19psi. However i was very very rich. I ended up pulling fuel and gaining power. We got to a point where i couldn't add any more timing and fuel looked good, but still could not add more boost.

On the way home i hit boost cut at 26psi.

A few days later i reviewed the logs and they were hitting the target perfectly. I re-reviewed the log on the way home and noticed i was way too lean. There is also some issue in tuner studios log viewer that i couldn't determine. (TS log viewer said 19, Megalog viewer is saying 25 from the dyno pulls).

What i am able to determine is a few things:
    -I had one large boost leak, one medium boost leak and one small boost leak. I did not notice these the last time i checked. (I blame this for part of the fueling issues / boost control issues)
    -I'm questioning the exhaust leak i had, i finally found it and is getting repaired. My spool up was 1000rpms higher then on the street. (I think the dyno loading was off)
    -We originally thought my intercooler was too small due to the IAT (I am ordering pressure and temp sensors to monitor the turbo inlet and turbo discharge temp and pressure. IAT were still high, but if we are off the compressor efficiency map, this would explain the high IATs. I am not doubting its at its limit but more curious now how the leaks play a roll. I have a custom 3" in the works that should work well regardless of the issue)
    -I was able to tune the MAT graph to not pull so much timing (This picked up 50hp on the top end)
    -Knock sensor and street tuning appear to be pretty close on the ignition timing.
    -Dyno did not do a rpm hook up, but instead a multiplier, i did not notice until the end of the day that it was wrong. Off by about 900rpms up top (i dont know how much i trust the graphs now with it or power numbers. Last pull was with accurate value)
    -Fuel Pump or filter appears to be clogged or dying. (going to pull the 255 and oem filter and replace with an e85 compatible filter only)
    -Fuel pressure has drastically changed since the road. See video
    -I pulled the air filter and gained 100hp up top (I'm partially thinking this is bc of the way the dyno was loading and boost leaks i had)
    -Fuel adjustment gained another 50hp.
    -The peak power one was all of the things combined and the boost controller shut off plus cooling down for 15 minutes.
    -Rolling Anti Lag works really well at -30 degrees and now roasts the r888 235's in second from 40roll, 3rd still hooks up well at 55mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sAO...el=euro2fast4u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ha...el=euro2fast4u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J70U...el=euro2fast4u

What needs to be reverified
    -Timing and fuel, i believe the dyno was not loading the car correctly or comparably to what I am seeing on the street. I will now confidently use my knock sensor to find knock and pull 1-2 degrees from that point where knock is determined.
    -Boost leak and exhaust leak could had put the turbo out of its efficiency range causing the high IAT issue. (New clamps and leaks are 50% fixed, waiting on hardware to arrive to reinstall the manifold)
    -Injectors weren't maxed but the pressure drop in the fuel rail pressure is concerning. I am waiting on AiM connectors to show up to log fuel pressure. (We will rely on the pressure sensor to record better data and re-evaluate)
    -Once pressure and temp sensors are installed, ill install the larger 4" filter to see the pressure drop difference.
    -After these are taken care of I have located another dyno that should be newer and more accurate.

I think loading the engine comparably to the street was something i wish i knew. I now need to retune that upper part to make sure i have enough fuel. I believe i could have adjusted the ramp rate but was not sure how to check to make sure it was working correctly.

I have to take the print off's that they gave me and then convert to text and then into execl. So the data is going to take some time. No spot for the thumb drive :/
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Finally pulled the trigger on Injectors. 1350x Injector Dynamics that should also be perfect for the m50.

Not sure if i shared this, here is the video from the dyno of fuel pressure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J70U5U6cAls&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=eu ro2fast4u

Regardless, this should help us push the m20 to 30psi? lol i bet it wont make it.

Currently wrapping the dash in suede again and have been very busy with work. Also the AiM dash is getting relocated to the console and my GPS sensor isn't working now :/.

Do you think I should drop the fuel pressure back to 43.5?

I also came to the conclusion that due to where my wg and air filter are was causing the large drop in power. I want to add a mini dump pipe for the wg to get the exhaust to move backwards for the dyno.
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 12-08-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    with injectors of that size there will be no reason to run high rail pressures - bring it down to 45 or 50 psi that will give your pump(s) more overhead as well

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Update time, been completing a lot of various bs tasks that i have been putting off for some time. The biggest is the wiring in the glove box.

131369462_682028852496324_950310446447716359_n.jpg

137526819_881572082579349_2742145198572602791_n.jpg

Next up was the wastegate piping, I realized during the dyno time that part of the reason for the huge power gain from air filter to no air filter was due to the location of the air filer and wg dump. The engine was taking too much exhaust gas causing the power drop and huge rich issues.

136753257_700802640799759_810968719677489158_n.jpg

136044477_213804963689104_379544929248565646_n.jpg

I stopped right before the flex due to not being able to get the vband on the down pipe and be able to remove the downpipe. Eventually ill go to a shop to get the last 10" finished and tied in back to the main straight pipe after the vband.

Next up was the Dash. I decided to finally rewrap it. Wish i snagged a friend to help as it didnt come out 100% perfect. Its probably B status.

137685147_187396576458827_6439554822122857171_n.jpg
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 01-23-2021 at 10:42 PM.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    I also finally mounted the AiM in its permanent position

Attachment 684379

Found the issue with my GPS. a bad joint at the connector. Sent out back to AiM and repaired and sent back.

Attachment 684380

Attachment 684381

Quick fix to all the anti lags ive been doing over the last few months :/

Attachment 684378

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to install the injectors this weekend. Adapters i ordered took a month to arrive and where wrong :/ another few days.

Been working hard on getting the cold start tune. Right now im down to two start attempts. Im confirming if my last change is down to one start. During initial start while its code the engine rpm is low, around 680 -750. I dont run an IAC, but i am thinking of running a valve that opens during warm up only. Its now in the 20's and dont want to have the car outside at the moment.

Next was the catch can. Ive been running to atmosphere for some time but think i had dripping oil from this at times. I am running from the valve cover using the oem hose, to a -10 to the catch can. After the catch can it goes to a Tee where its filtered and then a small line runs to pre-turbo. So far im collecting condensate again which is good.

Attachment 684382
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 01-23-2021 at 10:54 PM.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    mounted the lip, and finished the fogs and brake ducts

Been working on the tuning for the ID's

147151521_237213084563032_2986896878393694047_n.jpg
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    320d
    And which oil do you prefer for turbo e30?
    Valvoline VR1 (visible on the photo) is good?
    Last edited by GregSimon; 02-14-2021 at 10:14 AM.

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Quote Originally Posted by GregSimon View Post
    And which oil do you prefer for turbo e30?
    Valvoline VR1 (visible on the photo) is good?
    Yup, it has the high zinc the m20 needs. I use the 20w-50 due to my engine being very worn and low hot oil pressure.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Installing the ID Fuel Filter in the upcoming weeks.

http://injectordynamics.com/id-f750-fuel-filter/

What have you guys done in the past to go from the OEM fuel rail to AN fittings?

Also one week before this weekends race we had a bad oil pan gasket and rear main seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdelZTyoQHA

Was nuts getting it back together before the race. Too much stress for what it was.

Regardless car ran well no leaks except when i filled up with e85 and ran like garbage. Sending the injectors out to get cleaned as i think leaving the e85 in it for 3 months was too much. Also think i had a coil that decided to die.....

Lastly, what do you guys use for drive shafts? i just noticed i twisted mine right at the CSB spline area. It will break soon im sure.
    How to turbo your car:
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    BMWs
    Installing the ID Fuel Filter in the upcoming weeks.

http://injectordynamics.com/id-f750-fuel-filter/

What have you guys done in the past to go from the OEM fuel rail to AN fittings?

Also one week before this weekends race we had a bad oil pan gasket and rear main seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdelZTyoQHA

Was nuts getting it back together before the race. Too much stress for what it was.

Regardless car ran well no leaks except when i filled up with e85 and ran like garbage. Sending the injectors out to get cleaned as i think leaving the e85 in it for 3 months was too much. Also think i had a coil that decided to die.....

Lastly, what do you guys use for drive shafts? i just noticed i twisted mine right at the CSB spline area. It will break soon im sure.
    Damn, I am liking that filter housing.

Would be cool to put a fuel temp sensor in.

My Cars
    1990 325i
    Cool engine removal vid. How did you go about making the radiator support removable?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast