Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03 E46...Dirty oil at 3k?

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

03 E46...Dirty oil at 3k?

Bought car in March and changed oil-filter-Castrol 05-20 at (116.5k) changed oil- but no filter- and with Castrol again at 117.5 ....since last change, now at 120.1k, I've had to add 2/3 quart and the oil appears absolutely dirty! ..........Anyone???
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 08-21-2017 at 12:12 PM.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    One of oil's amazing properties is to clean the engine while lubricating. Its perfectly normal for conventional oil to be contaminated black at 3k. Especially not knowing the history of the oil the PO used before you bought it.

Also, 5-20 is too thin. Use 0-40 or 5-40 next time with a MANN or Mahle filter.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by dhurley34 View Post
    One of oil's amazing properties is to clean the engine while lubricating. Its perfectly normal for conventional oil to be contaminated black at 3k. Especially not knowing the history of the oil the PO used before you bought it.

Also, 5-20 is too thin. Use 0-40 or 5-40 next time with a MANN or Mahle filter.
    Thank you..I have used MANN religiously from over the years...still do. 05-20 Castrol is BMW recommendation for this e46. My concern here is that in all of my lifetime I have NEVER seen so deeply colored, worn looking, oil. Certainly never within 3 thousand miles between oil change!

Records indicate that my car, an 03 e46, was serviced.

If so, why such dirty oil...I mean REALLY dirty oil?
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 08-21-2017 at 02:09 PM.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Where did you get info on 5-20 being recommended for that car?

With oil, color tells you nothing. Like your trans, get an oil analysis if you're concerned.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    That oil is WAAAAAY too thin for that engine! Go to the dealer and buy 7 quarts of the proper oil.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Please read the following attached, as this is what BMW says you need to run in the car.

Now some of you yanks won't be able to run the LL-04 because it just isn't available in your area.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by dhurley34 View Post
    Where did you get info on 5-20 being recommended for that car?

With oil, color tells you nothing. Like your trans, get an oil analysis if you're concerned.
    My mistake, it is 05-30 Castrol syn I'm using, not 20 weight.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I agree. I posted 5-20...my error. It is 5-30. So what is different about what the dealer uses for oil? ....I do use Castrol synthetic, 5-30 that is.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    I agree. I posted 5-20...my error. It is 5-30. So what is different about what the dealer uses for oil? ....I do use Castrol synthetic, 5-30 that is.
    Well about 3 years ago it would have been the same stuff, however now BMW is using Shell as their provider for oil.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Well about 3 years ago it would have been the same stuff, however now BMW is using Shell as their provider for oil.
    OK I hear you...Are all of this now including SHELL have all of us worried? I mean, and it would not apply to me and my 03 e46, but did Castrol and Shell have a fist-fight...or isn't Shell and Castrol a one-in-the-same organization...does not Shell own Castrol, Valvoline, BP, all except Exxon-mobil?

My Cars
    2003 328i
    It is possible that you have some sludge build up inside that engine. I've seen some bad enough where all you could see under the valve cover are the cam lobes, and when you pull the valve cover off there is a sludge mold of the inside of the valve cover.

Would be interesting to take a look. Your VCG is probably leaking anyway. While you're in there you can see how clean or dirty it is.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Yea..my experience buying used 100k cars have NEVER had such the issue, maybe more 200k!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    There is an old shade tree trick of running ATF thru the motor to help clean the sludge out, normally it takes about a quart and an oil change. Google it and see what pops up.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Please read the following attached, as this is what BMW says you need to run in the car.

Now some of you yanks won't be able to run the LL-04 because it just isn't available in your area.
    LL04 is readily available in all parts of the USA, but definitely not recommended for anything but diesel engines. While USA diesel is ultra-low sulfur, USA gasoline is not (typically 80-200 ppm)

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    OK I hear you...Are all of this now including SHELL have all of us worried? I mean, and it would not apply to me and my 03 e46, but did Castrol and Shell have a fist-fight...or isn't Shell and Castrol a one-in-the-same organization...does not Shell own Castrol, Valvoline, BP, all except Exxon-mobil?
    Shell has never owned Castrol, nor manufactured oils for them. And Shell (also known as Royal Dutch Shell) definitely does not own British Petroleum (BP).

BMW decided to go with a (cheaper? better?) supplier a year or two ago and switched to Shell for OEM oils. This has been well-documented and well covered, especially in the E9x and F3x forums.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    put some of the oil on to a white or light colored plastic lid then look thru the oil then you will see if it's really dirty

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Spectrographic engine oil analysis can also be performed to determine a current 'state' of condition with respect to bearing wear etc. and it will not tell you the whole story.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    you can get the required oil at walmart. They sell it by jug or quart. its the castrol syntec 0w40 and it says european formula on front, also says the various MB and BMW specifications on back. Its the closest you will get to the BMW dealership 5w30

And yes the dealership 5w30 is different than castrol 5w30 syntec. i used to have the specs and data from an oil rep I talked to while at the BMW convention in Vegas.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by 90turbo1 View Post
    you can get the required oil at walmart. They sell it by jug or quart. its the castrol syntec 0w40 and it says european formula on front, also says the various MB and BMW specifications on back. Its the closest you will get to the BMW dealership 5w30

And yes the dealership 5w30 is different than castrol 5w30 syntec. i used to have the specs and data from an oil rep I talked to while at the BMW convention in Vegas.
    Yes sir, I did buy WalMart Castrol 05-30 full synthetic in the black, not gold, 5qt jug and advertised having TITANIUM something or other additives..what ever that is?

Honestly, I don't believe high-end synthetic oil offered by Mobil 1, or Valvoline, or Castrol, or Pennzoil, or any even including WalMart marketed generic synthetic motor oils are so critically different from one another other than price!

As you 90turbo1, are a professional BMW tech, please explain the differences and importances here for me to understand. ...respectfully S, aboard Eaglesail...

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Oils are different between brands. Additives, viscosity at certain temperatures, pour points, flash points... all different.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Yes sir, I did buy WalMart Castrol 05-30 full synthetic in the black, not gold, 5qt jug and advertised having TITANIUM something or other additives..what ever that is?

Honestly, I don't believe high-end synthetic oil offered by Mobil 1, or Valvoline, or Castrol, or Pennzoil, or any even including WalMart marketed generic synthetic motor oils are so critically different from one another other than price!

As you 90turbo1, are a professional BMW tech, please explain the differences and importances here for me to understand. ...respectfully S, aboard Eaglesail...
    http://www.oilspecifications.org/bmw.php
    and
    http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

1st, read the BMW specs, noting that they're all based on the ACEA A3/B3-4 specification (in the 2nd doc.)
    2nd, notice that there are significant differences between the ACEA specs.
    3rd, notice that the BMW specs actually have slightly "enhanced" additive packages, specific viscosity requirements for both cold and hot temps, and other things you can put in oil. Those specs have little or nothing to do with 10W-30 and the SAE "grades", which is why the SAE and viscosity stated are useless to BMW owners. That's why most DIY'ers buy LL-01 or LL-04 (or -14) rather than pay attention to useless information (well, it's not actually useless, but you need to know a whole lot more.)

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG

well for one thing I will say again YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG OIL!!! read what I posted. The closest oil at walmart is the "EUROPEAN" Castrol 0W40!! It is in black bottle/jug, IT SAYS EUROPEAN in bright green on front and is labled as a 0W40.....

NOT your titanium 5w30!!!!

anyhow the main difference in the BMW dealership bleded oil is the flash point. I became aware of this when I met with the oil reps at vegas convention. I simply asked about there oil, there were reps for castrol, and several other brands there promoting there "oils for european vehicles". I asked the rep why is it when I run the Dealership BMW 5w30 in my 2001 superduty ford with the v10 it barely burns any or no oil at all? He asked why I run BMW oil in my ford and I said we get it for next to nothing so why not, actually free... ha ha He stated that the additive package in the oil is different and had all sorts of charts and such for this and the FLASH POINT is much higher.... This being said a hot running engine (like Most BMW's, and possibly my truck) will not cook off the oil as easily. That is quite possible cause I have also ran regular castrol 5w30 syntec (off the shelf) and the truck will burn a quart of oil in 3000 miles. switch back to BMW oil and it stops. I can repeat this over and over.

He also told me the 5w30 that bmw uses is also on the rather thick side of the classification and is kinda inbetween a 40 weight and a 30 weight. rather interesting things. And something I didnt know a 40 weight is over twice as chemically thick as a 30 weight.

I can not count the times I read of posts on here and other sites of people running mobil 1 5w30 or castrol syntec off the shelf and have burning issues.

Also cars that run the BMW oil there whole life show little to no wear, have absolutly no sludge or oil problems. That is from 11 plus years of seing the same cars accumulate 100s of thousands of miles that always come in for dealer service. I have also seen plenty of bmws that look like a jello mold under valve cover due to not the oil inteval but the cheap ass oil they select. Pennsoil comes to mind. lots of parafin wax in that base oil.

hope that helps..
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    ... Pennsoil comes to mind. lots of parafin wax in that base oil.
    So, to emphasize to Eaglesail the fact that it's best to buy the BMW LL-01 oil, and to emphasize that not all "synthetic" oils are the "same", I'll correct your statement.

Pennzoil is made by Shell, the new BMW OEM oil. The LL-01 Pennzoil is the same as the approved LL-01 Shell product (in a different bottle). That product's base is synthesized from natural gas (no base oils involved.)
    http://www.shell.ae/en_ae/motorists/.../pureplus.html
    http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/educat...NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=

There's a lot of nonsense out there on "base oils", PAO, Group V, Group IV, esters, etc. Most of it is nonsense: older BMW OEM oils (Castrol) were made with the the derisive "not-really-synthetic" technology, but seemed to work just fine.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    ok i was refering to the oil the jiffy lubes and fast change places around the dealership i worked would use. most advertised pennsoil. and for whst ever reason we would see the jello mold wax creations under valve covers. most of those cars were getting changed with not synthetic pennzoil or what ever brand.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    ok i was refering to the oil the jiffy lubes and fast change places around the dealership i worked would use. most advertised pennsoil. and for whst ever reason we would see the jello mold wax creations under valve covers. most of those cars were getting changed with not synthetic pennzoil or what ever brand.
    Yeah, I hear you. A couple years ago (before the new Helix became BMW's OEM) I checked the JiffyLube that's a block from our condo. They actually have the correct LL-04 oil for my 335d - although they had to search around for it. You have to be extremely careful at those places to get the correct oil and filter - but then even BMW dealer service has been known to put LL-01 oil into a diesel engine. And even then they try to sell you a $75 air filter that really costs only $25. Bozos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast