Thread: suspension question for our cars

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed

suspension question for our cars

so just curious what your thoughts are that could be my issue. So far my suspension is koni on sport springs, i replaced my front control arm bushings with the whiteline poly ones. everything else is stock. for some reason when i go over some highway bumps or even train tracks the car feels like really crappy and shimmies. I think mainly from the rear. so you think it could be the control arm that are l shaped or the rear upper control arm which are straight? the front feel fine its just the rear when going over tracks or anything does not feel firm. Car still corners fine its just going over rough patch of road or train tracks.....
    Last edited by vien; 08-21-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Probably need to refresh all of the control arms in the rear along with the integral links and the ball joints. I would also recommend replacing the rear subframe bushings and upgrade to bigger sway bars and bushings.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    +1 on Suspension refresh front and rear as all these parts have a 100K Mile life span. Yes, you can drag them on a few more miles if you want. The parts only get more play as they move from worn out to totally loose. The feeling you are getting through the seat of your pants, are all the loading and unloading of each part allowing that wondering feeling at each wheel as the parts are free to wiggle all over the place.

Look up the parts, read all the posting on how to replace them, buy the right tools and stands, and plan on a weekend to replace them all. Add the shocks to your shopping list if not replaced before.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Probably need to refresh all of the control arms in the rear along with the integral links and the ball joints. I would also recommend replacing the rear subframe bushings and upgrade to bigger sway bars and bushings.
    gotcha i already have new m5 RSB and bushings, ill have to look into the subframe bushings as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    +1 on Suspension refresh front and rear as all these parts have a 100K Mile life span. Yes, you can drag them on a few more miles if you want. The parts only get more play as they move from worn out to totally loose. The feeling you are getting through the seat of your pants, are all the loading and unloading of each part allowing that wondering feeling at each wheel as the parts are free to wiggle all over the place.

Look up the parts, read all the posting on how to replace them, buy the right tools and stands, and plan on a weekend to replace them all. Add the shocks to your shopping list if not replaced before.

my shocks are new Koni, as well as the front control bushings are whitelines
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I have the special tool for the subframe bushings, so if you need the tool let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have the ball joint tool.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    thanks guys so went to get alignment with new upper links but now i have to replace either the middle control arm that is l shaped according to what the shop said because something is causing my rear to be negative .47 degree on toe. So they thing its because the l shaped rear control arm could be the cause since everything else is good. hopefully that is the case and something is not bent. But even though it has that minor problem with the alignment everything is tight and nice.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    5series M62B44
    Quote Originally Posted by vien View Post
    thanks guys so went to get alignment with new upper links but now i have to replace either the middle control arm that is l shaped according to what the shop said because something is causing my rear to be negative .47 degree on toe. So they thing its because the l shaped rear control arm could be the cause since everything else is good. hopefully that is the case and something is not bent. But even though it has that minor problem with the alignment everything is tight and nice.
    Think you could replace it with a K&N filter?

Cheers
    Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhawk
    I know first hand that owning a bmw isnt what made hozy the way he is, its just his charm
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    HoZY is good guy and has proven it many times by being a longtime participant in this community.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Quote Originally Posted by HoZy View Post
    Think you could replace it with a K&N filter?

Cheers
    Mat
    Huh? The OP is talking about suspension.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    5series M62B44
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Straight over your head mate.

Cheers
    Mat
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhawk
    I know first hand that owning a bmw isnt what made hozy the way he is, its just his charm
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    HoZY is good guy and has proven it many times by being a longtime participant in this community.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    hes trying to troll but failed. I had a previous thread about K&n filter for cabin filter but i gave my reasoning and it was in response to a stick that was already there.

check out my video gear