Thread: MIA: Ignition Coil Grounding Strap

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5

MIA: Ignition Coil Grounding Strap

So I was doing new plugs today and as I was wrapping up I realized I was missing the Grounding Strap that's nearer to the rear of the engine. This worried me quite a bit considering its part of the ignition system. Could I expect drivability issues from this, also could this be a cause of some of my intermittent starting issues? Thanks all

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Just make a new one. Use a 14 gauge wire with terminals on each end and attach it like the other one is attached. Technically, the coils should be grounded by virtue of being bolted to the head so the ground strap should not be necessary. Having said that, surely the engineers know this and they used a strap anyway. No point in reinventing the wheel, just keep the strap or put a new one on, and drive happy.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3/2/5
    ah I didn't think of it that way, Rather redundant I suppose. Unfortunate though I wish it was that simple for my every now and then misfire and starting issues. haha

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    There are two ground straps for the coils, one for Bank1 and another for Bank2. If your misfire is for the bank where the strap is missing, then it's a clue.

If you have a single cylinder misfire, then swap the misfire coil with another and stop working. Drive the car and wait for the misfire to repeat. If the misfire returns on the same cylinder, then you have a local issue with that cylinder. If the misfire moves with the coil, then you have an issue with that coil. If you suspect the ground, then do your swap with a cylinder from the other bank.

I would expect a bad/missing ground strap for the coils to give a misfire across the bank, not just one cylinder. Bank1 is the three front cylinders, Bank2 is the rear three.

The coil consists of two parts, the coil itself and the boot that goes between the coil and the plug. Do the swap again, but this time keep the coil where it belongs and just move the boot. If the problem follows the boot, then you know what's wrong. If the problem stays with the coil, then you know the problem.