Thread: Starter Issue | Starter Relay Clicking, Have To Cycle Igniton On And Off To Start

My Cars
    95 M3, 95 MX5

Starter Issue | Starter Relay Clicking, Have To Cycle Igniton On And Off To Start

Alright so I've been having this weird issue recently where I'll hop back in my car from doing my thing, go to start it and it wont crank, I have power to everything but the starter just wont turn on, I'll hear the relay clicking, if I cycle the ignition on and off a few times it'll fire right up, sometimes I have to cycle it on and off only a handful of times, other times it's a dozen or so. Sometimes it just flat out won't do it, I'll hop in and it will start no issue. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the ignition cylinder, starter relay or something in the fuse box, or the starter itself. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by Nickkk; 08-20-2017 at 09:03 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Rap on the starter solenoid above starter, while someone simultaneously attempts to start with ignition key.
    A large wrench or small hammer will suffice.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Ignition cylinder sends triggers the relay that powers the starter. Since the problem is intermittent but your starter relay is clicking every time this means your ignition cylinder is sending power to the relay to trigger it. The relay is fine because it's energizing (clicking). The fuse for the starter circuit is probably fine since it's intermittent. If the fuse was blown you'd never be able to start the car. All signs point to starter.

I see you have an OBD1 car....get ready to wrassle!