Thread: E30 Fuel System Unidentified Part

My Cars
    1986 325E

E30 Fuel System Unidentified Part

So i got under the car a few days ago, and saw that a few of my fuel system components look a bit rusty and smell like gas, which im guessing they shouldnt because this most likely means a leak of some kind. I've ordered a new fuel pump and pressure regulator (its sometimes called a damper) and about 3 meters of fuel line. But i dont know what one of the parts is actually called but ive seen it in pictures on other peoples cars as well. I've added a diagram from RealOEM and was hoping someone will know what it is. It is #20 in the diagram, would appreciate the help guys, thanks!
    Screenshot (8).png

My Cars
    A couple of hooptys
    #20 is a fuel dampener. Since the pumps "pulse" a little bit, the dampener helps smooth out the flow of fuel to the rail, which is really also what your FPR does on the rail. You can safely run the fuel system without those dampeners installed. You're on the right track by replacing the fuel lines though; mine were extremely rotted when I did them, and leaking fuel lines can lead to car fires. Get a boatload of new OEM hose clamps from the dealership, and now is the time to replace your fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently. Also, there is a great fuel line snipper available at Harbor Freight for around $7 that made perfect cuts in the 8x13mm fuel hoses. Don't cheap out on fuel line; the ContiTech 8x13mm hose will actually say BMW on it (without the dealership markup), and it what you want. Do one hose at a time rather than ripping it all out and wondering which line went where. Piece of cake!

1997 328i/4/5 - Cosmosschwarz Metallic on Dove Grey - Auto/Manual Swap - M3 Bilstein Sport/H&R Sports (95 M3 mounts) - Offset M3 LCAB - 20mm M3 rear sway bar - X-Brace - AA Tuning Strut Tower Bar - Rogue Engineering RSM - Dinan Cat-Back - 3.38 LSD - E46 330 front/328 rear brakes - SS Brake Lines - E36 fitment Style 42's (staggered) - M3 Front Bumper - M3 side moldings - M3 Rear Diffuser - DJ Auto Headlights (6k HIDS) - Frenched Fogs - OEM Clear Tails - E65 Rearview Mirror (Homelink controls + Autodim) - Alpine Type S Cabin Speakers (6x9 Retrofit) - 8" JVC woofer - Black Kidneys - Red Needles/Chrome Gauge Rings - OEM Alarm - Full Interior/Trunk LED Lighting - Mishimoto Full-Aluminum Radiator - More to Come!

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0172

I believe that's been superseded by a bent hose, PN 16121178823. In fact, it may also be replacing 18 and 19. You may be thinking about the absorber 16121178035. #14 in diagram. Do image searches on those part numbers.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1986 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by jagerking View Post
    #20 is a fuel dampener. Since the pumps "pulse" a little bit, the dampener helps smooth out the flow of fuel to the rail, which is really also what your FPR does on the rail. You can safely run the fuel system without those dampeners installed. You're on the right track by replacing the fuel lines though; mine were extremely rotted when I did them, and leaking fuel lines can lead to car fires. Get a boatload of new OEM hose clamps from the dealership, and now is the time to replace your fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently. Also, there is a great fuel line snipper available at Harbor Freight for around $7 that made perfect cuts in the 8x13mm fuel hoses. Don't cheap out on fuel line; the ContiTech 8x13mm hose will actually say BMW on it (without the dealership markup), and it what you want. Do one hose at a time rather than ripping it all out and wondering which line went where. Piece of cake!
    No i've already bought part number #14 ,yes it is a fpr or dampener, i want to know what part number #20 is in this diagram.Ive found a photo online with the same configuration that i have on my e30, it is labeled as a fuel filter , and is on the far left of the photo. I havent been able to find the part anywhere online or in the bentleys manual. I am curious because my car has this and the part is quite rusty, also because my car already has a fuel filter farther along on the system next to the charcoal canister. So if anybody knows what the part number #20 is called in this photo please let me know. imag81991.jpg
    Last edited by andrewliebner; 08-22-2017 at 03:55 PM.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    As I said before, #20 is NLA (no longer available) and has been replaced by the hose. The entry at the link describes the part as a DAMPING UNIT.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.