Thread: Oil consumption - Should I be concerned?

My Cars
    2013 F150 Ecoboost

Oil consumption - Should I be concerned?

So I just purchased a 2008 328i convertible with 52K miles on it. Before I drove it home I checked the oil using the dash controller and the line was right between the O and the K. I drove it 500 miles home and then the line was right at the beginning of the O.

I then added a quart of oil and it then moved up the the max line on the status bar. By my estimations a 1/4 quart of oil would have put it back between the O and K where it was when I started. If that is right then my best guess is that equals about a quart of use every 7000 miles?

So..Should I be concerned? Is the oil meter gauge accurate and is this using WAAAY too much oil or is the oil meter like most gauges in cars and not entirely accurate? Is it common for this year to leak and if so where (I will search but I just thought I would ask while here)

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I think there is some variability in the oil level reading, and it may differ slightly from temperature. I would not be concerned about a quart of oil being used in 7000 miles. I would be a little unhappy about a quart in 2500 miles, and any more oil consumption than that could indicate a problem. As far as leaks go, the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket are fairly common, the others are pretty rare. The oil filter housing gasket can allow oil and coolant to mix in rare circumstances, updated gasket designs prevent this. The 328i is a great car, congratulations on the purchase.
    BTW, the recommended oil change intervals are a little long, I would suggest changing the oil by 7000 miles and using an LL-01 approved synthetic.

My Cars
    2008 328xi Sportwagon
    Agreed with RocketSurgeon on all points. The dash level check is not highly accurate IMO, and I have no problem with an engine that uses a quart in 7K miles. In fact, if you change your oil and filter just before it's a quart low, you will get longer engine lift and probably prevent the oil consumption from increasing. BMW's oil change intervals are too far apart.