Thread: Has anyone figured out kick panels on E39?

My Cars
    2002 E39

Has anyone figured out kick panels on E39?

I got a brand new kick panel for my 02 E39, only problem is, it appears the only way to get it on there is to break the tabs in the back because they are in the way when trying to wrestle this thing in there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '03 525iAT

Kick panels

They ARE a bitch to remove and install. I bought an M dead pedal from ECS tuning, because the sand beige looked so plasticy cheap. I think only the top tab is in there solid, but it's all holding just fine. The one near the floor withstood a lot of twisting and swearing when I was pulling it out.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Hehe, I swore a lot too when I had to fix my hood latch cable.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2002 E39

Installing kick panel

Quote Originally Posted by dohalloran View Post
    They ARE a bitch to remove and install. I bought an M dead pedal from ECS tuning, because the sand beige looked so plasticy cheap. I think only the top tab is in there solid, but it's all holding just fine. The one near the floor withstood a lot of twisting and swearing when I was pulling it out.
    So, how did you put the new one in? It is so tight, I think I can get it in there if I break off the two smaller legs without rubber stoppers, I just thought someone knew how to twist it in there. I am beginning to think the bottom dash panel has to come off. It appears the floor trim(s) was first, then working your way up? Then, the lower dash panel.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by 57retsoor View Post
    ...I am beginning to think the bottom dash panel has to come off. It appears the floor trim(s) was first, then working your way up? Then, the lower dash panel.
    Looks like you may have answered your own question.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    You guys were trying to do this with the bottom dash panel still on??? Of course it has to be off, and even with that, it is still a pain in the butt!!!

My Cars
    2002 E39

Removing bottom dash panel

Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    You guys were trying to do this with the bottom dash panel still on??? Of course it has to be off, and even with that, it is still a pain in the butt!!!
    Thanks for the missing piece of information.
    Removal of lower dash panel to replace/install new kick panel:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...el_Removal.htm
    Last edited by 57retsoor; 08-20-2017 at 09:19 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Man, I was on the side of the road when I realized the bottom panel had to come off to pull the panel out. Pretty obvious as a matter of fact, a no brainer, sorry I forgot to tell you so. My cable had popped loose when I tried to open the hood, my radiator hose had popped off the thermostat housing. A good samaritan stopped and gave me a gallon of coolant. Dude saved my butt, doing that. I even bled the system on the side of the road, got the car back home. Key of the moment, I was able to pop the hose back on. But I noticed that it had broken a chunk off the coupler's ridge, where it couples up to the thermostat housing. So as I drove the ten miles home, I had the heat set as high as possible to ease some pressure, praying it would hold, it did. I did have to get to work, thank god for having extra E39's, managed to order the parts from the NAPA near the house, snatched them up on the way home, new thermostat housing, all the hoses. fixed the 528 that same night.
    So back to the kick panel, it was such a b!tch, I hooked up the cable to the latch handle, screwed it back on and drove the car for almost a week without the kick panel, before I started cursing, putting it all back on.

So after all that, let me ask all you guys unsure of yourselves when it comes to survival and some common sense. If the Internet were to get shut down tomorrow, would you be able to figure things out and be able to survive? I sure hope so, I know I would.... Good luck out there.