Thread: Help unlock the trunk without the key (locked electronicaly, doors open)

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8

Help unlock the trunk without the key (locked electronicaly, doors open)

Long story short, while working on the car, locked only key in the trunk (locked electronically only). Doors are open.

I am thinking about accessing body electronics module (ZKE IV) under the glove box, remove black 15 pin connector X13252 and try to add wire from positive terminal under the hood to connectors pin 9 (or is it pin 2)?

Is this the right direction? Or there are some other easier ways to do that?

Will try first thing tomorrow, as now it's dark if there will be no other suggestions.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    How did you lock the trunk with the lid open electronically. Is you alarm switch bypassed ? Mine won't lock if open. I just ordered a replacement key from BMW. It was $68. You will need your original key though to make it work unless it can be added though INPA. Now there's a thought can INPA cycle the lock ?
    Last edited by z3forlife; 08-19-2017 at 04:36 PM.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    How did you lock the trunk with the lid open electronically. Is you alarm switch bypassed ? Mine won't lock if open. I just ordered a replacement key from BMW. It was $68. You will need your original key though to make it work unless it can be added though INPA. Now there's a thought can INPA cycle the lock ?
    I have some aftermarket alarm on car with aftermarket key fob. So I was working on tail lights inside the trunk with the car doors open and keys in my pocket, then some buttons pressed on keyfob inside pocket by accident, probably car locked, and after some time alarm started, I pushed the buttons to stop the alarm (stopped it, but probably didn't unlocked), put the keys in the trunk to not start the alarm again and after finishing the work just closed the trunk lid and it stayed locked as it was locked previously. Didn't know the original alarm doesn't lock the trunk if it's open, will need to look into that later.

Can't connect car to INPA without the key to turn on ignition :/
    Last edited by deni2s; 08-19-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: INPA needs key

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I also had the same thought, INPA should be able to activate and perform a lock/unlock test.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    I also had the same thought, INPA should be able to activate and perform a lock/unlock test.
    Yeah, but to connect to INPA, ignition must be in position II, can't do that without the key?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, can someone with INPA check if there are lock/unlock tests under Central Body Electronics ZKE4 module? Maybe it would be easier to access ignition wires than ZKE IV module itself?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    You're right, maybe use this situation as an excuse obtain a new key?
    This exact scenario highlights the need to always have a spare key.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    To get INPA to unlock, you will need to manually spin the ignition switch to get all accessories to power on. It's possible, you have to pull ignition switch from the back of the steering column, and manually spin it to on.

Although before all that...

Did you try sitting in the car and pushing the door's lock button down, and then pulling on the inside handle to perform the unlock? On my z3, it unlocks all doors and trunk when I do that.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    (And FYI: In INPA, go to ZKE IV > Activate menu > Outputs > Motors > Choose only "Motor CL Unlock" and click OK. It will unlock everything)
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    If you get a new key you can unlock it. It won't start without the original but it will unlock. Abel I tested pulling the inner door handle when locked by remote. It wouldn't unlock(makes sense). My new key turned the ignition lock but the starter did nothing until I first used the original then the new but it did turn on modules

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    You're right, maybe use this situation as an excuse obtain a new key?
    This exact scenario highlights the need to always have a spare key.
    Getting another key was on my list.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    To get INPA to unlock, you will need to manually spin the ignition switch to get all accessories to power on. It's possible, you have to pull ignition switch from the back of the steering column, and manually spin it to on.
    Thanks for this info! This might work if you are sure INPA can unlock!

- - - Updated - - -

(And FYI: In INPA, go to ZKE IV > Activate menu > Outputs > Motors > Choose only "Motor CL Unlock" and click OK. It will unlock everything)
    Looks like it can!

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try sitting in the car and pushing the door's lock button down, and then pulling on the inside handle to perform the unlock? On my z3, it unlocks all doors and trunk when I do that.
    That works my other (us) z3 like that, but not on this one, probably because of that aftermarket alarm system/fob, whatever it is.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    INPA doesn't connects to ZKE4, probably because of EWS issue?

Any other ideas?

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Got the key! Reached for ZKE IV module behind the glovebox, both opening/closing wires (pin 2 and pin 9 - next two pins to black pin1) were disconnected even from connector (probably for aftermarket key fob), but connecting wire from + terminal under the hood to one of the pins (one is for opening and other for closing) opened everything. So INPA probably wouldn't help me anyway.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Sounds like you need to remove the aftermarket alarm system before it bites you again.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Sounds like you need to remove the aftermarket alarm system before it bites you again.
    I need to order some spare keys. That aftermaket alarm system is not so bad, has ultrasonic sensors, different interesting options.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Yes. Interesting options like arming with open doors. It really shouldn't do that

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    I need to order some spare keys. That aftermaket alarm system is not so bad, has ultrasonic sensors, different interesting options.
    Why do you eve have an alarm system, do you have a car theft problem in Riga? Yours have to be the only 2 Z3's in the entire country--if someone did steal it they'd never get away.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Why do you eve have an alarm system, do you have a car theft problem in Riga? Yours have to be the only 2 Z3's in the entire country--if someone did steal it they'd never get away.
    We have around 65 z3 in Latvia registered. Probably the same amount or more in Estonia and Lithuania near. Some drug users are stealing car mirrors, some are stealing headunits and bags from car by breaking windows. Or headlights (depends on car model) or even wheels. And some cars got stealed and transported to other countries (sometimes disassembled), or you will find them left damaged in some forest.