Thread: 2007 BMW X3 3.0sii 105,000 Miles

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3

2007 BMW X3 3.0sii 105,000 Miles

Hello X3 Owners,

I recently purchased a Blue Exterior/ Beige Interior 2007 X3 3.0si that is 105,000 Miles into its life. Service records show it as a single owner vehicle which has been routinely maintained at BMW with its last inspection/service/oil and filter change at 95,000 Miles.

Upon purchase I detailed the entire car. Yesterday, I changed the In-Cabin Airfilter and Intake Airfilter.

Next, I am intending to undertake the following services; Oil/Filter Change, Steering Fluid/Reservoir Change, Coolant Change, and Transmission Fluid/Filter change.

Thereafter, I am intending to change the plugs, coils, transfer case and differential fluids.

I understand transfer case, differential and transmission fluids are "Lifetime". I also understand BMW unofficially considers 100K "Lifetime" and there is a strong consensus to change the fluids via a drain/fill not a flush/fill at or around 100K Miles. I wanted the forums thoughts on this.

I also wanted to know your thoughts on the above list of services and what I should add to the list. I am not a mechanic but have been working on my own cars for 20 years. I am new to BMW and glad to have found such an extensive aftermarket of parts and information.

The X3 is running well. My immediate concern is two issues;

The steering seems tight at low speed requiring additional effort to steer. No noise from the Steering Pump, lights etc. Tires are properly inflated and there is no indicator of a specific issue at this time. It seems marginally tighter than the many other X3's I test drove but much tighter than your average car/suv. As I said, I am new to BMW and thought this might be how the cars are engineered.

The second issue is idle fluctuation when stopped at a light. The idle seems to dip then abruptly rise. The change is within 200RPM or less and is noticeable if you are tuned into the car. My GF didn't notice it. My father didn't notice it until I pointed it out. Not sure if this is common on higher mileage X3's and if there is a known fix but would appreciate advice on the issue. I am considering the possibility plugs and coils may address. I am also wondering about the 02 Sensors?

Thanks Again. I look forward to participating in this community.
    Last edited by RadoX3; 08-19-2017 at 01:41 PM.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    I can report the idle fluctuation seems to have worked itself out. I don't know if its a result of actively driving on a daily basis and the car being run or the techron that I added to the last full fill up.

The steering issue seems to be improving as we'll. I did take a picture of the fluid in the reservoir and it is light brown/gold. The reservoir indicated CHFS 11 as required fluid and I have been told that it is generally green in color? Thoughts?

As of right now the light bulb indicator is lit but I cannot identify a bulb that is not functioning. I did replace the side markers with genuine BMW side markers. The light did not come on for about 1 week after the replacement and followed two other dash lights which I will describe in the following paragraph.

The Dynamic Stability Control (4X4) and Brake light were briefly on immediately prior to the bulb indicator staying on. I drove about a mile to a local store shut the car off and both the DSC and and Brake lights did not reappear. The Light Bulb indicator did then appear and has been on since.

I purchased a CARLY for BMW Bluetooth Adapter and downloaded the Lite Version of the APP but was not impressed. I found many of the functions are not available to the 07 X3. Thus, I am looking for something else. Maybe FOSEAL & OBD2 Doctor?

Any help relating to this post and the one above would be appreciated.

Thanks

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The x3 has adaptive brake lights, I think it's in the hatch, when you brake harder they light up more. Check for a fault that would be stored for it., if no other bulbs are out.