Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E34s are rare sight these days?

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Saw a nice E28 528e just last night. Even with the diving board bumpers, it looked so trim, clean and crisp next to all of the other marshmallow-cream lumps in the lot next to it. Of course, one of the exhaust system hangers was busted so the tailpipes were canted at a strange angle, but oh well... I had a hard time finding my E46 because it was hunkered down between a Kia and some nondescript "crossover," whatever the heck that is. I think it was hiding from me. I swear I heard it chuckle when I finally located it.

My Cars
    e34 525i
    What I dont really get is how is it possible that an e30 gets all that hype and the e34 is like... its not at the same level... However, for me, the e34 is a lot more special and better built than an e30 by far...
    I mean, here in Spain the e30's are expensive. A lot actually, dont really know there in the USA, but here a 325i e30 could be in between 6K to 15K for a normal/good unit. An e30 m3 is no less than 50 to 60K € which I believe is A LOT of money for that car. However, an m50tu e34 is no more than 3K $ maybe. A very good example could be about 5K $. An e34 m5 is about 10K $. A manual 540i is about the same price as an m5. Maybe a little less.
    And that is weird cause they are becoming more and more rare but I dont think they get the recognition or value they deserve compared to the e36 (which are crazy expensive aswell, but not as much as e30's) or e30's which, by my standpoint of view are clearly inferior to the e34...
    Problem here is that you can still see a lot of 520i and 525 tds, which are great cars aswell (525 tds especially) but they dont have the same prestige as a 535i or the v8s... most of them are garbage...
    So no, it's still not a rare sight over here... I see them nearly everyday...

However e30s and e36... specially e30s... they are becoming real classics... I think the e34 will have a lot of value someday... even a 520i... same as the e30s... but it is not its time yet...
    Last edited by 4dri4n; 08-20-2017 at 12:01 PM.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dri4n View Post
    What I dont really get is how is it possible that an e30 gets all that hype and the e34 is like... its not at the same level... However, for me, the e34 is a lot more special and better built than an e30 by far...
    I mean, here in Spain the e30's are expensive. A lot actually, dont really know there in the USA, but here a 325i e30 could be in between 6K to 15K for a normal/good unit. An e30 m3 is no less than 50 to 60K € which I believe is A LOT of money for that car. However, an m50tu e34 is no more than 3K $ maybe. A very good example could be about 5K $. An e34 m5 is about 10K $. A manual 540i is about the same price as an m5. Maybe a little less.
    And that is weird cause they are becoming more and more rare but I dont think they get the recognition or value they deserve compared to the e36 (which are crazy expensive aswell, but not as much as e30's) or e30's which, by my standpoint of view are clearly inferior to the e34...
    Problem here is that you can still see a lot of 520i and 525 tds, which are great cars aswell (525 tds especially) but they dont have the same prestige as a 535i or the v8s... most of them are garbage...
    So no, it's still not a rare sight over here... I see them nearly everyday...

However e30s and e36... specially e30s... they are becoming real classics... I think the e34 will have a lot of value someday... even a 520i... same as the e30s... but it is not its time yet...
    So how much seat time do you have in an E30? I have 510,000 miles on mine, and 496,000 of them have been put on them by my family and me.

We've put, combined, maybe 175,000 miles on our two E34s - a 535i/5 and an M5. The E34s are bigger, heavier, more complex, and have steering that is nowhere as good as that on the E30. But they are extremely satisfying to drive in their own right, and the two we own feel very different from each other, even though they are siblings. As a daily driver, I prefer the 535 to the M5, if for no other reason than its bottom-end torque. The M5, however, driven properly, is the most satisfying car I've ever driven.

With that in mind, every time I drive the old E30, I get a grin on my face that goes from ear to ear. I can't tell you why - maybe rather than getting into it, it feels like I'm putting it on, like a good set of running shoes. There's no doubt the E30s are becoming cult classics, for whatever reason, and I say bravo.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by atl530i View Post
    I don't see many around the metro Atlanta area anymore. Usually when one does pass by, it's beat to hell and not well maintained. The nicer E34's around now are enthusiast owned and even some of those are beat to hell lol.
    This really made me laugh, I am one of those guys that gets excited about owning a rough bimmer. There's just so much to love, I'm going to miss my e39.

I did however get to see a red e34 with m5 badges pull into the parking lot where I work a few days ago. Didn't get a chance to check it out. Only e34 I've seen on the street. Even in Chicago people that know my car from the PO stop me sometimes, so I'd say a rare sight in the rust belt.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyj View Post
    This really made me laugh, I am one of those guys that gets excited about owning a rough bimmer. There's just so much to love, I'm going to miss my e39.

I did however get to see a red e34 with m5 badges pull into the parking lot where I work a few days ago. Didn't get a chance to check it out. Only e34 I've seen on the street. Even in Chicago people that know my car from the PO stop me sometimes, so I'd say a rare sight in the rust belt.
    Rough bimmer owners club unite lol.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chauffeur View Post
    I live in Hipsterboro, so what you always see are the "suddenly cool" cars like Volvo 240's and SAAB 900's (but then again, those ones can survive nuclear fallout); I've seen just a couple of E34's and E32's around. It's a great advantage at a full parking lot, when you can discern your car from the rest of silver, boring-looking lumps ; only adult stares I get are because of the crappy paint, I bet , but kids loooove it... They must see it as such a weird, low, wedge-shaped spaceship compared to everything else they see on the road...

I get the same looks, kids are like "oh wow! Look" so I wave and rev a little, parents are like "ew gross look away"

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport

I have a rough E34 wagon that I am working on and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm having a good time putting it back together. Click on the link in my 92 525it and you'll see how much fun it's been

For where I live at, I see more beater E34's than I do really nice E34's. Just facts.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    My 525 now sports duct tape across the top of the windshield. The trim decided to launch itself on the interstate about three weeks ago. Luckily it stayed on the car and did not spear a fellow traveler. I looked into getting new trim but passed when I saw the cost was $175 per side. I need to refresh the tape as three weeks in the elements have taken their toll. Clearcoat is going south; front bumper has a chunk out of the passenger side; driver door has a big dent (now showing rust). Interior is still pretty nice and it runs nicely so maybe doesn't qualify as rough quite yet.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by GregT53 View Post
    My 525 now sports duct tape across the top of the windshield. The trim decided to launch itself on the interstate about three weeks ago. Luckily it stayed on the car and did not spear a fellow traveler. I looked into getting new trim but passed when I saw the cost was $175 per side. I need to refresh the tape as three weeks in the elements have taken their toll. Clearcoat is going south; front bumper has a chunk out of the passenger side; driver door has a big dent (now showing rust). Interior is still pretty nice and it runs nicely so maybe doesn't qualify as rough quite yet.
    Scotchtape, this is what a friend did when the clips failed.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/a...8&d=1495823546

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    I get the same looks, kids are like "oh wow! Look" so I wave and rev a little, parents are like "ew gross look away"

Quote Originally Posted by GregT53 View Post
    I feel your pain... Some of the parts are getting ridiculously overpriced lately, so I've been "redneck-engineering" mine quite a bit; the gasket on my windshield trim was starting to look like it was attacked by a squirrel on meth, so I tried to level it with an x-acto and used black gasket maker (and lots of masking tape) to somewhat refresh it... Not perfect, but it looks way better than when I bought it!

Mine has also the clearcoat cancer... besides, the paint is as shiny as a piece of 800 grit sandpaper. Good thing is (knock on wood), it still runs very decently, and I enjoy every minute behind the wheel!

My Cars
    1989 535i
    I've only ever seen 9 on the road since I bought mine a few years ago and only one was a 535 (which was painful to look at since the owner covered it in stickers, let the paint go and seemingly never washed it).

I also remember being out for coffee with a coworker about 6 months after I bought the car and I spotted a Dolphin Grey one at traffic lights. I got probably too excited and nudged him and said "Look! Someone else has got an E34!". To be fair though, it was the first time I'd seen another one since I'd bought it.

My Cars
    BMW
    I see them once in a while around here. Usually in decent condition for their age which is impressive considering the amount of salt that's used around here. Usually 535i's but occasionally M5 sightings or 540ia. Been a while since I've seen an M540i.

I agree that E34s are under appreciated vs the E30 & the W124 in the market. W124's and E30's both feel and look old when you get inside them. E34's have aged better. I have ppl get in my car that don't care about cars and they have no idea how old it is.

My Cars
    1995 540i & 1996 328i
    A black 525i pulled up behind me at a light tonight.I figured It was a five speed and he confirmed. Sounded like a catalyst delete. Looked dated to some degree without smilies and a wide grill

My Cars
    92 M5
    Oddly I saw a white 525 sedan go by me the other direction when I went into Winnipeg on Sunday. I believe it had been for sale as well as it had no license plates on it.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    I see mine sitting on jackstands in my garage every day! But that is pretty much it.

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    Quote Originally Posted by atl530i View Post
    I don't see many around the metro Atlanta area anymore. Usually when one does pass by, it's beat to hell and not well maintained. The nicer E34's around now are enthusiast owned and even some of those are beat to hell lol.
    Jeez man. I painted it!

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    Quote Originally Posted by imola38 View Post
    As Atl530 said, they are a rare sight in the ATL area. For whatever reason, when I do see one it seems to always be Oxford Green/beige 525i. I've seen probably 3 of them, and they didn't appear enthusiast owned in the least as they were in various stages of ragged condition.

The M60 cars seem to have all but disappeared save for mine and the forum goers. I think the higher maintenance kills them off faster than the 6 cyl versions.

It's a shame that they are so few and far between. I don't get to see my car going down the road as I'm the only driver, but that front fascia, especially when cornering hard, brings me back to my childhood and the old BMW adverts.

Ben
    You're in Atlanta? And have an imola e38? Who are you? Lol

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    Alpina B7/4.6is/E34 540
    Quote Originally Posted by Trasportador View Post

You're in Atlanta? And have an imola e38? Who are you? Lol

Lol, I'm in the north Atlanta (Dunwoody) area.

As a matter of fact, about 10 yrs ago I owned an '01 Imola red 740i shorty sport.

Loved the car, but after a while I simply found it to be too much red on such a large car. It definitely grabbed attention, and not all of it was welcome. Also I got asked daily "when did you get it painted?" No one believed that was a factory option.

Being young and dumb, I traded it at an Orlando dealer and lost my ass, but wound up with an '02 X5 4.6is. There have been many, many more since then as the affliction continues

Did you own one?

Located in ATL? The phone app doesn't offer locations apparently.

Ben

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson42 View Post
    So how much seat time do you have in an E30? I have 510,000 miles on mine, and 496,000 of them have been put on them by my family and me.

We've put, combined, maybe 175,000 miles on our two E34s - a 535i/5 and an M5. The E34s are bigger, heavier, more complex, and have steering that is nowhere as good as that on the E30. But they are extremely satisfying to drive in their own right, and the two we own feel very different from each other, even though they are siblings. As a daily driver, I prefer the 535 to the M5, if for no other reason than its bottom-end torque. The M5, however, driven properly, is the most satisfying car I've ever driven.

With that in mind, every time I drive the old E30, I get a grin on my face that goes from ear to ear. I can't tell you why - maybe rather than getting into it, it feels like I'm putting it on, like a good set of running shoes. There's no doubt the E30s are becoming cult classics, for whatever reason, and I say bravo.

I'm assuming several E30s but still impressive miles accumulated.
    No seat time at all myself in an M5 but lots of it in pedestrian E34s and also various E30s. I agree wholeheartedly with your big grin when driving E30s, they are, as I like to say, as fun as a barrel full of monkeys. E34s are perhaps one of the last true driver's sedans.
    saw shitbox E30 vert today on the road which made me a bit sad.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    No seat time at all myself in an M5 but lots of it in pedestrian E34s and also various E30s. I agree wholeheartedly with your big grin when driving E30s, they are, as I like to say, as fun as a barrel full of monkeys. E34s are perhaps one of the last true driver's sedans.
    Nope, one and only one E30. 510,000 miles. Original engine went to 409,000 before I built another one to replace it. Even then it still ran out pretty well, but it started fouling the #6 spark plug every 2500 miles because the valve stem seals were shot, so I figured why not, build another motor. I'll keep it forever.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Rusty E30s make amazing shitboxes, somebody's having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson42 View Post
    Nope, one and only one E30. 510,000 miles. Original engine went to 409,000 before I built another one to replace it. Even then it still ran out pretty well, but it started fouling the #6 spark plug every 2500 miles because the valve stem seals were shot, so I figured why not, build another motor. I'll keep it forever.
    wow
    Last edited by XAlt; 08-23-2017 at 10:14 PM.

You occasionally see them in the upstate ny area, a lot of the time its just someone that is older driving around in their stock 525. I stick out like a sore thumb in my red e34 , for that matter you dont really see many clean and real e36 m3s around.
    Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel! ... oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.

88 Alpineweiss / black E30 M3 -Project.
    Brilliantrot / black US SPEC 3/90 prod e34 M30b35 535i 5spd - Modded.
    98.5 Tiag Silber /black e36 m3 - Modded.
    99.5 Estoril Blau /dove e36 m3 - Modded.
    07 Crimsonrot /black E83 X3 6spd - Stock..

My Cars
    93 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Neel View Post
    You occasionally see them in the upstate ny area, a lot of the time its just someone that is older driving around in their stock 525. I stick out like a sore thumb in my red e34 , for that matter you dont really see many clean and real e36 m3s around.
    I am about an hour north of NYC and there are 3 E34 sedans in my immediate area that Ive seen around lately. All, 525i's - A red in what looks like really decent shape- only seen it parked, a white- decent shape as well and a black in not so good shape, gave the kid driving a thumbs up one day and his smile was priceless. Unfortunately, only once while driving my touring did I spot another E34 and we both seemed to be in a hurry, but not so much that we didn't give each other a thumbs up!!! On that day, I had gone to a car show/fundraiser for Seeing Eye Dogs(Porsches) with a buddy who owns a Grand National and he was truly amazed at the attention my touring received, admittedly so was I - Seeing that everyone in my family hates the car, LMAO!!! Im motivated to keep her and drive her bit more now.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by E34 Estate View Post
    I am about an hour north of NYC and there are 3 E34 sedans in my immediate area that Ive seen around lately. All, 525i's - A red in what looks like really decent shape- only seen it parked, a white- decent shape as well and a black in not so good shape, gave the kid driving a thumbs up one day and his smile was priceless. Unfortunately, only once while driving my touring did I spot another E34 and we both seemed to be in a hurry, but not so much that we didn't give each other a thumbs up!!! On that day, I had gone to a car show/fundraiser for Seeing Eye Dogs(Porsches) with a buddy who owns a Grand National and he was truly amazed at the attention my touring received, admittedly so was I - Seeing that everyone in my family hates the car, LMAO!!! Im motivated to keep her and drive her bit more now.
    OK, I'm having a really hard time parsing the comment about "...fundraiser for Seeing Eye Dogs (Porsches) with a buddy owns a Grand national..." ROFL! Your Touring and his GN were probably a lot more rare than many of the cars at the event!

Quote Originally Posted by E34 Estate View Post
    I occasionally go to Cars and Coffee in Yorktown at the BJ's. There is definitely a strong BMW contingent that shows up, you should go. I'm further north but Im hoping to start work in wappingers soon.
    Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel! ... oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.

88 Alpineweiss / black E30 M3 -Project.
    Brilliantrot / black US SPEC 3/90 prod e34 M30b35 535i 5spd - Modded.
    98.5 Tiag Silber /black e36 m3 - Modded.
    99.5 Estoril Blau /dove e36 m3 - Modded.
    07 Crimsonrot /black E83 X3 6spd - Stock..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast