RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 320D no boost till 1800 rpm plus almost stalling idle

320D no boost till 1800 rpm plus almost stalling idle

Got myself a 320D tourer bus for the growing family, sadly I bought it off a wannabe boy racer with no clue.
    It was fitted with a jap can exhaust and cone filter just to give an idea of the previous owner, he also thought it would be a good idea to take a hacksaw to the air filter housing on the cam cover to make room for the new cone filter lol.
    Fast forward to now I have replaced the came cover, original air filter and hole intake filter assembly including new maf sensor, I also had to replace one of the injectors as the end ofvthe nozzle was burnt off.
    I have recorded all injectors reset maf adaptations using disv44.
    Car is a hell of a lot more better and has much more power but it still has 2 faults in not sure if they are linked or not.
    On idle after a few seconds the rpm will drop to 650 - 700 rpm and almost stall before ticking over again, I have noticed if I keep the clutch pedal down it runs smooth.
    My other issue is with the boost, most of the time it's not there but if I let the rpm build to around 1800 rpm the let my foot of the throttle then back on it boosts perfectly and will do thre all gears in till I go back to normal throttle acceleration.
    The electronic actuator moves far and freely on ignition on, anyone had these symptoms before?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    What year is this 320D? BMW made this car thru 3 different models, and the same amount of motors, so not sure which one you are talking about.

Next, what are the fault codes? I am not standing at the car looking a DIS with you, so please post them up.

Lastly, has the blow-off valve been messed with? You said "boy racer" so I am thinking he fiddled with it.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

Sorry it's a 05 e46 320d.
    There is no dump valve fitted thankfully
    The only fault code that keeps coming back is 4B10 smooth running controller.
    I took a couple of bits while running it on INPA does this tell us anything maybe another bad injector?
    https://youtu.be/nhWq2B3yLvs
    https://youtu.be/nhWq2B3yLvs

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I posted the same link twice
    https://youtu.be/9vqzZ8ajn5I

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Humm, on the first video, I don't see anything out of the ordinary as they are all in the green. On the second I see it spike as you rev it on the "Current Air Mass", it could point me in two directions: 1 Vacuum leak as the "Desired Air Mass" does not match; 2 There has to be a pop-off valve on all turbo's, otherwise you will be blowing the charge pipe off everytime you release the gas pedal.

Which brings me to something else, is the inter-cooler and piping correctly installed?

Does this car have a diesel particulate filter? Not knowing where you live, there is an extra MAP sensor in the intake that maybe causing problems if it is unhooked.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

The only MAP sensor I'm aware of is on the underside of the inlet manifold it's plugged in ok including the vacuum because I had to plug it back in after changing the cam cover etc.
    I did remove the swirl flap plates from the rods by grinding off the end of the screws and just leaving the motors in if that makes sense, whould this cause this?
    It may be worth mentioning that the turbo is pretty loud you can hear it in my videos I haven't had a chance to remove the big bore jap can exhaust I thought that's what would be causing the loud whistling.
    Is there any vacuum lines on the turbo actuator even thought it's electronic?

Bump