Thread: Need help: 318is vs 325i/is

My Cars
    E92 M3

Need help: 318is vs 325i/is

Hi everyone,

First post here. I've searched the internet far and wide regarding these two models, so hopefully this isn't your usual 318is vs 325i (or is) question.

Short story:

I feel like I honestly need to experience both cars to know at this point which one I want to search for and buy. Is there anyone within ~2 hours of Newport News, VA that owns either one of these cars that I could meet up with and see? I'd happily return the favor with gas/beer, and/or a ride in my E92 M3 if that's your thing.

Long story:

I really want an E30, I've narrowed it down to these two. I love the idea of high revving engines, but sometime living with them when not pushing the car can be frustrating. But I've heard the 318 is (91 model with the M42 engine) is a lot of fun even though it's not "fast" and you really have to get on it to get the most out of it.The M20 powered 325i (or is...not terribly worried which one because I'd do suspension work at some point) would be great because of the added torque, but I really want to keep weight down (that's one of the most frustrating things about the E92 M3) and even 200 lbs in an E30 seems like a lot. I do love the M20's sound too, though.

Speed and acceleration, while nice, are not the emphasis here. Hell, even perfect handling isn't the emphasis. The experience is. I'm just trying to figure out which I prefer before starting my search...I think my budget would be around 6k max.

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to being a part of the community here.

EDIT: I'm also not too worried about maintenance; I'm a DIY mechanic type and don't mind getting my hands dirty at all. It's all part of the fun, and it seems like both engines are very strong but need attention in differing ways. Not really a discriminator at this point.
    Last edited by Prefontaine; 08-18-2017 at 04:22 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    A 1989 - 1991 318is would be an ideal choice, you could do an S50/S52 swap later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320
    To drive the 318 you have to be willing to get it above 3500 rpm, just to wake it up. Below that it's not a lot of fun. There's lots of car to get into motion.

But I would vote for the 325. There is something about a BMW 6 that when you step into it just brings a smile, the sound it makes is another reward.

Full disclosure, I have both a '82 320 and a '87 325 with a non-vanos M50. Both is the answer.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Running fan, eh?

I've only briefly driven the 318iS, but I own a 325. I think the 318 would be more fun to tear around in, and the 325 would be a little easier to deal with on a daily-driver sort of duty. It's still no monster, but the M20 does have more low-down torque for normal road driving. I don't think either one handles badly, so it's not like you'll buy one and find it to be a pig. They both benefit hugely from suspension bushing refreshing and better-than-stock springs. The 318 will also get better mileage if that's your thing.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    E92 M3
    Gents, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I keep hearing people say the M42 loves to rev...is the M20 not willing? I don't mind a slightly lower redline if it means more usable torque, so long as I can take the engine to redline and hear it sing, time and time again. I have no interest in superchargers or turbochargers; NA is my thing. Definitely open to chips and other mods to uncork NA motors though.

Since I'm sure there are few out there who have extensive time in both, does anyone find the handling of the 325 lacking? Those with the M42 up front say their car is far more willing to turn in; I'm not sure how true that really is though.

I'm leaning towards the 325; this will be an around-town car first, autox and track second. I don't mind driving a slightly compromised car though if it's fun to do so, which makes the decision for the M20 a little less clear.

Ultimately it comes down to driving...is anyone around Virginia and willing to meet up who owns either a 318is, 325i, or 325is (E30)? Thanks again.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Best get the M20 then.. Two more cylinders never hurt
    About the redline. My last M20 E30 was my daily for over 7 years, and it never complained while taking it to the redline on a daily base. Awesome sound too.
    In the end, both the M42 and M20 powered E30s are E30s. If you simply love the car, you'll probably love either one.
    Last edited by 323i E30; 08-19-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    e30 e46
    I've owned all the e30's except an M10 car including an e30 M3. Sold them all but the 91 318iS. Don't ever see myself not having one.

Hard to explain without driving but you can feel the weight. The M42 cars are a little over 200 lbs lighter.

If you are a HP junkie, I don't think you will be happy with any stock e30. If you like the curves, driving feel and good throttle response, hard to beat an M42 car.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    I am a huge fan of the 318is. I currently have a 318i convertible and love it. In some ways, it is more fun than my E36 and E46 M3 since I can drive my 318i fast on the street. Compared to my other cars, you know when you hit 75-80 mph. My dad felt the same way about his 318is when he had one compared to his M cars. I forget the racer that said it but “I would rather drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow.”

I live in Charlottesville and if we could find a time to make it work you are welcome to drive my 318i. The only problem is my car is currently out of commission while I am getting my mass air flow meter rebuilt. It is also a convertible so it has extra weight and a 4.27 open diff compared to the 4.10 lsd in the 318is.

One thing I also like about the M42 is it has a timing chain compared to a belt. I know you mentioned you don’t care about doing work on the car but I personally enjoy not having to worry about changing a belt.

My Cars
    E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by E46M3Dakar View Post
    I am a huge fan of the 318is. I currently have a 318i convertible and love it. In some ways, it is more fun than my E36 and E46 M3 since I can drive my 318i fast on the street. Compared to my other cars, you know when you hit 75-80 mph. My dad felt the same way about his 318is when he had one compared to his M cars. I forget the racer that said it but “I would rather drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow.”

I live in Charlottesville and if we could find a time to make it work you are welcome to drive my 318i. The only problem is my car is currently out of commission while I am getting my mass air flow meter rebuilt. It is also a convertible so it has extra weight and a 4.27 open diff compared to the 4.10 lsd in the 318is.

One thing I also like about the M42 is it has a timing chain compared to a belt. I know you mentioned you don’t care about doing work on the car but I personally enjoy not having to worry about changing a belt.
    Thanks for all the info, those are my sentiments as well. I want to be able to drive hard on the street, but still be safe and not exceeding the speed limit just to have fun.

I'll PM you with some contact info, that would be awesome to meet up at some point.

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    I've got a 325i vert with stock M20 and find that when it starts getting into its power band around 4000 rpm there is a notable jump in acceleration. In my typical around-town driving, this is especially handy in 2nd gear.

I like the sound of the M20, and appreciate that when I'm on a downgrade or a level and not accelerating, I can run 2000-2600 rpm for a more laid-back sound.