Thread: Strut Bar, snake oil or no?

My Cars
    my car

Strut Bar, snake oil or no?

I recently purchased an 83 E21. PO swapped in a 5 speed but otherwise everything looks to be stock. The seller mentioned cracks in the B pillar and said a front strut bar may help limit cracking at this delicate junction. Now three weeks in of reading, watching videos and talking to my motor-head friends I can't decide; are hinged/fixed strut support bars worth the money? Some say the firewall is close enough to the strut towers on this model to render them all but useless, some say hinged strut bars do little as they still allow the frame to flex vertically.

Going to make popcorn now, please discuss amongst yourselves.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    I doubt any stress bars will help with B-pillar cracking..

Which gives me an idea...

Maybe someone should start selling B-pillar stress bars! Like adapted luggage racks

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    I doubt any stress bars will help with B-pillar cracking..

Which gives me an idea...

Maybe someone should start selling B-pillar stress bars! Like adapted luggage racks
    I'd bet a handy fabricator could whip up a reinforcing plate that required little to no interior mods. As for the strut bars, if I ever come across solid ones I'll make the purchase, I don't believe single bolt hinged bars to be effective. For our cars specifically the best way to tighten up the front is to make/buy an "Alpina" bar.

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    I felt the alpina bar the first time I closed the door and backed out of the driveway. It makes a big difference.

My Cars
    my car
    Most of the internet search results for "alpina bar" are for a bar, i like beer but it makes me sway. JC Whitney says they have "the best selection of Alpina Bars but they lie. Ebay may have one but it is blocked at work so I will try that one in 2 hours. Forum search of the E21 and E30 subs show no results, are you making this up? Is it like "headlight fluid" <jk> .

- - - Updated - - -

AHHA! http://www.angelfire.com/de3/bimmertoyz/alpina.html

My Cars
    my car
    Never mind; email to http://www.angelfire.com/de3/bimmertoyz/alpina.html bounced, i guess they got rich and retired.

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    "Alpina Bar" is colloquial. It's a bar that ties the ends of the front frame rails together.
    Supposedly this was an innovation to be found on Alpina's E21 conversions, hence the name.
    Those I've seen are much simpler than strut-top bars and are bolted on by simply getting longer bolts for the front sway bar mounts.

The cars are prone to flex as evidenced by the crack at the B-pillar.
    Most everyone whose installed either a front strut or "Alpina" bar claims to notice improvement, myself included.
    In my case I installed a strut-bar to address perceived weaknesses thanks to a front end collision before I bought it.
    Even in the process of getting the bar and mounts aligned during installation, I could see the distance between the pillars change in jacking the car.
    That was all the evidence I needed.
    HTH.
    Last edited by pommeree; 08-18-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: clarification, grammar
    Eric P.

My Cars
    my car
    Thanks for the clarification Pommeree and thank you all for your assistance. I think i found what I am looking for:

https://www.racetep.com/automaker/bm...brace-e21.html

Also, sorry for the crazy posts, first time posting on this forum and I am not really sure what i am doing.
    Last edited by MurgleBurgle; 08-18-2017 at 04:29 PM.

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by MurgleBurgle View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Pommeree and thank you all for your assistance. I think i found what I am looking for:

https://www.racetep.com/automaker/bm...brace-e21.html

Also, sorry for the crazy posts, first time posting on this forum and I am not really sure what i am doing.
    Ha! I didn't think anyone was actually making those commercially. Every one I'd seen were home-brew.
    Also - and this is strictly my opinion - I think the strut bar is going to give you more structural integrity for the buck.
    But get a second opinion on that.
    Eric P.

My Cars
    my car
    I actually just found it cheaper from the Mfg., Ireland Engineering. 76.00 is chump change compared to what i was about to shell out for the Strut Bar, i will give you an update after i get it installed.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E21-...n-steering/E21alpnabar.html <--no wonder! it is actually an "Alpnabar"

My Cars
    1977 320i
    I actually just found it cheaper from the Mfg., Ireland Engineering. 76.00 is chump change compared to what i was about to shell out for the Strut Bar, i will give you an update after i get it installed.

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E21-...n-steering/E21alpnabar.html <--no wonder! it is actually an "Alpnabar"
    Good luck, the install is very straight forward. After installing it I would spring for a good alignment and see how that feels.

My Cars
    M42 swap, turbo imminent
    My personal feeling is that strut tower braces and the "alpina bar" are both non-sense/placebo effect. However, I'd love to see some data. Shouldn't be that hard really; put a torsional load on the chassis (or whatever member you suspect to be flexing), then install whatever brace, and re-test. I've never seen any such data (I suspect because it would be inconclusive at best), but I would like to.

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    If you are building a house and want a wall to not rack you put on a diagonal brace. A brace placed horizontally across either the top or the bottom would do nothing to prevent racking under a torque or shear load. The best way to prevent torsion or shear racking would be opposing diagonal braces, or cross bracing in the shape of an "X."

Videos of the factory suspension testing, note the "Thumbs up!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcphWHWjSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_arRxPONBY

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E

You will not regret getting an alpina bar. It makes a big difference and you will feel its presence immediately.

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Reading the descriptions- Ireland Engineering bar is painted and TEP's bar is powdercoated. Maybe that's why it's more expensive.
    Do both come with the necessary hardware (longer bolts and lock nuts)?

Max
    Last edited by mxl556; 08-19-2017 at 12:53 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Strut bars, both front and back, and Alpina bars all produce a noticeable improvements in handling. I installed each sequentially...their effects are real, not placebo.

My Cars
    E21 320i, E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl556 View Post
    Reading the descriptions- Ireland Engineering bar is painted and TEP's bar is powdercoated. Maybe that's why it's more expensive.

Max
    I bought one from Ireland Engineering years ago and I'm 99% sure it came with the new hardware. I've also had good luck when I call IE or TEP so maybe give them a ring to double check.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    '81 E21 320i / '90 E30 325i / '̶9̶2̶ ̶E̶3̶4̶ ̶5̶2̶5̶i̶t (sold) / '15 Toyota XW30 / '̶̶8̶0̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶ ̶3̶2̶0̶i̶A̶ (sold)

My Cars
    82 E21
    I purchased my Alpina style bar from Ireland and can confirm that it is painted and comes with hardware. It is mounted to the forward most swaybar mounting bolt location and fits perfectly; the welds are clean and overall it is nice piece.

A few caveats to be noted: The paint on the bar was less than stellar with some very thin spots where the steel was showing. I purchased some Rustoleum Industrial spray paint in gloss black and re-painted with several coats. Should be perfectly fine for my weekend car but if corrosion is a concern you may want to strongly consider the powdercoat option.

The hardware also leaves a bit to be desired. The bolts are grade 12.9 M10x55 allen head cap screws in black oxide finish and come with two washers. Given the application I thought it more appropriate to use a regular grade 8.8 hex head bolt in zinc finish so I purchased a couple of 60mm long bolts from my local Ace Hardware and installed with new BMW locking nuts. I am glad I purchased slightly longer bolts because there are only a few threads showing below the nut.

I cannot comment on the TEP option. Their web page shows the same exact picture as Ireland and does say it is powdercoated so it might be worth the up-charge to get a better finish.

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by mxl556 View Post

Max

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

The Alpina bar from what I have read about was made famous by the Alpina Race Teams that were very successful, like was said it helps stop nose twist in changing lanes and helps keep the front end flat going into too turns--improves handling --strut bars assist in same way otherwise the towers will be uneven in turns and so forth,,common sense. I have a Alpina bar installed and yes I like it and handling is improved over stock--none there.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 08-20-2017 at 11:55 AM.

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by HipMF View Post
    My personal feeling is that strut tower braces and the "alpina bar" are both non-sense/placebo effect. However, I'd love to see some data. Shouldn't be that hard really; put a torsional load on the chassis (or whatever member you suspect to be flexing), then install whatever brace, and re-test. I've never seen any such data (I suspect because it would be inconclusive at best), but I would like to.

Granted. My car has sustained some front end damage, but I could measure the deflection between strut tops by at least 5mm when fitting up my strut bar and wasn't even max deflection.

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL!!
    Last edited by pommeree; 08-20-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Eric P.