Thread: Its official.....

My Cars
    00 E38 750IL 92 E31 850

Its official.....

I'm keeping my 00 750.....was thinking of getting rid of it since I picked up my 04 S55 AMG some time ago......the S55 is brutal with 493 Hp but honestly after a year or so of ownership AND being maintained to the max its gotta go.....Every week something else breaks. $126k brand new and its a temperamental bitch. Luckily I have the STAR diagnostic computer and do all my own work but its become too much. Its left me stuck 3 times and my 750 has never missed a beat as backup or left me stuck. Upon reflection the only thing (my 02) that the S55 has over my E38 is the Hp....the 750 moves ok in sport mode, gets better gas mileage, is a LOT quieter inside, handles the same and is cheaper (not simpler) to fix and it looks just as good......rant off...
    Last edited by Mayorchuck; 08-17-2017 at 08:09 PM.
    92 Dinan Stage III 850 Twin Turbo (1 of 4)
    625 Hp on 93 pump gas @ 14 psi 660 ft lbs torque

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    This is why I have to think hard and research even harder, and that stopped me getting into a cl600 bi-turbo CL600 atleast for now. The 55AMG even v12 biturbo is the biggest bang for the buck, but I dont feel like sleeping under the car, during the day.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I also tried a Mercedes, a 2003 S500. It was dead reliable but for me the difference came down to the performance and handling. The S500 was comfortable and nice but it wasn't sporty by any means. Throwing it into a corner was vague and scary. I remember going to LA in it and going up Mulholland Drive, every turn was terrifying. The E38 feels a lot smaller around you (in a good way), and I feel a lot more confident behind the wheel of one. I ended up selling the Mercedes after a few months, and went right back to BMWs, starting with an M5 that I bought literally the day after I sold the Mercedes, now that was a good kick in the pants to remind me of what I had been missing.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    00 E38 750IL 92 E31 850
    Danny...the S55 AMG supercharged is a totally different animal than the S500 N/A V8.......it IS one of the best bang for the buck out there today but if you dont wrench on your own stuff stay away....far away...I actually LIKE wrenching and take on some major jobs AND I was warned about the Mercedes but I did research all the common issues (she has had them all and a few more) and am VERY preventative maintenance oriented so I figured I could handle it....the upkeep cost wasnt an issue to be honest. But nope, it looks like she has whipped me.....I want to enjoy my cars and not be fixing all the time not to mention the no trust on a long trip factor. I would trust my E38 on a coast to coast anytime.....but I digress. The SC AMG has brutal acceleration for a big car and handles on a dime, it grips VERY well and with the ABC Hydraulic suspension outperforms cars half its size....ABC is a great system (when it works). This car will still stomp on some of todays "performance" cars......I have debadged it and they get quite a shock when the big Merc pulls away with ease.....I have went thru EVERY system in the car and renewed items that did not have issues and have maintained it at no expense but little things keep popping up......Ill stick to the E38 V12 and use the Dinan TT for jollies....S55 AMG.jpg
    Last edited by pumpedTSI; 08-17-2017 at 08:52 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    What exactly went wrong on your s55? Have been looking at these lately myself.
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    00 E38 750IL 92 E31 850
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
    Jeez......pretty much everything.......list below

Items that have been done in the last 6k miles are as follows......New tires (3k miles ago) Yokahama A/S 275/35/19 and 245/40/19. New plugs, wires, coils, crank sensor, pulleys and tensioners (all upgraded to metal no plastic), belts, SC bearing, crank pulley (stock), front main seal, ABC filter with inline magnetic filter, cabin filters, air filters, new Bosch 010 intercooler pump, new brakes (pads), new intake tubes, PS filter, throttle bodies replaced (upper and lower), trunk and hood struts, IAT and MAP sensors,valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, new oil level sender,fuel pump and filter, intake manifold gaskets, fuel injector orings and filters,ABC valve block rebuild, ABC system flush, PS system flush, surge tank gaskets, SC oil change with Jet oil, coolant flush and switchout to Evans coolant, new accelerator pedal and brake pedal switch, Tranny fluid and filter change with conductor plate update, jack pads, ABC level sensor (1), upgraded driver seatback blower fans, clean all 4 ABS sensors, new rubber floor mats with stock AMG logo mats in trunk (great condition), HVAC blower fan replace, transmission mount and probably a few other things I cant remember. The interior is perfect with no leather damage, stains or carpet wear. The car is a non smoker car and comes with all AMG options.
    Most of the items were done by me not by necessity but rather as preventative maintenance other than the throttle body.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpedTSI View Post

Items that have been done in the last 6k miles are as follows......New tires (3k miles ago) Yokahama A/S 275/35/19 and 245/40/19. New plugs, wires, coils, crank sensor, pulleys and tensioners (all upgraded to metal no plastic), belts, SC bearing, crank pulley (stock), front main seal, ABC filter with inline magnetic filter, cabin filters, air filters, new Bosch 010 intercooler pump, new brakes (pads), new intake tubes, PS filter, throttle bodies replaced (upper and lower), trunk and hood struts, IAT and MAP sensors,valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, new oil level sender,fuel pump and filter, intake manifold gaskets, fuel injector orings and filters,ABC valve block rebuild, ABC system flush, PS system flush, surge tank gaskets, SC oil change with Jet oil, coolant flush and switchout to Evans coolant, new accelerator pedal and brake pedal switch, Tranny fluid and filter change with conductor plate update, jack pads, ABC level sensor (1), upgraded driver seatback blower fans, clean all 4 ABS sensors, new rubber floor mats with stock AMG logo mats in trunk (great condition), HVAC blower fan replace, transmission mount and probably a few other things I cant remember. The interior is perfect with no leather damage, stains or carpet wear. The car is a non smoker car and comes with all AMG options.
    Most of the items were done by me not by necessity but rather as preventative maintenance other than the throttle body.
    Damn bro, that's crazy...
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe

Hmmm... if you take away the ABC and SC related stuff, the list looks very similar to sorting out e38...
    Current: 2007 Z4 M Coupe (blue/black)
    Previous: 2001 740iL Sport (black/black), 2000 528i Sport (black/tan), 1995 318is (black/black), 1991 318is (white/black)

My Cars
    00 E38 750IL 92 E31 850
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Damn bro, that's crazy...
    Tell me about it......I wanted a RELIABLE 500HP big sedan so I went over everything maintenance wise so I wouldnt be caught by surprise and it fits the bill when it runs.....kinda like golf.....play like crap all day but then on the last hole you have a couple of great shots and thats what brings you back......like when you kick that AMG in the nuts and that SC 500Hp kicks in......heaven....then next day she takes a crap......

EASILY takes the title of most unreliable car Ive ever owned.....

My Cars
    2006 750Li, 2005 V70R
    Somewhat comforting to hear. There was an 05 with 79k in VA for sale with tranny issues for $8k, looks otherwise clean. Seems like a deal even if the trans needs a full rebuild. Been hunting for a 750iL for a bit when I ran across it, but wifey poopooed it, does not like the car, nor the colors.

May be better this way, except I cant seem to find a 750 that isnt trash, particularly the interior.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I wonder if you could supercharge a 750il, that would give it the extra bit of power that I feel it needs.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
    +1 a while back, but not so much now.. just more curious than anything..

then reading this... bummer dude. how many miles did it have on it when you purchased? & how many now?
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    I work on a lot of 220's they are really nice riding cars but other than that they don't do anything for me. In the NE area they have extremely bad rust issues. Built proof motor and trans though
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    00 E38 750IL 92 E31 850
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    +1 a while back, but not so much now.. just more curious than anything..

then reading this... bummer dude. how many miles did it have on it when you purchased? & how many now?
    132K when purchased.....just turned over 140k..... and yes, bulletproof motor and tranny...

My Cars
    01 740iL & 92 GTI

Jesus christ! I know the next owner will thank you for sure. Welcome back to the e38 still damn sexy in 2017 still.

No BITCHASSEDNESS!!

My Cars
    Huracan, 68 Charger, LC
    I'm keeping my 00 750.....was thinking of getting rid of it since I picked up my 04 S55 AMG some time ago......the S55 is brutal with 493 Hp but honestly after a year or so of ownership AND being maintained to the max its gotta go.....Every week something else breaks. $126k brand new and its a temperamental bitch. Luckily I have the STAR diagnostic computer and do all my own work but its become too much. Its left me stuck 3 times and my 750 has never missed a beat as backup or left me stuck. Upon reflection the only thing (my 02) that the S55 has over my E38 is the Hp....the 750 moves ok in sport mode, gets better gas mileage, is a LOT quieter inside, handles the same and is cheaper (not simpler) to fix and it looks just as good......rant off...
    Interesting thread. I am shopping a nostalgic daily euro captain's beast. Was looking at 560 SEC since I've never had a classic MB (not counting 94 SL500 and W140 99 S600). I like the way they seem more flat and lean compared to W140 and how they soak up the road. The idea is a daily car that I can feel passionate about and keep me interested. It would flank the Huracan and 68 Charger. I just drove an 01 750iL. I feels decidedly different than the 99 740il I had about 10 years ago. That car felt light on its feet and dare I say - quick. The 750 felt like a heavy tank - doors felt much heavier (has to be more than just the extra window pane?) and it accelerated from a stop slower. Of course I'm going 10 year old memories.

Anyhow, the 750 is the more aggressive looking car in terms of stock chiseled lines. They both seem to NOT want to be thrown around - which is ok. I was thinking the 750 would be more costly to run. I suspect this is the case compared to V8 W126. After all this was back when they really built cars! Both are great used bargains if you get one well cared for. Can you give some perspective on 750 nuances and why you love it?
    Current:
    15' Huracan
    17' Land Cruiser
    68' Charger
    Shopping for daily...

Past:
    11' Jag XKR
    97 E36 M3/4
    07' Z4M Coupe
    06' Lotus Elise
    00' Z3M Coupe
    00' Z3M Roadster