Thread: USB/AUX Advice

My Cars
    BMW 320D M Sport 2010

USB/AUX Advice

Hi All

Picked up my first BMW M Sport 2010 last week and very pleased with it, finally now finding my way around the car and noticed there is no USB socket in the glove box or console apart from a single AUX socket, a cigarette lighter socket and another connector which looks like a phone or something plugs into.

Missing my own music now! is there any retro fits or mods I can do to the car to get a USB fitted?

There is a empty space/Hole for a USB in Glove Box, not sure if a cable is behind it as standard or if I need to get one and the socket?

cheers Tony

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I bought something like this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-USB...wAAOSwdGFYp9e1

I also bought a low profile phone charger with usb port on it. Charger in power port, above dongle in charger and plug into the jack in the console. Been using it since march and no problems yet. It connects automatically and sounds fine. Just make sure that you have to volume on the phone turned all the way up for best music quality. Well, it does on mine.

My Cars
    BMW 320D M Sport 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    I bought something like this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-USB...wAAOSwdGFYp9e1

I also bought a low profile phone charger with usb port on it. Charger in power port, above dongle in charger and plug into the jack in the console. Been using it since march and no problems yet. It connects automatically and sounds fine. Just make sure that you have to volume on the phone turned all the way up for best music quality. Well, it does on mine.
    Cheers for the info Tony! will look into it, bit shocked there was no USB what so ever in this year and model, now looking at fitting some USB's which will come in handy in the future, seen these on Ebay which look like the thing I need, also a single USB Socket to go in the Glove Box..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-USB-In...19.m1438.l2649

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    There is a USB option but it only works with idrive. There are some BMW iPod adapters that are available. But for me the aux in works just fine.

My Cars
    BMW 320D M Sport 2010
    The car is only fitted with an Aux plug below the arm rest, I'm hoping to replace this with a USB/AUX socket like the one in the picture, problem is the cable seems pretty short to reach from the arm rest to the back on the sound system, someone mentioned to me it doesn't go all the way to the back of the radio but plugs into another cable roughly where the gear lever is situated, any help on this would be much appreciated! really don't want to buy the kit and it's too short....BMW USB PORT.jpg

My Cars
    90 535i 08 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony65 View Post
    The car is only fitted with an Aux plug below the arm rest, I'm hoping to replace this with a USB/AUX socket like the one in the picture, problem is the cable seems pretty short to reach from the arm rest to the back on the sound system, someone mentioned to me it doesn't go all the way to the back of the radio but plugs into another cable roughly where the gear lever is situated, any help on this would be much appreciated! really don't want to buy the kit and it's too short....BMW USB PORT.jpg

This appears to be the OEM part that cars with the 6FL (USB/AUX) option came with. I have one in my car. I would assume that they wire all cars with the proper connectors, but I think you have to have you car coded when you introduce new items like this. Google the retrofit for 6FL Usb-/audio Interface and that should give you the step by step on installing it. I believe that BMW published a retrofit for it.

My Cars
    BMW 320D M Sport 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyJxxx View Post
    This appears to be the OEM part that cars with the 6FL (USB/AUX) option came with. I have one in my car. I would assume that they wire all cars with the proper connectors, but I think you have to have you car coded when you introduce new items like this. Google the retrofit for 6FL Usb-/audio Interface and that should give you the step by step on installing it. I believe that BMW published a retrofit for it.
    Many thanks Ricky much appreciated, At first I thought the cables would need to be plugged into the back of the sound system, this would make them too short! I'm now thinking there must be connectors somewhere under the console to plug into, Probably need to pop the console off and take a look before going any further.

Here's a picture of the AUX socket I want to replace, there is also a lighter socket but another connector above this, I'm not sure what this is either, is this an Ipod connector or for a different phone perhaps?

console.JPG
    Last edited by Tony65; 09-03-2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: add further content

My Cars
    2009 328i x-drive Coupe
    Not sure what kind of plug that is above your cigarette lighter plug.
    I'm going through the same thing. I found a USB plug in my glove box, and attempted to download some music by putting a thumb drive in the port, but it's not recognizing the thumb drive. Keeps saying I need to insert a USB device to continue, even though I've already inserted a device.

My Cars
    BMW 320D M Sport 2010
    Cheers for the reply Sandog.

I have no USB in the glove box of this car sadly, My old car an Audi TT had one and it was much the same as yours! If I plugged my phone or ipod in it would just charge them and not play any of the files, when I plugged a flash drive into the port loaded with music it worked perfectly.

My Cars
    2009 328i x-drive Coupe
    Someone told me that the newer "blue" memory sticks can't be recognized, that I have to use an"old school" memory stick for the files to be recognized by idrive. Now I just need to find out what constitutes an "old school" memory stick.
    Good luck in your quest, Tony.

My Cars
    BMW 320D M Sport 2010
    More help please guys! Fitted the Aux/USB socket in the armrest, also cable routed through the console and fitted into back of head unit, problem is USB still doesn't work or show up in menu of Head unit? checked the USB with 12v tester and all shows up there's power to it but nothing happening when plugging Ipod into it or phone. even tried a Flash drive plugged in but no joy....

My Cars
    BMW 320D M Sport 2010
    Just tried it again and noticed the USB lead running back to my Iphone is heating up, not sure whats going on or if there's a short somewhere?
    Last edited by Tony65; 09-17-2017 at 07:06 AM.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    There is a USB option but it only works with idrive. There are some BMW iPod adapters that are available. But for me the aux in works just fine.
    Do you have the ipod adapter module installed in the car? if not it will not work with an iphone. You need more than a USB slot to make it work.

My Cars
    E91, E39, 997 911
    2007 Carerra S
    2009 E91
    1990 Toyo PU - POS
    2000 E39/5
    1976 911

My Cars
    BMW 320D M Sport 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
    Cheers for the info BalimoreBimmer! spent the last few days trying to find the TCU or Combox, Nothing under the carpet of the boot or on the inside panels of the boot, removed the rear seats and the lining of the boot but nothing, also looked below the steering wheel in the panel above the pedals and still no joy, not sure where else to look?

My Cars
    E91, E39, 997 911
    Ive used Grom in several other cars and they are great products.
    2007 Carerra S
    2009 E91
    1990 Toyo PU - POS
    2000 E39/5
    1976 911