Thread: Spoiled Spoiler

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i

Spoiled Spoiler

I finally got around to cleaning and prepping my original pre-facelift Alpina front air dam.

I made several attempts at Plastidipping it, but didn't like the effect, so took it to a highly recommended local paint & body shop.

I made it very very clear that they were not to paint the bottom, because original Alpina spoilers with intact ID stickers are rare has hen's teeth.

The manager assured me they would tape it over.

When I went to pick it up this morning, it turned out they forget to relay that information to the guys who actually do the work.

Would anybody care to put a dollar value on the decline in value? It has some dings and scratches, along with a very small crack at the front, but as y'all know, these early valences are pretty much impossible to find.

On the upside, now that its collector value is shot, I guess I won't feel so bad about driving it on the street.

A mounting question: the pre-drilled holes don't line up with the sheet metal screws holding the valance to the body.

Should I drill new holes in the spoiler and use those screws to hold everything together, or should I mount it over them, drilling holes in the valance to line up with those on the air dam? (which could cause problems in that the heads stick out and could cause the fiberglass to crack when I tighten it down )
    Attached Images Attached Images