Thread: original equipment - NOT OEM

My Cars
    E71 X6 4.4L "BatMobile"

original equipment - NOT OEM

i have search the forums and google, there isnt much info so i thought i would throw this topic out there.
    its time for new brake pads and rotors, given you cant own a bmw and not experience the shake from a warped rotor (and yes i did try to "bead" them in).

so in calling my indy mechanic who only uses original equipment (BMW logo) the price is outrageous compared to OEM / after market parts. he says when it comes to brakes and these new cars he doesnt want to mess with safety or ever get sued, so he buys OE parts, and will only install OEM if customer signs a waiver saying they brought their own parts and he is not liable.

curious since the OEM sites have u believe that the OEM part is the same exact part just doesnt have the BMW logo. i was dubious that the premium was purely for the BMW logo so i decided to do some digging.

i was able to speak "off the record" with a parts rep that told me that BMW basically has first pick during manufacturing and tests their parts and has a higher standard than the OEM, while it may still come from the same plant / part supplier it may not be up to the same standards.

the price is almost 100% more for original BMW pads and rotors, vs a high quality OEM replacement set.

curious what you guys think / experiences

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I think it really has to do with the manufacturer; there are of course OE parts that really do lack the quality of genuine parts; but for the most part I haven't run into any issues. It kind of sounds like the mechanic does this to make some extra $$ off the parts he orders. When it comes to brake pads and rotors, Genuine parts are not a must IMO.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    I think it really has to do with the manufacturer; there are of course OE parts that really do lack the quality of genuine parts; but for the most part I haven't run into any issues. It kind of sounds like the mechanic does this to make some extra $$ off the parts he orders. When it comes to brake pads and rotors, Genuine parts are not a must IMO.
    I will politely disagree. I have tried all kinds of off brand brakes on BMWs over the years and when it comes to the pads, nothing stops like the ones with the BMW logo. The OES come close but they just never feel exactly the same. When it comes to rotors, buy something quality and you should be fine. I am running Brembo rotors and OEM BMW pads on my E39. They give off plenty of dust but the car still stops on a dime.
    Wade

My Cars
    2002 330i, 2000 528iT
    https://youtu.be/oxhGoeOQNZw

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    | 2002 330i 5-SPD - 101k | 2000 528iT - 146k |
    My E46 Maintenance Thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1124584

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    In my opinion-based on my own experiences, among others encountered on this forum, Genuine BMW OE and OEM are required for BMW electronics,including all sensors.Also applies to some critical fit mechanical parts,otherwise quality aftermarket replacement is acceptable.
    Brakes are a judgment call, based on specific braking preferences-bite,dust,noise,etc...

My Cars
    E71 X6 4.4L "BatMobile"

thx for the video

Quote Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post

that is crazy to see they are the exact same. i think brakes and rotors perhaps maybe a bit different.

looks like i can get a set of after market brakes and rotors for my x6, for ~$600

i found a guy on CL that bought a set of OE from the dealer for $1400, then ended up trading in his car and is now willing to part with them for $750. so id be paying an extra $150 for the logo which does bother me a bit, but i have had some knowledgeable people say there is a slight difference, so im torn

My Cars
    2001 525it
    For brakes use factory BMW, the best pedal feel, the best response no mater what the temp outside, no warping or squealing, expensive and dusty

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post

Seems a little misleading. Genuine and OE (Original Euipment) are the same thing

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer - made by the same people who made the Original Equipment, but the part in question is not Original Equipment, merely made by the same manufacturer

I don't think the argument is usually Genuine against OE. its Genuine/OE compared to OEM and there CAN be a huge difference...

Like MIKY, I go OE for electrics, OEM for most mechanicals

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    I've never had a problem with an OEM part, and I've bought a lot of them. I just can't believe that the major OEM's would risk their own reputations by making a substandard version of the branded part they supplied to the factory, especially since reducing the quality would also increase their costs, at least initially, because it would require changing the manufacturing process that they already built.

I even bought the Siemens MAF because it was so much cheaper, even though I also tend to buy BMW electrical parts. Car has run perfectly for 30k on that MAF.

The OP's indy is entitled to set the terms of his business, and I understand not wanting to take risks with non BMW parts. If he's good, buy OEM parts from reliable sources and just sign the waiver.