Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New BMW Z4 Concept Unveiled

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
    I believe:
    The guy introducing it and discussing the design is Adrian van Hooydonk.

He was Bangle's #1 designer and who designed the original Z4.

Our Z3s were designed by Joji Nagashima,

I wish he designed it, I like his work.

I also can't stand the design talk, It brings back memories of Bangle flame design philosophy. That old BS about marketing to a 'creative class', it feels like 2003 Z4 part 2.

I predict this thing is going to be pricey too - probably a little less than the current Z4, but still in the high 40's to low 60's, and at that price will not sell well.

Not very appealing at all, here is to hoping for the Next generation Z that finally goes back to the Z3 roots of simplicity, affordability. Joji! Joji!
    I have to agree... but my guess is, as a corporation, bimmer has decided to abandon what was the 2002 and 320i (early 80's version), and go after the high markup, high margin markets... leaving the $250 profit per vehicle to Toyota, Kia etc... price wise, if it weren't for the silliness of even/odd number determining the number of doors, when the joint venture btwn Toyota and bimmer first appeared in the rumor rags, this was going to be called the Z5 or Z6, given the intended price point... then the Z6 disappeared, supposedly saved for an even higher end Z, leaving the Z5 name - justified by the pricepoint again... but with seemingly Z6 reserved for a future car, and not being a four door roadster, hence we get Z4... but pricewise, the intent was to move very much up market: the middle/upper end of the old Z4 market and upward. Hence my price comments from above... but again, I was just quoting the rumor mags: maybe they knew something, maybe they were blowing smoke.. ??

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmech767 View Post
    What I love about the z3 is the low belt line from this pic that is my only complaint
    A low belt line like the z3 is no longer possible due to side impact regulations. It's one of the reasons that the Z3 is a "last of it's kind" unique car.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    A low belt line like the z3 is no longer possible due to side impact regulations. It's one of the reasons that the Z3 is a "last of it's kind" unique car.
    Care to explain?... is this tied to my complaint of having such high sides, that it really ceases to be a roadster?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    Care to explain?... is this tied to my complaint of having such high sides, that it really ceases to be a roadster?
    I guess it is actually pedestrian protection regs, but yes this is why modern cars have high sides and noses. I think the new Z4 looks good in comparison to other modern cars, but from the side it is essentially a rectangle with details that attempt to give the illusion of curves.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...fatter-feature

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I believe us hard core Z3 lovers are a bit prejudice. I don't like all the sharp lines and the high belt line. The Z3 has great lines, but the current styling trend is away from great curves toward sharp angles and large open intakes in the front. Toyota seems to really be going overboard with the large ugly mouths in the front of their cars. I have no plans to get rid of my M Roadster, so I don't guess the design powers care what I think.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    I guess it is actually pedestrian protection regs, but yes this is why modern cars have high sides and noses. I think the new Z4 looks good in comparison to other modern cars, but from the side it is essentially a rectangle with details that attempt to give the illusion of curves.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...fatter-feature
    Thanks for the link - didn't realize this... though it does sound like they could have kept a lower "belt line" - that wasn't dictated by the regs... or maybe I'm misunderstanding those ??

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGator View Post
    ...Our Z3s were designed by Joji Nagashima,

I wish he designed it, I like his work....
    I couldn't agree more. That era when Mr. Nagashima designed bmw e39 and z3 ,to me at the least felt like, was the peak of ultimate drivig machine renaissance.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    Thanks for the link - didn't realize this... though it does sound like they could have kept a lower "belt line" - that wasn't dictated by the regs... or maybe I'm misunderstanding those ??
    I guess it's a symmetry thing. The higher front end forces a lot of other changes to make the design look balanced. I could swear there are other regs that for side impact that also affect window height since the z3 was made, but I can't easily find any articles about that.

"With the rear edge of the hood elevated, the entire cowl must be raised a like amount—or a bit more if the designers want a wedge-shaped profile. This moves the windshield base and the dash higher as well.A taller cowl and dash force the front seats to be raised for visibility.
    With people sitting higher in the car, the roof goes up to maintain headroom.
    Now that the roof is higher, the beltline (the base of the side windows) has to be lifted to keep the car from looking bubbleheaded."

My Cars
    z3
    Safety standards will mean we never have a car like the Z3 again. There must be a minimum distance between hood and the engine in the engine bay for pedestrian safety standards. This dictates the height of the hood, which in turn largely dictates the beltline for the vehicle. There are no exceptions and no loopholes, a car like the Z3 simply can not exist again.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    I couldn't agree more. That era when Mr. Nagashima designed bmw e39 and z3 ,to me at the least felt like, was the peak of ultimate drivig machine renaissance.
    When I first saw the Z3, my immediate thought was the 246gts that I'd had 40 years before - reminded me of that Pininfarina form/flow/shape :-) .... the new ones seem to lack that organic feel :-(

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Safety standards will mean we never have a car like the Z3 again. There must be a minimum distance between hood and the engine in the engine bay for pedestrian safety standards. This dictates the height of the hood, which in turn largely dictates the beltline for the vehicle. There are no exceptions and no loopholes, a car like the Z3 simply can not exist again.
    Wonder if this is part of why Z3 prices in the used market are now not that different from Z4 prices?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123