Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New BMW Z4 Concept Unveiled

My Cars
    z3

New BMW Z4 Concept Unveiled

edit: More betterer pictures (Looks even better here!)

BMW released this new photo of their new Z4 roadster...

Looks like... a BMW mixed with a Supra to me I was hoping for more

Thoughts?

edit: More pictures courtesy of https://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/gelek...oadster-101350

Wonder how much this thing is going to cost. It's a little funky, but I like it - I don't like it for any of the same reasons I like Z3's, or even E86 Z4's for that matter - but it looks interesting and new whereas the E89 I felt was just the final evolution of the Z3 design.
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 08-18-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    When they are off warranty and in my shop, I'll worry about it. Pissing and moaning about what is/isn't perceived as being/not being BMW or sportscar or color choice or some other gripe I leave for the facebook crowd.
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 08-16-2017 at 11:33 AM.

/.randy

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    It definitely has a little JDM to it, I can see the Supra. Maybe too much Supra. Front end is almost too aggressive? Can't tell if they got rid of the ducktail in the back. Hopefully. Makes me appreciate our Z3 curves more and more. Lacks initial charm to me. I was really hoping for more too...... (No roll bars?)

My Cars
    '10 GTI / '98 Roadster

My Cars
    1996 z3
    What I love about the z3 is the low belt line from this pic that is my only complaint

My Cars
    M Coupe, A4 Avant , MGB
    Ill wait till tomorrow at PB....

But from what I'm seeing its far better than the current z4, which I really don't care for at all... Interesting they departed from the iconic BMW headlight graphic to a stacked configuration.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    BMW released this new photo of their new Z4 roadster...

Looks like... a BMW mixed with a Supra to me I was hoping for more

Thoughts?
    Z4 or Z5 - previously given the price point (somewhere btwn Z4 and Z8) they were calling it the Z5, or at least the press was? ... and I assume this is the bimmer half of the new Supra? ie, if you want a roadster, you buy the bimmer; if you want a coupe you buy Toyota? Equally, where the drivetrains of the two are entirely different...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ring Rat View Post
    Ill wait till tomorrow at PB....

But from what I'm seeing its far better than the current z4, which I really don't care for at all... Interesting they departed from the iconic BMW headlight graphic to a stacked configuration.
    I think that side-by-side was dictated by the size of the light assemblies (and the low hood-line)... but with LEDs they are so much smaller so one has more options.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ79 View Post
    I was really hoping for more too...... (No roll bars?)
    Could it be that those are humps behind the seats?

bmw_z4.jpg

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by gmushial View Post
    Z4 or Z5 - previously given the price point (somewhere btwn Z4 and Z8) they were calling it the Z5, or at least the press was? ... and I assume this is the bimmer half of the new Supra? ie, if you want a roadster, you buy the bimmer; if you want a coupe you buy Toyota? Equally, where the drivetrains of the two are entirely different...
    BMW has already said it will not be called the Z5, so Z4 seems most likely. This is the BMW badged roadster variant of the Toyota joint project. The Toyota will supposedly only have an automatic, BMW will have a three pedal option. Was under the impressions that engines would be shared between the two

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    Based on that picture.... I will be keeping my 01 Z3.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello
    '01 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0 manual 5sp
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Could it be that those are humps behind the seats?

bmw_z4.jpg
    Oh for sure after seeing that side angle.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    On positive note, they brought the softtop back. But we all knew about that already, sigh.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    BMW has already said it will not be called the Z5, so Z4 seems most likely. This is the BMW badged roadster variant of the Toyota joint project. The Toyota will supposedly only have an automatic, BMW will have a three pedal option. Was under the impressions that engines would be shared between the two
    Again, everything up until tomorrow will be conjecture... but all the talk about the joint project has been: bimmer gets the roadster, Toyota get the coupe; and since Toyota has no use for a bimmer motor [they already have better], and bimmer has bought some engine technology from Toyota, they no longer have a need for such... or that's been all the rumor material for the last 2 yrs. W/re trans: the rumors up until now are that both will have both: auto and manual... but tomorrow we should know one way or the other.

My Cars
    M Coupe, A4 Avant , MGB

My Cars
    z3
    More pictures including some of the funky "two tone" interior!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Looks like another of the "safe" cars where the door is about at ear level. Apparently it isn't safe to have your arm on the door with your elbow out anymore.

Marty

My Cars
    z3
    Looking at the pictures again one thing that strikes me is how thin the windshield cowl is. It looks like metal too from the back side. Perhaps an exposed structural element?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    I think its looks fine. It needs to be more Z3 than the last Z4. That means cloth top, three pedals, about 3000lbs, and have the base 4 cylinder start in the low $30's. Offer a coupe and a real M variant. Otherwise I care nothing about it.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
    I think its looks fine. It needs to be more Z3 than the last Z4. That means cloth top, three pedals, about 3000lbs, and have the base 4 cylinder start in the low $30's. Offer a coupe and a real M variant. Otherwise I care nothing about it.
    This is why I had asked Breaker about Z5 vs Z4, in that the Supra is expected to be in the $60-80k range; and the talk previously on this was likewise... $30k would be nice: but wonder about the reality.. though I guess the event is this afternoon - so me might know more details by this evening.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    This is why I had asked Breaker about Z5 vs Z4, in that the Supra is expected to be in the $60-80k range; and the talk previously on this was likewise... $30k would be nice: but wonder about the reality.. though I guess the event is this afternoon - so me might know more details by this evening.

I would be shocked if the Supra was going to be that expensive. The Supra died off in '98 largely because nearly $50k was a lot of money for a Toyota in a market that shrank. That market today would not support a $60-80k Supra. It's going to start above the BRS/FRS for sure, maybe a bit more than the 370Z.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
    I would be shocked if the Supra was going to be that expensive. The Supra died off in '98 largely because nearly $50k was a lot of money for a Toyota in a market that shrank. That market today would not support a $60-80k Supra. It's going to start above the BRS/FRS for sure, maybe a bit more than the 370Z.
    What you're saying is also what I thought should be the reality... but at least from the rumormill/rags, it seems that this was going to be brand T's flagship/showpiece, going after the top end of the 'vette market - basically a do it right, cost be damned car.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    What you're saying is also what I thought should be the reality... but at least from the rumormill/rags, it seems that this was going to be brand T's flagship/showpiece, going after the top end of the 'vette market - basically a do it right, cost be damned car.

That's already being done with the Lexus LC500. It's silly if Toyota is going for the same idea(you know selling very few cars) with the Supra.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    My impression is that the LC is to go more after the Euro (bottom end) supercar market - Evora 400 and up; where the Supra goes after the American high end muscle, or Cayman ilk... but again, I'm sure brand T will tell us shortly.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    My impression is that the LC is to go more after the Euro (bottom end) supercar market - Evora 400 and up; where the Supra goes after the American high end muscle, or Cayman ilk... but again, I'm sure brand T will tell us shortly.

The LC is a grand tourer, it has nothing in common with any super car. It's aligning with the Benz S-class Coupe and the BMW 6/8 series. You can get into the base Cayman for about $60k. Even if the Supra had the Cayman as a target, it knows it won't sell against it at the same price. Until Toyota makes an announcement, I again doubt the pricing structure of $60-80k. $40-50k maybe. Again, the Mustang supports the base EB for about $26k all the way to low $60's for a GT350R. The Supra would be silly if it starts ABOVE that car(same with Camaro 2.0T-ZL1) while offering less performance. The Supra was a Z car competitor in each of its generations, the 370Z starts at $30k and goes to the mid 40's. I see no reason for Toyota to abandon that when so few people buy anything that isn't an SUV lately.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast