Thread: How Do I: Remove Front Passenger Seat if it Won't Slide Forward

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328ic

Question How Do I: Remove Front Passenger Seat if it Won't Slide Forward

I want to permanently remove the front passenger seat from my 1997 328i Convertible. I've looked at the DIY instructions here on this forum, but my problem is that my seat will not slide forward enough to expose the rear bolts.

I have tried to slide the seat both with it in the fully upright and fully reclined positions. In both cases, the seat stops at the same point, with the rear bolt hidden by approximately 1.5 inches of the top slide rail. I have shined a light into the track, and there do not appear to be any obstructions. There were two little metal clips, which I removed. Those were actually so far forward that they were not causing interference, but I removed them anyway for good measure.

The car is in poor condition overall and will not likely have another owner beyond myself. I will never want or need to install another passenger seat in the car, and I do not care if either the seat or the mounts are damaged beyond repair in the process of removal. All that matters to me is that the seat comes out, promptly and without substantial expense.

The two front nuts can be removed with a socket. The rear nut closest to the passenger door can be drilled out. How can I remove the rear nut closest to the center of the vehicle? There is inadequate clearance above for it to be drilled out, and I have never seen a wrench that can fit into such a tight space and still operate effectively.

Is there anything anyone can recommend?

Please help....
    Last edited by thomasbcolley; 08-15-2017 at 11:29 PM.

My Cars
    E36 335i, e39 528i, e46
    May not be helpful but I would have another look at the mechanism.. They are a very basic system so you should be blessed to see what is causing it to bind.. Like I said, probably not helpful but that would be my process

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbcolley View Post
    I want to permanently remove the front passenger seat from my 1997 328i Convertible. I've looked at the DIY instructions here on this forum, but my problem is that my seat will not slide forward enough to expose the rear bolts.

I have tried to slide the seat both with it in the fully upright and fully reclined positions. In both cases, the seat stops at the same point, with the rear bolt hidden by approximately 1.5 inches of the top slide rail. I have shined a light into the track, and there do not appear to be any obstructions. There were two little metal clips, which I removed. Those were actually so far forward that they were not causing interference, but I removed them anyway for good measure.

The car is in poor condition overall and will not likely have another owner beyond myself. I will never want or need to install another passenger seat in the car, and I do not care if either the seat or the mounts are damaged beyond repair in the process of removal. All that matters to me is that the seat comes out, promptly and without substantial expense.

The two front nuts can be removed with a socket. The rear nut closest to the passenger door can be drilled out. How can I remove the rear nut closest to the center of the vehicle? There is inadequate clearance above for it to be drilled out, and I have never seen a wrench that can fit into such a tight space and still operate effectively.

Is there anything anyone can recommend?

Please help....
    The center handle on the seat should raise and lower it. Mess with the handles, mine would slide either but I kept moving it up with that switc and the bolt became exposed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 318ic
    If you peek under the seat you will see two metal tabs, one on each side of the tracks. Take 2 screwdrivers and pull them away from the track(they look like little teeth that fit into the track to lock the seat on place). I can take a picture later if you'd like but if the lever is still functional(the steel cables rust out especially in the verts) you can follow the lines to the little tabs im referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk