Thread: E36 Blower not working when hot outside

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe

E36 Blower not working when hot outside

I have a 1997 M3. When it is hot outside the blower will not turn on.
    So originally when it got to about 106 outside, I turn on the AC and you can see the fan is all the way up but no air would come out. I would have to drive around for a bit then the blower would turn on and work fine...let the car sit again and the same thing would happen. Once the blower was working it would be just fine unless the car was off and sitting back in the heat. So did searches and found it must be the final stage unit right? So I got this:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...r-crp-acb0270p

and replaced it. No luck, if anything now it does the same thing at lower temps outside. They sent me a replacement and still the same issue. Now, I'm lost. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Are you able to pull any codes off the DME? There are likely stored codes that will point you to where to start troubleshooting.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Are you able to pull any codes off the DME? There are likely stored codes that will point you to where to start troubleshooting.
    I assume you mean with a tool such as Peake Research tool? There are no error codes found with this tool.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Peake tool does not check the central chassis electronics, it is only for the engine codes/emission related.
    DME codes are anyway not for blower motor or the climate control.
    To check other system on the car like climate control, heater, blower, locking system etc a better diagnosis system is required.

I will move the thread to the E36 M3 forum, other M3 owners might have had the same problem, so they can chime in.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I just replaced my final stage unit.

My symptoms were that it would mostly be blowing at max power no matter what I set the fan speed to or what the climate control set it to. I've read that the opposite can also be true with the fan not blowing, with the commonality that you have a hard time manually controlling the fan speed and the auto climate control doesn't change the speed either. If this is along the lines of what you're seeing, do the final stage unit first. It's not expensive and will take you less than an hour (but some standing on your head) to replace.

You'll just need a screwdriver, normal sockets, and a torx driver or key set for tools. It's under the driver's side, sort of above and to the right of the gas pedal. You need to take the plastic panel and the big knee bolster out, along with the plastic air vent duct which sits above your feet. Then you should be able to see it in there.

If this doesn't fix it, you can move on to more difficult and expensive things like the climate control head unit or the blower itself.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 08-15-2017 at 11:46 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    I just replaced my final stage unit.

My symptoms were that it would mostly be blowing at max power no matter what I set the fan speed to or what the climate control set it to. I've read that the opposite can also be true with the fan not blowing, with the commonality that you have a hard time manually controlling the fan speed and the auto climate control doesn't change the speed either. If this is along the lines of what you're seeing, do the final stage unit first. It's not expensive and will take you less than an hour (but some standing on your head) to replace.

You'll just need a screwdriver, normal sockets, and a torx driver or key set for tools. It's under the driver's side, sort of above and to the right of the gas pedal. You need to take the plastic panel and the big knee bolster out, along with the plastic air vent duct which sits above your feet. Then you should be able to see it in there.

If this doesn't fix it, you can move on to more difficult and expensive things like the climate control head unit or the blower itself.
    Thanks, but if you see my initial post I already tried 2 Final Stage Units and it did not fix it.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Replace the blower motor. They are wear items.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    You can easily troubleshoot this instead throwing parts at it and hope one of them fixes it.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 1.55.57 PM.png

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

Since it is an intermintent problem, it could be an issue with the IHKA(climate control), a relay, a connector/harness, and a fuse.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    It's the blower motor 100%. These are brushed blower motors, they wear out. It is common for them to work when cold and then not at all when hot. Then some time later they will not work at all.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    OK, it's the blower motor...
    Does anyone know where I can get a replacement motor with removable fan cages? I cannot seem to find one anywhere.
    I tried one without removable cages and could not figure out how to get the old one out (and therefore new one in) without breaking the fan blades.

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by kjl512 View Post
    OK, it's the blower motor...
    Does anyone know where I can get a replacement motor with removable fan cages? I cannot seem to find one anywhere.
    I tried one without removable cages and could not figure out how to get the old one out (and therefore new one in) without breaking the fan blades.
    I recently had similar issues with my blower motor. The motor was wearing out and the increased resistance in the wires due to the increased current draw was melting the final stage blower resistor plug. I purchased a new plug and repinned the wires. That being said, i read up on the procedure to replace the blower motor thinking i would do it myself. Im bold, but not that bold. I brought my car to my trusted indi shop and paid the $750 for the motor and extensive labor that it takes to replace. The blower motor, coupled with a system evacuation and service made the ac blow ice through the miserable New Orleans summer.

Trust Braymond on this one. I consulted him on my issue......he was exactly right.

Use the OEM part from ECS or other parts place.
    Last edited by BAM3; 09-08-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    2002 M5 Sterling Gray (88k)
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    2003 540i MSport 6sp Tit Silver (193k)
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    Aavi's 98 M3/4/5 Cosmos (137k)
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    '95 M3| '98 M3 | '03 M5
    I unnecessarily did a blower motor DIY (didn't check the fuses first), but I got the old blower motor without cutting the cages off... and without breaking anything. I used the Mahle-Behr blower from ECS (without removable cages) and managed to fit that in without breaking anything either. I believe ECS has the Hamburg-Technic that has removable cages but is back ordered.
    1995 Cosmoschwartz M3/2/5- Daily Driver
    1996 Estorilblau M3/2/5- Beater
    1998 Cosmoschwartz M3/4/5- Garaged
    2003 Sterling Grey M5- "Weekend" Car

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    It's the blower motor 100%. These are brushed blower motors, they wear out. It is common for them to work when cold and then not at all when hot. Then some time later they will not work at all.
    Replaced the bosch BLOWER motor and still having the same intermittent operation. What's next? The final stage unit or the climate control module? It's heating up here in the desert. Thanks braymond

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    In your first post, you stated with the fan speed turned all the way up the blower still does not work. That means it was less likely the final stage. Always start easiest and cheapest.

Fuse 20, a 30 amp. Replace it.
    Still have problems, the blower relay. Test the input and outputs.
    Since IHKAs for 96' up E36s are pretty much the same, find a part out on Criagslist.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jprottas View Post
    Replaced the bosch BLOWER motor and still having the same intermittent operation. What's next? The final stage unit or the climate control module? It's heating up here in the desert. Thanks braymond

For the record you’re doing this backwards. In order of repair;
    HVAC Capacitor Fix
    Final Stage Resistor
    Blower Motor

My comments were not suggesting to do the hardest item first.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    For the record you’re doing this backwards. In order of repair;
    HVAC Capacitor Fix
    Final Stage Resistor
    Blower Motor

My comments were not suggesting to do the hardest item first.
    The cages on the BLOWER were in broken pieces so I replaced it. Now I'm having intermittent Fan operation. Thanks for what's next