Thread: New vanos solenoids - fault code came back?

My Cars
    330i

New vanos solenoids - fault code came back?

Hey all,

this is n52 related, hoping it's cool to post here even though my car is an e82.

I had fault code 002A87 (exhaust vanos solenoid mechanically jammed) appear with a check engine light. Cleared codes, problem came back.

Just installed 2x new (genuine BMW) vanos solenoids yesterday, changed the oil & filter, and test drove for ~25 miles without issue. Today, the fault code and check engine light came back. Tried clearing the code, it came back again but no check engine light (yet).

I've been reading that a vanos solenoid fault can trigger a camshaft position sensor fault code, but have not seen anything that says the reverse is possible.

Any ideas on what to test next please? Everything I've read online sounds like replacing the solenoids should fix it.

thank you

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Camshaft bearing ledge.
    The camshaft has a steel rectanguring that slices into the aluminum bearing shell until it begins to leak off oil pressure meant for the VANOS unit.
    I've done them on an n54, it's an involved DIY, but doable. You will need to rent or buy timing tools though.

My Cars
    330i
    Thank you - would this likely be an issue on a 2010 build date? (74k miles on the engine). Sounds pretty major so just wanted to check the 08+ engines were affected too.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    As per SIB 11 02 08 it can be a problem on all straight-6 engines built through 1/2010.

My Cars
    330i
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    As per SIB 11 02 08 it can be a problem on all straight-6 engines built through 1/2010.
    Thank you. Apologies for all the follow up questions... Do you know if the dates listed in the SIB are vehicle production dates or engine production dates please? My car was built 5/2010. Thank you for all the info!

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymar View Post
    Thank you. Apologies for all the follow up questions... Do you know if the dates listed in the SIB are vehicle production dates or engine production dates please? My car was built 5/2010. Thank you for all the info!
    I believe it specifies engine production date, though I'm not sure where you might find that date.
    In theory your car should have an engine that isn't affected by the steel rings, but it seems like even some 2011s have experienced the issue. Obviously you'll want to exhaust all the inexpensive possibilities first, so you might check this out. This little check valve filters the oil to the VANOS solenoids, and it can clog.
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096694
    You might also try swapping your solenoids just to be sure that isn't the problem.
    If you still have the issue, you might need to have a look at the bearing ledge. I'm not convinced that the SIB covers the full range of affected vehicles. This guy has a 2011.
    http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...t-BEWARE!-quot

My Cars
    330i
    Perfect, thank you. I swapped the solenoids and will see if it helps or if the fault jumps to the intake side. Thanks for the heads up on the check valves, I'll try those next if the code comes back.

My Cars
    330i
    The code came back, and it's still the 002A87 on the exhaust side. Guess that rules out the solenoid.

Going to try the check valves next. this isn't looking good.

My Cars
    E90, E46
    Have you checked the oil filter? A missing oil filter insert will cause various vanishing issues. Occasionally the center part of the oil cap falls out and somebody who doesn't know what they are doing might not have put it back.
    before you go crazy just do a simple check and remove the oil filter

My Cars
    330i
    Thank you very much. I checked, and the filter cap looks ok as far as I can tell. I've ordered a new one just to be sure though.

I'm wondering if the vanos bolt failure may be another possibility? I have not had this recall performed on the car yet.

I did also just find a broken external head bolt behind the oil filter housing. I think it might be best to pull the valve cover and check the other head bolts, vanos units, and bearing ledges.