Thread: Car shuts off?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi

Car shuts off?

Hello Guys,
    Hopefully you can help me shine some light on this issue with my car as I’m not the brightest when it comes to mechanical issues. I have a ‘03 325xi with 180K miles on it. I just had to get a new fuel pump since my car shut off on me last week and wasn’t getting any pressure from the fuel pump. After the new pump was installed I noticed I would have to let the key sit in the 2nd position for a little bit or it wouldn’t start as if it had no fuel. Aside from that, my car was running just fine. This morning I went to start my car and it would turn on and shut off right away. I would start it while pushing down the gas pedal and it would stay on, was very shaky but as soon as I let go it would start choking and then shut off. Any help on what it might be? It’s appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Before you spend money on parts, I would suggest that you pull the car's codes. This will give you a pretty definitive answer as to where to start looking/troubleshooting. I'm also attaching a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the E46 platform for future reference.

BMW E46 Technical Articles
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    and if you want to "do something", go looking for a major vacuum leak on your intake. Pretty common and would cause your symptoms, particularly with your advanced mileage.

But do read the codes, they may point you elsewhere, or not, but worthy first thing for any thinking person to do with these highly electronic cars. If the car can tell you what's wrong, let it. Some interpretation may be required, we're all ears.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Fuel filter? Have you had the fuel pressure checked again? And codes.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Honolulu View Post
    and if you want to "do something", go looking for a major vacuum leak on your intake. Pretty common and would cause your symptoms, particularly with your advanced mileage.

But do read the codes, they may point you elsewhere, or not, but worthy first thing for any thinking person to do with these highly electronic cars. If the car can tell you what's wrong, let it. Some interpretation may be required, we're all ears.
    Thank you! I’ll get the codes tonight when my friends brings the reader and post them.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Fuel filter? Have you had the fuel pressure checked again? And codes.
    I actually just got a new fuel pump put in last week. I will get the codes tonight

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What brand is the new fuel pump? Hopefully it's a pump made by Siemens/VDO. Definitely change the fuel filter.