Thread: Convertible Soft Top Issue

My Cars
    1991 325i, 2016 M4

Convertible Soft Top Issue

Yes this has been posted 500 times, but this differs slightly. Background: Original owner stock not messed with in any way 1992 325i convertible with automatic soft top, never had a problem before. It's really a 91 style released as an early 92. Anyway out of nowhere when you unlatch the 2 latches and press the button on the dash to lower the soft top, nothing happens. And by nothing happens I mean it is not even attempting. Total silence, the motors don't even make a slight noise. Most of the threads I am finding are more about being out of alignment/sync etc. I can't even manually pull up the rear deck or anything as it is completely shut. It won't attempt even if I assist it and push back and raise the rear etc. At this point I assumed it was something with a trunk sensor telling the ECU that the trunk is open since I know it won't allow it to work if the trunk is open, but I can't figure out where this sensor would be. Just a thought, but I am aware there are several reasons this would be going on, but after searching and reading and trying everything I really can't find a thing. I am far from an idiot with cars, been building up/rebuilding engines forever but this soft top hell has me stuck. Just hoping someone else had same thing. Thanks!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike92i View Post
    Yes this has been posted 500 times, but this differs slightly. Background: Original owner stock not messed with in any way 1992 325i convertible with automatic soft top, never had a problem before. It's really a 91 style released as an early 92. Anyway out of nowhere when you unlatch the 2 latches and press the button on the dash to lower the soft top, nothing happens. And by nothing happens I mean it is not even attempting. Total silence, the motors don't even make a slight noise. Most of the threads I am finding are more about being out of alignment/sync etc. I can't even manually pull up the rear deck or anything as it is completely shut. It won't attempt even if I assist it and push back and raise the rear etc. At this point I assumed it was something with a trunk sensor telling the ECU that the trunk is open since I know it won't allow it to work if the trunk is open, but I can't figure out where this sensor would be. Just a thought, but I am aware there are several reasons this would be going on, but after searching and reading and trying everything I really can't find a thing. I am far from an idiot with cars, been building up/rebuilding engines forever but this soft top hell has me stuck. Just hoping someone else had same thing. Thanks!
    Did you check your fuses?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1991 325i, 2016 M4
    Quote Originally Posted by peytonnoel View Post
    Did you check your fuses?
    From what I know there is no specific convertible top fuse, unless I'm wrong. But otherwise I don't see any blown fuses.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    TWO latches? My car only has one.

The car has to think, know really, that the trunk lid is closed else the top will not go down. The tonneau cover and the trunk lid will collide if both are open at the same time, so the top will not move if the trunk is open, and the trunk will not open if the tonneau cover is not closed. It's a double interlock. The trunk lid has a wire harness from the lid to the left side fender, the wires in this harness are known to fray, if the frayed wire is the one that tells the car that the trunk is closed, then the top will not operate. Pull the rubber grommet from the corner of the trunk lid and slide it down the to expose the wires. You can also, and you probably should, remove the liner from the trunk lid so you can pull the harness up an inch or two to help expose the damage if there is any -- it will make repair easier too.

The rip cord under the back seat should allow the tonneau cover to be opened, but in my car I think the handle bent before the cover was released. I had to go into the trunk and pull the cables to the latches so that the could be opened. Remove the liner from the left side fender to expose the mechanism that operates the roof and tonneau cover.

My Cars
    1991 325i, 2016 M4
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post

The car has to think, know really, that the trunk lid is closed else the top will not go down. The tonneau cover and the trunk lid will collide if both are open at the same time, so the top will not move if the trunk is open, and the trunk will not open if the tonneau cover is not closed. It's a double interlock. The trunk lid has a wire harness from the lid to the left side fender, the wires in this harness are known to fray, if the frayed wire is the one that tells the car that the trunk is closed, then the top will not operate. Pull the rubber grommet from the corner of the trunk lid and slide it down the to expose the wires. You can also, and you probably should, remove the liner from the trunk lid so you can pull the harness up an inch or two to help expose the damage if there is any -- it will make repair easier too.

The rip cord under the back seat should allow the tonneau cover to be opened, but in my car I think the handle bent before the cover was released. I had to go into the trunk and pull the cables to the latches so that the could be opened. Remove the liner from the left side fender to expose the mechanism that operates the roof and tonneau cover.
    Awesome detail thanks. So I'm not at the car now, but I do recall the cables being perfect but I'll take a closer look. The other thing I am always trying to find is this rip cord under the back seat that everyone speaks of. I've had this seat off several times and have no idea where this is. Anyone have a pic or description of where it is? Seems stupid but I see nothing under the seat. Thanks

My Cars
    1991 325i, 2016 M4
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    I was referring to the 2 above the 2 visors.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I'm confused. The E36 Semi-Auto top has a single handle located above the rear view mirror. You turn the handle to release the latches. There are two latches, but only one point of contact with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Give us the last 7 digits (two letters, followed by five numerals). I think you might not be working on an E36. By year and production month, you straddle the line of E30 and E36.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I think he has an e30 so different top. I believe 1994 was the first year for the e36 vert.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike92i View Post
    Awesome detail thanks. So I'm not at the car now, but I do recall the cables being perfect but I'll take a closer look. The other thing I am always trying to find is this rip cord under the back seat that everyone speaks of. I've had this seat off several times and have no idea where this is. Anyone have a pic or description of where it is? Seems stupid but I see nothing under the seat. Thanks

I think you do not have an E36. There is an obvious red flag under the back seat that disconnects the drive motors from the roof and cover.

My Cars
    1991 325i, 2016 M4
    My bad, 1992 e30..when I posted I saw 1991+ and didn't see e36