RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Probably Dumb Question re E30 Brakes

My Cars
    1988 325ic

Probably Dumb Question re E30 Brakes

Guys -
    I got my wonderful '88 325ic about 20 years ago, and have felt for most of that time that it had the best brakes of any car I'd ever driven.
    My admiration for its stopping power persisted through many pad changes, but when I finally changed the rotors about 3 months ago (to a set of drilled and slotted rotors and pads by Powersport), something went south: pedal feel, as well as braking performance, seems to have changed significantly for the worse.
    Two questions: What did I do wrong? (Go ahead and unload: I'm braced for it) and What should I do to rectify this mistake? (Replace with rotors/pads from BMW? Replace with superior aftermarket product? Recommendations?)
    Thanks -
    Dandydog

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Change the brake pads to a stock OEM set.

Certainly, drilled rotors are not a good idea: they're noisy, they crack, and do not do anything for stopping ability. But that said, it's the pads that are likely the cause of your poor braking. I have never heard of "Powersport" - they are not a proven and trusted supplier of BMW brakes.

For street use, the stock OE, or OEM pads and rotors are your best bet, every time.

Here's a very nice kit, with Brembo rotors, Ate pads, sensor, and stainless steel brake hoses too....for only $300! (I don't know why the link says Akebono, when the pads shown are Ate, an excellent OEM manufacturer)

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-brembo-e30bk3

Personally, I'd likely buy Zimmerman rotors (made in Germany)
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/clo...nt-34111160915
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/clo...ar-34216755407

Pads: Ate are great, OEM
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ad-set-d385a-1
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...et-front-eu279
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-13-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Those Powersport rotors are trash. Drilled and slotted rotors serve no purpose other than to reduce the contact area with the pads and weaken the overall structural integrity of the rotors. They tend to eat pads too.

I went with Brembos all the way around on my E90. They work fine. I have about 5k miles on them and they're still rock steady. Having to do a fast stop from 80 mph is a pretty common occurrence and no problems yet. Still, if I had it to do again, I'd likely go with the Zimmermans, since they're made in Germany. I only found out after my rotors were already on the car that they were manufactured in Brembo's factory in China. Still good rotors though.

As for the pads, I went with the Centric Posi-Quiet pads. They work fine and I'm not experiencing any fade in my daily driving, but again, if I had it to do over again, I'd likely go with one of Chris' recommendations. The reason I went with the Centric pads was because I felt that the stock pads were too grabby and wanted something a little less grabby. In any case, they seem to be working.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    chris sums it up nicely. BMW OE pads/rotors are hard to beat - and, for the street, there's little reason to go elsewhere. with CCA discounts, the parts are affordable.
    drilled/slotted for a street car - no need.

i've had students get brake fade, never had it myself.....

dandy - i've run into this on multiple cars where the switch was made to various aftermarket pads - for whatever reason, they can change the brake feel. i even tried this myself not too long ago on my e36 - i really like PFC pads for track use, so i picked up a set of their z-rated pads. i'm not a real fan of these - they work, and the car always stops but the feel isn't something i like. i'll be switching back to factory pads.

all that said - as i know chris will attest as well, brakes and their feel can be a near religious discussion! find what you like and stick with it!
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    87 325is
    Racing in Spec E30 eats rotors at an alarming rate. I quickly learned to buy the cheapest plain rotors I could find.
    I went through a lot of them in 8 years of racing. Regardless of brand I only had one warped rotor out of the box. I use the same rotors my '87 E30 325is DD. I like a bit more performance on my DD and use Hawk HP+ Sport pads.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Foctory BMW brakes is what you need, pads and rotors

My Cars
    1988 325ic
    Thanks, guys (with special mention to Chris) - I'm on it!

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Just read Chris's signature... yes that's right I know you have a big fat grin on your face haha! Don't we all? When the person we trust so much has so much experience on his belt! His signature never fails to make me smile but hey that's just me lool
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Um, I apologize. It would seem that the signature makes me come across as a egotistical butthole.

That description might just be true, but the signature really wasn't intended to denote that. It just seemed easier to me to go ahead and introduce myself to new guys whom I'm telling to do weird things with their cars.

There are very many incredible guys on this forum, from whom I learn, every single day. Many of them are pro techs, and very many are the best "non-pros" I've ever known. I am here to learn, and to help share whatever I have learned, from my friends , experience, and fellow techs.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learned here, except to say that it has helped me appreciate JUST HOW MUCH I DON'T KNOW !

If I even TRY to give a list of names, of my teachers at this forum, I will make a horrific omission for which I'll never forgive myself.

(But none of my teachers are to blame, for my offensiveness, or my idiocy. Those are mine.)

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    We all learn from eachother except no one learns from me haha
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Um, I apologize. It would seem that the signature makes me come across as a egotistical butthole.
    Nonsense. Your signature tells people that, based your experience and knowledge, your advice is to be given more weight than those of (as a hypothetical example) someone with seven posts who just bought their first BMW last month and can't spell, at least if they know what's good for them. Never apologize for being competent.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Those Powersport rotors are trash. Drilled and slotted rotors serve no purpose other than to reduce the contact area with the pads and weaken the overall structural integrity of the rotors. They tend to eat pads too

Well, slots and drilling do serve a purpose but not on a road car other than affectation and the above downsides.
    OE pads are great for the street as long as you don't mind cleaning your wheels often.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1988 325ic
    Closing remarks for "Dumb Question":
    The question was dumb in that I should have known the answer myself, but the response was fast and accurate. (Thanks again, Chris!) I put off replacing the rotors until some of the dire predictions come true, but I put in anew set of Ate pads, and the feel is back, along with an 20 feet or so worth of extra space. Thanks, guys!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thank you for wrapping up your experience . This makes all the difference, when someone else is looking for information.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412