Thread: E36 328i dedicated track build!

My Cars
    E36 328i track car

E36 328i dedicated track build!

Today I picked up my BMW E36 328i, a car that will become a dedicated track car.
    The car isn’t road legal so I picked it up on a trailer and brought it to my garage. The building process will start soon and I will make a video about most of the process. As you can see in the video below, there is still a lot of work, but thats the fun part! I expect the car to be track ready in about 6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_PanOpTeHk
    I will make a follow up video on this, explaining more in detail what needs to happen to the car to get it track ready.

But first some pictures!

My Cars
    E36 328i track car
    I have finally started building the car!

To start off the build, I did some small things like removing excess parts, adding a licence plate (not road legal car but for the looks :p ), refuelled the car, cleaned the car a little,...
    But my major focus was on the wiring of the car. This needs to be completely redone. I'm now in the process of removing every wire that isn't needed but it is very hard to figure out what wire does what as they are just cut off (photo beneath)

I also removed some of the parts behind the dash like insulation, brackets,... some things will be put back but this way I have easier access to the components.

Hopefully the wiring will be done soon so can start doing more of the fun stuff!

Because I love making videos, I also made a video explaining everything in detail and showing some of the work:

Thanks for reading/watching, updates will follow soon!

My Cars
    E36 328i track car
    Hi!

I have been hard at work on my E36 328i, the first major job was the wiring. I haven’t finished it yet but removed a lot of cables (photo beneath), several kilos. I have made a video about the part I did, but some work still has to be done. Removing the last cables, making a switch panel and making it all work.
    The rear harness has been completely rebuild (not show in video), inlucing tail lights and fuel system. Most of the luxury and comfort wires have also been removed. Central locking has also been removed as the car doesn’t need to be able to be locked.

There are some glitches with the HVAC system that need to be figured out, the headlights need te be repaired and then I can finish the wiring, install the dash and make the switch panel.

Before:

After:

Now I am working on the front end: removing the AC system, adding a lip to the front bumper, fixing the headlights + headlight wiring (more wiring ), adding cooling to the alternator, flusing the cooling system, removing the winscreen washing system, …
    Lots of work but more fun work than wiring.

Hope you enjoy the build!

My Cars
    E36 328i track car

After countless hours of wiring work, I could finally start doing the ‘real’ work on the car. I decided to start in the front of the car, I wanted to delete everything that wasn’t necessary. So first I took of the bumper and headlights (which were wired up like sh*t, they shorted out when the lights were turned on). Then I proceded by removing the AC condensor, radiator, washer fluid system and then the rest of the AC system. While doing so I also removed the horns (3?!?) and some useless brackets. As with the rest of the car the wiring was a disaster so I had to do that again (not shown in this video, will be included in the next). Because I love making videos, I made a montage style video of the whole process. I’m really happy with how the video came out and the overall feel to it. So if you can spare 5 minutes, I certainly recommend you to watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sUC_msTpT4

​If you like what you see, please subscribe on my channel, the link is below!
    Thanks for reading/watching!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tomvd; 10-27-2017 at 12:17 PM.

My Cars
    E36 328i track car
    The front end needed some attention, especially the wiring and the headlight weren’t working. I completely rebuild the wiring harness, fixed the wiring on the headlights and reinstalled them. The radiator that was removed previously was also reinstalled. I also fitted a front lip that came with the car. All this I made into a nice edit: