Thread: Sun Roof inner panel removal

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

Sun Roof inner panel removal

Hi guys,

I put my sunroof back on to check the fitting after removing the inside panel. Now it doesn't sit level with the roof when in the fully forward position. Was I supposed to put the liner tracks back in after removal? I was following frankies guide. It didn't say you had to put them back in. Why would the back sit so low. without the inside panel?

http://www.frankies-bmw.com/8series/...es_sunroof.php

20170813_140207.jpg20170813_140156.jpg

My Cars
    '92 850i 6-speed (SOLD)
    I too am very interested in the solution to this as the rear of my sunroof panel doesn't sit flush with the roof (it's about 1/8" below the roof while the front is flush). The previous owner had all the mechanical components replaced a couple years back, so I am hoping it's a simple adjustment. I read frankie's link a couple of times and wasn't seeing the solution there.

Sean

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    You need to slide the inner panel back and adjust the three torx screws that hold the outer panel to the lift mechanism until it sits flush. Its an iterative process. Took me about 10 times up and down to readjust mine the first time I did it. Once I had it level I took a white paint pen and drew around the screw heads so when I go to reinstall it again here later this week after the headliner and other pieces are reupholstered it shouldn't take nearly as long...

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    So I have to put the inner panel back in, but not put the track pieces back?

I know I can adjust the three torx screws, but it seems like the top panel sits a lot lower than that adjustment could fix.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfebrian2120 View Post
    So I have to put the inner panel back in, but not put the track pieces back?

I know I can adjust the three torx screws, but it seems like the top panel sits a lot lower than that adjustment could fix.
    Thats a good question. I suppose that you don't need to put the liner back in but I would make sure all the other bits and pieces are back in and see what happens. If it is fully adjusted to push the panel out as far as it can with the pieces out and it is still not flush I would assume that you would need to have the track pieces reinstalled for everything to align properly on the exterior of the body...

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    The inner panel is the last piece you install. The height adjustments screws are the last adjustment you will do to the sunroof. It will take several cycles to get the roof adjusted correctly. PM me if you want a repair/replace write up or go here: http://www.frankies-bmw.com/8series/...es_sunroof.php

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    The inner panel needs to go in and be slid back before you put the lid on. Only after you have all the adjustments done, do you pull the inner panel forward and engage it in the racks.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    '92 850i 6-speed (SOLD)
    I need some clarification as Frankie's DIY isn't clear. I know how to disconnect the inner panel from its tracks and slide it to the rear. Can it be removed from that position or do I have to remove the exterior metal sunroof panel to lift it out?

Sean

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    You have to remove the exterior panel to lift it out as it has to come out from up top. Once the panel is slid back, you have access to the the 3 torx bolts on both sides of the panel. lift up the back first and jiggle the panel toward the back. There are two clips on the front that grab a L shaped piece near the front bolts. It can be tricky but wiggling the panel will let it come free.

I learned that the inner panel must be in there if you want the sunroof to be level with the roof. I just took out the tracks and left it in there.

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Do yourself a favor and scribe around the two rear screws on each side with a white paint pen. If your panel is nice and level on the outside when you go to refit the sunroof panel you will be able to center the screws inside the white circles and not have to mess around with adjusting it up and down to get it right. I did it this way just a few weeks ago and it aligned perfectly the first time I reinstalled the outer panel. Be gentle with the metal bars on the liner slides. If you pull too hard you will crack it off...