Thread: What kind of connectors for gauges

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!

What kind of connectors for gauges

Hi, I am wiring up some spa dual gauges in my car. Should I use tap in squeeze connectors, M-F slide connectors, or solder and heat shrink for the wiring in the car? I will probably solder the wires together in the engine bay. I threaded a dozen wires thru the passenger firewall and plan to splice the gauge wiring harnesses (cutting them in half) to them.

I don't think I ll be changing gauges regularly but having the option to disconnect wiring when fixing stuff can be a plus. Thanks for any comments.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Crimp bullet connectors are fine. It's nice to be able to remove them if/when needed.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    For gauges I actually like to use long-ish leads and some kind of simple, removable connector like a bullet or blade. That's just for convenience when I need to pull the panel for maintenance.

I don't like the tap-in connectors because I had one fail on me due to vibration. I like to cut the B+ or the ground wire and connect in a new pigtail lead for whatever I'm adding. I

t's not a big deal with gauges, but I also try to remember how much current draw I'm adding to the circuit so I'm sure I don't exceed the fuse or breaker rating. If it's even close, I will pull a new B+ line from the main feed, with a breaker or fuse.

Solder connections tend to have vibration failure issues, so they need to be heat-shrinked not taped. And they can wick moisture up into the insulation if not heat-shrinked well. I use them when I'm building up components, but not for auto, just because I find crimps easier and faster.

Crimped connections are fine, but they will fail on me if I don't use a connector that matches the gauge of the wire. Or if I try to improvise a crimping tool, instead of using the specific kind of crimper designed for that connector. The best connector bits for me seem to be the marine-grade hardware with the integrated heavy-duty heat shrink. It's not that expensive to get an assortment box off Amazon and it will last me a couple motor-swap and gauge panel builds.
    Last edited by JBasham; 08-14-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thanks Dan and Jamey! I might take a close look at the bullet type connectors. I bought some blade type connectors and had some tap in connectors already.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    I don't want to be that guy, but I guess I will...
    First take any and all of these things (if this is what you mean by squeeze connector):

And throw them in the trash or give them to someone who you do not like.

I like simple non insulated spades on gauges with heat shrink for easy removal of gauge panels.

I hate seeing Walmart / Kmart / Autozone style insulated connectors on race cars.
    They belong with the Scotchlok connectors, in the trash or maybe for when you are fixing your lawnmower.

Although different connector (eyelet vs spade) this pic is sorta what you are looking for (or at least the mininum I will put on my race cars).

Last edited by jimmypet; 08-15-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    When I did all of my gauges I soldered except for the grounds which I screwed down. You run the risk of a bad connection with ANY connector otherwise.

I never intended to change or remove the setup.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by E36forever View Post
    When I did all of my gauges I soldered except for the grounds which I screwed down. You run the risk of a bad connection with ANY connector otherwise.

I never intended to change or remove the setup.
    Not really. Solder splices are fine, but can be more prone to fatiguing where the solder stops if not well supported. They're normally only used when space is tight. Crimps are preferable for high vibe situations and are the standard for aerospace harnessing. Not surprisingly, the key for both is using proper parts with proper tooling with proper inspection.

(I'm way too familiar with NASA-STD-8739.4)

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Not really. Solder splices are fine, but can be more prone to fatiguing where the solder stops if not well supported. They're normally only used when space is tight. Crimps are preferable for high vibe situations and are the standard for aerospace harnessing. Not surprisingly, the key for both is using proper parts with proper tooling with proper inspection.

(I'm way too familiar with NASA-STD-8739.4)

^^^^^ All of this ^^^^^
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    When soldering what is the preferred technique? twist in helix, two loops, or just lay wires side by side for ease of removal later? Thanks again guys!

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Never side by side. Solder won't make a physical joint worth relying on.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    side-by-side is actually Ok. It's fiddly though. The lineman method of physically wrapping the two wires together is handy since it holds your work together before soldering.

https://prod.nais.nasa.gov/eps/eps_d...ER-002-006.pdf

Start reading at page 80. It's actually a pretty handy guide and oddly enough, not rocket science.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thanks! Another question: why are the insulated connectors made of hard plastic? Doesn't this make it hard to crimp? special crimp tool needed?

I may go return the ones I bought and get the non-insulated ones then finish with heat shrink as jimmy p. suggested...Thanks again guys... gauges and wiring are in. Just need to finish connecting the wires.
    Last edited by scooper; 09-03-2017 at 07:46 PM.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Edgar, I have no luck making good long-lasting crimped connections with anything other than the proper crimping tool for that kind of connector. For the crimp-on spades and eyelets, etc like Jimmypet so excellently pictured, the crimper is not an expensive tool. Squeeze that sucker shut like you're trying to break it.

It mashes right through the plastic collars. Or you can pull the plastic off the metal connector and throw it away.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thanks Jamey! I bought some bullet styled ones and will remove plastic insulation. Then I'll heat shrink them. I'll squeeze those suckers thanks! hahaha