Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction- New Turbo M3 Owner

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Here's my humble opinion so you can take it for what it's worth as I'm just a complete stranger on the internet that rarely posts anymore.

Just buy the RE71R 255/40/17

If you want the last little bit of performance and plan on doing a couple track days and don't mind the heat cycling out on the street:
    NT01
    R888 if you drive in the rain more (but all these tires suck in the rain honestly)

If you want to do track days, and have cheaper tires, that last longer, and go nearly as fast
    ZII star spec
    RS3
    Rival (haven't run the newest compound)
    Sport Cup 2

Have no personal experience with the V720. It was supposed to replace/ be faster than the XS and that tire is loud and not as fast as it should be. The people I've see with v720s are usually in it for the budget performance and don't care about being a few seconds slower than the RE71R or ZII.

What is your intended usage?
    How much do you want to spend?
    How long do you want them to last?

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo, 2015 GTI,
    Thanks for the reply..As for use, this car is my toy...It might see 5k miles a year if that. 2-4 Track days per year (since I am running ChumpCar now, tracking my M3 is on the back burner). Looking for great traction and lower noise. Since I don't drive it that much, wear really isn't too big of a factor. I just bought a spare set of Contours to mount up as well. Trying to find that sweet spot with more traction than the PSS, but not too much where I start popping axles and trans/diff...I have no desire for drag launches or the such...My biggest issue is the lag...nothing, nothing, nothing, then tire smoke....
    Ken

95' Dakar M3
    (GT35) 500whp+ and no clue what I'm doing....
    Steedspeed Twin-scroll Manifold, Wiseco 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Supertech Valvetrain, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) Twin-Scroll 1.06 AR, Schrick Cams, TRM Tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix, Coilovers, Chassis Stuffs.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    With big power you will light up any street tire including RE71R. Go to a 100 treadwear R compound and you will eventually hook up. Something like the NT01R or R888 or RA1. The RA1 has 8/32 tread and a street like tread pattern.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    If you liked the super sports, the sport cup 2s are really really good tires. Very tolerant of heat, great grip, predictable, but they're expensive and terrible in the rain.

The re71r will hook 2nd gear at a decent drag strip at your power level, might need to pedal first. Great on the street, you'll most likely overheat them on the track after a couple laps. They get kind of noisy over tar strips.

I thought kuhmo updated the 720 usage to recommend NOT using them at track days. They're an autocross only tire so that's something else to keep in mind if you start leaning that way.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo, 2015 GTI,
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin325i View Post
    I
    thought kuhmo updated the 720 usage to recommend NOT using them at track days. They're an autocross only tire so that's something else to keep in mind if you start leaning that way.
    I just read this on Tire Rack's site....Wow...You would think with all the experience they have with track tires like the Victoracer, that they would have made a better 200TW tire that can hold up to Track usage. I am leaning towards the YOKO ADO8 (as they are cheap on closeout now and highly rated)the Hankook RS4, or the RE71R.. We are running those RS4's on our chumpcar in a couple weeks and I am curious to see how they hold up. I love the Pilot sport cups, but can't justify the price.

Thanks again for that heads up on the V720's. I was about to pull the trigger on those.
    Ken

95' Dakar M3
    Steedspeed Twin-scroll Manifold, Wiseco 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Supertech Valvetrain, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) Twin-Scroll 1.06 AR, Schrick Cams, TRM Tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix, Coilovers, Chassis Stuffs.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    We run the RE71 on our Chumpcar, great tire...but like most great tires with great grip comes low life. They are pretty much a street legal slick that is in the 200TW class. I run the RS3/4 on my e36 at the house, better life and pretty close to the performance of the RE71.

Off Topic: If you end up at the Chumpcar race at Barber's let me know, our team will be there (Wine'um and Dine-um)

Congrats on the car!
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo, 2015 GTI,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab31169 View Post
    We run the RE71 on our Chumpcar, great tire...but like most great tires with great grip comes low life. They are pretty much a street legal slick that is in the 200TW class. I run the RS3/4 on my e36 at the house, better life and pretty close to the performance of the RE71.

Off Topic: If you end up at the Chumpcar race at Barber's let me know, our team will be there (Wine'um and Dine-um)

Congrats on the car!
    We can't make the barber race...We're doing AMP at the end of this month and then we'll be doing Sebring at the end of the year. Our team is 'Apex Predators'. We're just a group of guys that got tired of doing HPDE's. Running a 3.8L 99' Fireburd in group C. It's a bit heavy 2900-3000, but it's safe and not horrible on gas like the class D cars...

Thanks for the feedback on the RS4's...Might have to do that then...
    Ken

95' Dakar M3

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicker10u View Post
    We can't make the barber race...We're doing AMP at the end of this month and then we'll be doing Sebring at the end of the year. Our team is 'Apex Predators'. We're just a group of guys that got tired of doing HPDE's. Running a 3.8L 99' Fireburd in group C. It's a bit heavy 2900-3000, but it's safe and not horrible on gas like the class D cars...

Thanks for the feedback on the RS4's...Might have to do that then...
    Yea we are skipping AMP, Not a big fan of that track, its like the took the worst part of all of your favorite tracks and put it in one place. Great facility, just an average track. Great go karts from what I hear.

We are in C group as well, one of the non-cheaty e36's. Made it 23 1/2 hours at VIR24 before a valve dropped. In 2018 we hope to make Road ATL, Daytona, VIR24, NCM, and maybe a long drive (Road America or Watkins Glen). I'll keep an eye out for you guys. Good luck at AMP.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo, 2015 GTI,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab31169 View Post
    Yea we are skipping AMP, Not a big fan of that track, its like the took the worst part of all of your favorite tracks and put it in one place. Great facility, just an average track. Great go karts from what I hear.

We are in C group as well, one of the non-cheaty e36's. Made it 23 1/2 hours at VIR24 before a valve dropped. In 2018 we hope to make Road ATL, Daytona, VIR24, NCM, and maybe a long drive (Road America or Watkins Glen). I'll keep an eye out for you guys. Good luck at AMP.
    Was James Hartridge or Todd on your team by any chance? Someone was telling me that story about the valve dropping at the last minute. My buddy Gary was running in a White 2nd Gen Camaro in D Group in that race. Sounds like it was brutal with the rain in the night.
    Ken

95' Dakar M3

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicker10u View Post
    Was James Hartridge or Todd on your team by any chance? Someone was telling me that story about the valve dropping at the last minute. My buddy Gary was running in a White 2nd Gen Camaro in D Group in that race. Sounds like it was brutal with the rain in the night.
    James was on the team we were sharing a pit with, Todd's team (Inglorious Basterds). Todd is a good friend of most of the people on our team, I actually just bought a transmission off him. That car dropped a valve 2 hours into the race...it was terrible for them. Eskew was kicking ass in that car until that valve dropped. Our valve drop was self-initiated (Money Shift). I did one of the night shifts in the rain, at the time it was pretty close to the most terrifying thing I've ever done, but when I got out of the car I wanted back in to try again. Our team captain was smart enough to bring a set of some rain tires and it helped a lot. Just hard to see at night...VIR is probably the darkest place I've ever been at night.

That was the first time I met james, just tell him Chris the rookie from Wine-um dine-um said hello. VIR was my first time W2W and even my first time in an open passing group.
    Last edited by Jab31169; 10-06-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo, 2015 GTI,

A little before and after shot as I’ve started going through the running gear on the car. Probably going to be a while before it sees the track since we have another Chumpcar race coming up before too long. It’s nice actually as I can take my time in getting it all done. New pads, rotors, hardware and wheel stud conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken

95' Dakar M3

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo, 2015 GTI,

Living the meth life. Hope my teeth don’t rot.

VP cans are $45 by me. Is that the going rate?

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken

95' Dakar M3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12