Thread: What is leaking on my diff?

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster

What is leaking on my diff?

I noticed some small drops of oil under the rear of my car, took a peak and it looks like oil has been spraying all over the drivers side rear of the car. Based on the oil marks on the trunk floor and exhaust I am going to guess its the joint between the diff and output shaft? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks. 20170812_151449.jpg20170812_151436.jpg20170812_151513.jpg

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    The stripe can only be one (1) of two (2) things; most likely is that the stub-axle is__or was__partially out of the case, so pop it back in. Alternatively, if the CVJ has a tear in the boot, it could be slinging grease.

Not positive if you're showing more oil on the rear cover, but if it was overfilled, or a substandard lube that foamed, it could be coming out the vent hole.

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    The stripe can only be one (1) of two (2) things; most likely is that the stub-axle is__or was__partially out of the case, so pop it back in. Alternatively, if the CVJ has a tear in the boot, it could be slinging grease.

Not positive if you're showing more oil on the rear cover, but if it was overfilled, or a substandard lube that foamed, it could be coming out the vent hole.
    Thanks Randy, it has been a bit since I have changed the diff fluid (it is due). I believe I used Royal Purple last time. I dropped the rear end a bit ago for new suspension/bushings/bearings/etc. so wouldn't be surprised if the stub-axle did pop out. I tried checking the boot the best I could without jacking the car up, it is definitely oil leaking and not grease.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Front pinion seal, diff side seals, rear cover gasket, drain plug seals. You need to get the car lifted so you can see the diff clearly

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    If you disconnected the shock and let the trailing arm droop, then it very likely pulled the stub axle out. Just pop it back in and top up.

/.randy

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster
    Finally got it on stands tonight, the stub axle has definitely popped out. I tried pushing as hard as I could, also got a mallet and a metal rod and tried tapping it in but cant get the thing to budge. Any tips on how to pop it back in?

20170815_182057.jpg

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by m34ever View Post
    Finally got it on stands tonight, the stub axle has definitely popped out. I tried pushing as hard as I could, also got a mallet and a metal rod and tried tapping it in but cant get the thing to budge. Any tips on how to pop it back in?

20170815_182057.jpg
    It looks like the splines are loose relative to what they mate on inside the diff - with a soft mallet try moving the stub back to be concentric: then it should slide back in... but if push comes to shove: unbolt the half-shaft, which will give you better access, then you should be able to make it co-axial/concentric and slide it back in... though there is a concern that to be that canted, that there is quite a bit of slop between the male and female halves of the spline, and you might need to replace the stub.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    It looks like you have bilstein HD shocks? I have those too and every time I jack up the rear and let the suspension go to full drop, the passenger side stub axle pops out. I've replaced the c-clip and it didn't help.

To get it back in I drive the passenger rear tire up on a few boards, then I carefully knock the stub axle back in with another block of wood. Driving that corner up on some boards puts some additional force on the stub axle to go back in. When the suspension is at full drop, you have the opposite effect and it's harder to get back in. At least that has been my experience...