Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E30 moving battery

My Cars
    89 325ic

E30 relocating battery and power distribution

So I'm thinking of moving the battery to the trunk. Don't really have a pressing need to, other than to free up some space in the engine compartment and clean up some of the wiring. If anyone has done this, I'd be interested in whether you were/are happy with the result.

Secondly, I have 6 wires connected to my positive battery terminal (amp, alarm, alternator, fan relay, etc.). I was thinking of installing 1 (or maybe 2) power distribution blocks. Would it be possible to run a bigger cable from the battery to the engine compartment and then split the power to two distorbution blocks? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Dana
    Last edited by bemmergirl; 08-13-2017 at 08:44 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Hmmm, my 1985 325e had its battery in the trunk. I'm surprised BMW moved it to the engine compartment.
    You could run a cable along the right side of the car. Basically, the cable needs to run up over the rr wheel housing, into the cabin, forward in the frame rail and into the engine compartment. But why?

My Cars
    89 325ic
    Hi Marco,

Well foremost, because when my boyfriend replaced my battery (very nice of him) he bought a battery that is too tall. The terminals are actually rubbing holes in the felt hood protector. It took some time to recognize this and thus I don't just want to junk a perfectly good battery. In addition, there is so much connected to the positive terminal I thought moving it to the back, and installing a distribution box, would clean up the engine compartment a bit. Thirdly, it will give me a bit more room in the engine compartment (not a huge deal).