Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Control Pressure Regulator questions and pressure interpretation assistance

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Pictures of upgrade being made and Installed Picture of upgrade. Relay socket available from bmw dealership and elsewhere available. 6.3mm female terminals for wire end connected to the Hella WUR/AAV dedicated relay available lots of places, Ring terminals available everywhere, adhesive lined heat shrink available, Voltage/Amperage sag to WUR/AAV is no more and taxing the Fuel Pump relay is kaput,plus its protected now by diode relays upstream.
    In the diagram update rough draft to red color wire 7.5 SFE fused connected to + battery post. SFE is automotive glass fuses. DMI-Draft-Manufacture-Install or DMTI-Draft-Manufacture-Test-Install.

DSCI0001.jpgDSCI0003.jpgDSCI0006.jpgDSCI0007.jpg

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 08-31-2017 at 02:03 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

The back story on the Hella wiring harness upgrade or update in these bmw e21's..lol

When these cars first came out the BMW Fuel Pump Relay was like $100-200, in 1980 or so, very expensive, These relays were kicking the bucket and BMW was raking in the cash as this work horse relay was running 4 devices and signal Ve/A to another Relay. A BMW Car wiring harness Engineer from BMW corporation came to the States and went to work for Hella on the eastern seaboard of the US--Hella makes relays,ect. and what happened was the senior vice president of hella here in the States or US as you prefer got wind that this engineer that was hired by hella had a repair for the BMW fuel pump relays going out so fast,,Hella as you may know or not know provided the wiring harnesses for these cars--Hella Made and BMW Corp bought them complete from them I believe in 3 sections, so the VP of Hella made announcement about the repair to the harness that got the fuel pump relay to work longer add another relay--hella relay--which I have installed.

The announcement was issued by Hella to Hella customers by the then Senior VP of Hella here, the man in charge and then went silent.

Hella may come up with complete wiring harnesses again-original one w/o upgrade,, last time I bought one it was $800-$1,000--all brand new wiring, caps and so forth in ~ 3 sections Made by Hella and there subcontractors in plain jane plastic bags.

If you are Gosh, and I mean Gosh,there was a few companies in Germany that made complete silver wire wiring harnesses for these cars instead of oxygen free copper wire standard...lol

BMW to counter hella update started to work on Fuel Pump Relays that were more heavy duty and thats where it sits today..lol

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-03-2017 at 01:34 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Further Note:

Since the repair to the wiring harness was initiated by Hella maker of the wiring harness and officially issued by repair no , ect, it would pass the scrutiny of Bonded and Certified Car Appraisers who issue Bonded OEM Car Appraisals and considered OEM. Bonded Car appraisals are used for insurance purposes and by both smart buyers and sellers to protect there investment.

Hella did issue, Hella made splice units for a fee and free then went silent, legal details by contract between Hella and BMW the usual reservation clause was present that allowed Hella to update the wiring harness, Hella did not want to be left holding the bag for the fuel pump relay issue or miss there chair when the music stops, as BMW designed the wiring harness and Hella made it for them..

I quess you have figured out Hella made the fuel pump relay that had the BMW logo on it and not Hella logo.. ,,thats car business folks.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-03-2017 at 02:28 PM.

My Cars
    83 320i 00 540i6 85 535i
    After cleaning the WUR and tuning, the car is still stuttering.
    I had questioned my leak testing abilities, so I burned through another can of carburetor cleaner to no avail.
    I have ordered the bushing for the bottom of the dipstick tube- do not know how else to test for it's functionality).
    Haven't done a valve adjustment yet (car was hot after testing) and have developed an issue with the cold start valve.
    Plugs, wires and filter changed.
    Thought the issue might be the fuel mixture is too rich, but I have leaned it out in small increments several times now and am not noticing any improvement in the stutter. I might have the mixture too lean as it is REALLY difficult to start without the cold start valve working.
    Thoughts?

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

John stopped by and we had a nice chat- car talk--lol,,I upgraded the tool from my home made to S and G Tool aid corp-Bosch CIS test kit,,He'll get the cold control pressure dialed in and get too the 3 control pressure tests and system pressure test..

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-05-2017 at 11:38 AM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Car stuttering can be from several items, loose or cracked vacuum hoses, clogged fuel filter,wore out spark plug(s), bad spark plug wire(s),fuel pump struggling to maintain pressure,clogged air filter, water in the gas,eliminate one by one---Having new tune up parts installed solves a host of issues,,Definitely adjust the valves to .006-.008" at TDC

How old is your O2 sensor ? this causes idle-ect problems if its not working correctly-too slow to react within specifications.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-08-2017 at 12:39 PM.

My Cars
    83 320i 00 540i6 85 535i
    Randy-
    No loose or cracked hoses (at least none that affect idle when carb cleaner is used as test medium for leak).
    Pressure is fine
    Air box is removed
    and I do not think I have fuel in the water line- I have cycled through a couple of tanks trying to diagnose and car is garaged
    Just checked valves- they were all between .006" and .008".
    When I pulled the plugs (to facilitate rotating crank shaft for valve clearance check), I found this on cylinder 4:
    IMG_6463.jpg
    IMG_6462.jpg
    The clearance for the spark has been minimized as the arm has been struck (can you see the imprint from the piston) while in the chamber. Certainly this affect performance...

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

That would effect the spark plug firing, gap too small and cause hiccups .

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-11-2017 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

One point I did not mention, testing the WUR and or AAV before and after the Hella upgrade to the wiring harness changes nothing the test(s) work exactly in the same way as before the upgrade.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-15-2017 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Okay,, Complete WUR Adjustment:
    * The WUR has to be grounded to operate--on the engine--on the brake master--where I do mine.

1.) Open the WUR up and separate the 2 halves, Remove the spring ,the cap, and the small metal bar
    2.) take off the bimetal bar off the metal peg, remove the nut then the bar will come out with washer and lock washer
    3.) Tap the peg holding the bimetal bar with socket--dont crush the threads-tap until near flush on the other side.
    4.) Tap the metal piece with a hole in the center until its about 3 mm high from its housing, this has the two hoses connected to it and is completely removable.
    5.) Put it all together and connect the bottom hose from the WUR to the fuel distributor.
    6.) The top hose is connected to the big hole in the WUR to the Fuel Distributor thru the Fuel Pressure Gauge.
    7.) Plug in the WUR to the wiring Harness
    8.) Jumper your Fuel Pump Socket
    9.) Turn the Key on and Wait 5 minutes--WUR will be Warmed up fully.
    10.) Look at the pressure Gauge it will be very low
    11.) In between the two lines on the WUR place a long extension 1/4 or 3/8's and strike the other end with hammer
    12.) You'll notice the pressure on the gauge starts to rise, strike softly and continue until its 48-54 psi,, 48 psi is better--this is a rich setting and your BMW likes it rich like mine..
    13.) Now shut it off and wait till the wur is cold,,
    14.) Disconnect the plug to the WUR
    15.) Turn the Key on and look at the pressure maybe 30-40 psi--No biggee.
    16.) Take your extension or Drift and place on the small metal cylinder--near flush and tap with hammer
    17. ) you'll see the pressure coming down, tap very carefully until you at 20 psi.
    18.) Your Done--You set Warm Control Pressure and Cold Control Pressure.
    19.) If your in Very Hot or Cold Places use a chart--otherwise your good to go--Standard for these is 20/50 --20/48 psi Gold Standard...

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 04-14-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123