Thread: air bag deployment

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z3 1996 Lexus

air bag deployment

Grandsons just bought a 2006 325xi that had an accident. It was a deer hit at low speed but the driver air bag deployed. I scanned it and came up with the following codes:
    93b2
    93b4
    93b6
    93a8
    93d4
    93a9
    From what I can gather, the air bag needs to be replaced along with the driver side tensioner and a rear passenger tensioner. Does the whole tensioner need to be replaced or only a portion? After I replace said parts, will I be able to reset the codes or is this a dealer only reset? The car drives good, and I am willing to put some effort to fix it. Any help would be appreciated as I have never worked on an air bag system before.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Grandsons just bought a 2006 325xi that had an accident. It was a deer hit at low speed but the driver air bag deployed. I scanned it and came up with the following codes:
    93b2
    93b4
    93b6
    93a8
    93d4
    93a9
    From what I can gather, the air bag needs to be replaced along with the driver side tensioner and a rear passenger tensioner. Does the whole tensioner need to be replaced or only a portion? After I replace said parts, will I be able to reset the codes or is this a dealer only reset? The car drives good, and I am willing to put some effort to fix it. Any help would be appreciated as I have never worked on an air bag system before.
    Ok, looks like you need a Battery Safety Terminal, Driver's airbag (1st and 2nd stage), Driver's pretensioner, right rear pretensioner. The 93D4 code specifies that a crash telegram is stored. The whole tensioner needs to be replaced, it's the whole buckle assembly. All the bags and tensioners can probably be had pretty cheap off ebay.
    Based on the smart airbag beploying both stages and the BST activating, I'm thinking it might have hit something a bit more substantial than a deer. I would check it out very thoroughly.
    As far as clearing out the telegram, it depends. Some modules do not allow the memory to be cleared (not even by the dealer), so the MRS module needs to be replaced. You might try with ISTA+. If the memory cannot be cleared, you could replace the module with a used one, just code it to the car. PM me if you want free download links to all kinds of dealer software.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z3 1996 Lexus
    I've replaced both the right rear pre-tensioner and drivers pre-tensioner. The codes for those went away after I scanned again. But the rear left showed up right after I replaced them? Is that normal? BTW, thank you very much for the detailed reply.
    Last edited by jaaa; 08-19-2017 at 07:42 AM.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I've replaced both the right rear pre-tensioner and drivers pre-tensioner. The codes for those went away after I scanned again. But the rear left showed up right after I replaced them? Is that normal? BTW, thank you very much for the detailed reply.
    It's possible that the code for left rear pre-tensioner was initially absent, but showed up when you scanned again. Can you see if the left rear pre-tensioner has deployed? Since the rear seat does not have an occupancy mat, I'm not sure if it fires the pre-tensioners by default, or if it determines occupancy through buckled seat belts.
    What software are you using to read the codes?

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z3 1996 Lexus
    I used an Autel 619 to pull codes. When I pulled the seat for the first time to install the right rear tensioner, I noticed the left rear was bad also. I guess I could have missed it on scrolling down the list, but I thought I was pretty careful.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z3 1996 Lexus
    Got the air bag problems all sorted out. New bag, three pre-tensioners, and a cheater resister for the battery squib. Now I have a low speed(from 20 to 30 MPH) sound coming from both front wheels. It sounds like something flopping around. When buying the car the owner claimed that it was the upper mounts on the struts and that it was a common problem. Since I'm new to this vehicle, could anyone chime in on that? I've replaced quick struts before and I didn't seem anything in the setup of the upper struts that would have made this noise. Perhaps the piston bellows could have made that noise. IDK Had two happy grandsons today when I cleared the last of the airbag problems.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Got the air bag problems all sorted out. New bag, three pre-tensioners, and a cheater resister for the battery squib. Now I have a low speed(from 20 to 30 MPH) sound coming from both front wheels. It sounds like something flopping around. When buying the car the owner claimed that it was the upper mounts on the struts and that it was a common problem. Since I'm new to this vehicle, could anyone chime in on that? I've replaced quick struts before and I didn't seem anything in the setup of the upper struts that would have made this noise. Perhaps the piston bellows could have made that noise. IDK Had two happy grandsons today when I cleared the last of the airbag problems.
    Congratulations on sorting all the airbag issues. That must be great fun with the grandsons.
    It's interesting that you have the sound from both front wheels, that makes me think sway bar. The strut mount allows the spring to smoothly glide when going over bumps or turning, so a failed one tend to make a thump or bong sound as the spring jumps a little. Since you describe a flopping sound, I would check the belly pans and fender liners to make sure nothing is loose. Belly pans, fender liners, and mud flaps tend to have a speed range where they flap in the breeze, much like what you describe. The swaybar and end links are best checked with the car up on ramps where you can check for play. You could also jack up one wheel and wiggle it to see if you have play or strut noise. Does the sound occur just driving at certain speeds, or is it brought on by something specific like turns, bumps, braking, etc?

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z3 1996 Lexus
    It sounds to me like both front wheels, but I've been fooled by sound locations before. It is definitely speed related. 25 to 35 range is noisy and above 45 you don't hear it. It could very well be a panel vibrating or fluttering. I'll borrow my neighbors ramps and see If I can induce a noise. I had it up on jacks on all corners and couldn't duplicate on an unloaded suspension. Thanks for the ideas and guidance.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i Sedan
    Hello, just curious as to how you managed to clear the crash data from the airbag module..
    Im in a similar situation where my steering wheel airbag and dashboard airbag deployed. I have replaced both airbags and it appears only 1 seatbelt pre tensioner is bad.

what else do I need to do besides replace the pre tensioner in order to clear the light off my dash and make sure everything is working properly? I would appreciate the help very much, thanks

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i

Airbag & Seat Belt Reset

Hey Sebastian, I've used a very inexpensive service that cleared my crash codes and reset my seatbelts. Got'em back in 3-days total.
    Aside from any other issues mentioned above the reset service was awesome for me!

BMW SRS & BELTS.jpg