RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Intake manifold questions

My Cars
    1998 328is

Intake manifold questions

Hello everyone I once before removed my intake manifold to find if I'm missing some vaccum hoses connected them all back in and now the car won't idle as well, do I have to replace the intake gaskets Everytime I take the manifold off? I do take it off quite a bit so do I have to waste 20$ on new gaskets everytime or should I use some gasket maker on where the old gaskets were?
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Don't use any kind of goop on those gaskets. I really can't imagine why you "take it off quite a bit", though. I hate taking off the manifold, so I've found ways to do the vast majority of under-manifold jobs without removing it.

Intake gaskets really don't need to be changed, if you've recently done so. unless you used goop on them, or pinched them. And if you're removing the manifold, to look for a leak, you'll likely cause more leaks than you solve. That's why everyone here tells people to go get a smoke test.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Don't use any kind of goop on those gaskets. I really can't imagine why you "take it off quite a bit", though. I hate taking off the manifold, so I've found ways to do the vast majority of under-manifold jobs without removing it.

Intake gaskets really don't need to be changed, if you've recently done so. unless you used goop on them, or pinched them. And if you're removing the manifold, to look for a leak, you'll likely cause more leaks than you solve. That's why everyone here tells people to go get a smoke test.
    Oh ok well I'm fixing to go get new gaskets to see if she will run right and I know where all the vaccum hoses are so whenever I take the thing out I put all the hoses back on since I'm familiar with them
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    It isn't just a matter of re-connecting all of the hoses. Some of them become brittle or just plain break pretty easily. They really aren't meant to be removed a countless number of times. I think the point that Bmwdirtracer was trying to make is that the simple act of removing the intake causes leaks due to breakage, much of which isn't visible to the naked eye. We see these sorts of issues on the forums all of the time.

Get a smoke test done.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    get a smoke test done....

who the heck removes the manifold often? good grief - over 15 years and nearly, gosh, 500k between my various bmw's throughout the years and i can count on one hand the number of times i've removed an intake manifold. now, how many times have i worked blind under and around the manifold - yeah, that's a big number!
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Yes you all do have a point but I don't really remove it that often it's just that I have been doing so recently because one time I had to swap some fuel lines then change the starter then vaccum hoses but I'm done with all those so I doubt I'll be taking the manifold off again I just need to get new vaccum hoses since old ones are pretty old factory ones and I believe that's why I got vaccum leak in first place because I was messing around trying to take the manifold off and just couldn't figure out how so I messed up some hoses because they were brittle

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    get a smoke test done....

who the heck removes the manifold often? good grief - over 15 years and nearly, gosh, 500k between my various bmw's throughout the years and i can count on one hand the number of times i've removed an intake manifold. now, how many times have i worked blind under and around the manifold - yeah, that's a big number!
    Hey man do these early to late 90s beamers really last half a million miles? I thought m52 motors could go 300k miles max If you really have been maintaining it since day one I've never heard of anyone with a 328i with 300k miles I have of the m44 motors since those are bulletproof but the 6 cylinder ones not too sure I know the M50 is real nice steel motor but m52 went into aluminum and plastic valve cover
    Last edited by zohaibrose; 08-13-2017 at 12:12 AM.
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The USA M52 in the 328i/is is made of cast iron for the block, and an aluminum head, just like the M50. They are essentially the same engine. Valve cover material doesn't really matter. They have equal very good reliability as long as basic maintenance has been performed.

The M44 is about equal in reliability when maintained. In fact, there is one little plastic Y tube for coolant in the M44 that usually destroys the whole engine when it breaks and spills all your coolant.

It's all about correct repairs and maintenance.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    just to be clear - i didn't say i had a bmw at 500k individually, that's across a couple of vehicles.
    that said, i don't have any reason to believe a well maintained vehicle won't last a very long time.

i don't know about beamers - those are bikes, bimmers are cars.

strictly my opinion, but, it's all about maintenance, repair, and use.
    1. maintain the car properly with OE/OEM parts (no chinese/FLAPS junk)
    2. repair - proper repairs using quality parts (as mentioned above) without much, if any, "re-engineering" what BMW spent millions to develop.
    3. use - a nice run at highway speeds every week will do wonders for a car. better yet, join BMW CCA, meet some folks, go to the track and really learn your car and how to drive.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You don't KNOW that you have an intake leak. You're guessing. Even if you were sure that you have an intake/CCV leak, you don't have any idea where it is. If you pull off the manifold AGAIN, to replace hoses which might be rotten, then you take a good chance of causing OTHER leaks.

Get a smoke test.....anything else is a waste of time.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    You don't KNOW that you have an intake leak. You're guessing. Even if you were sure that you have an intake/CCV leak, you don't have any idea where it is. If you pull off the manifold AGAIN, to replace hoses which might be rotten, then you take a good chance of causing OTHER leaks.

Get a smoke test.....anything else is a waste of time.
    Yeah I know I wasn't gonna take the manifold off for nothing so my friend used his diy smoke machine and we found smoke coming from under the manifold.
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)