Thread: Rear upper/lower ball joint removal/installation tool rental

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe

Rear upper/lower ball joint removal/installation tool rental

So I am in the process of replacing the upper and lower rear ball joints in my '95 M3. I've made my own tool following this diy:

http://e36diy.com/replace-upper-rear...oints-e36-diy/

I've been successful enlarging the holes in the old bushings and using 1/2" threaded rod to remove/pull the old bushings out; works great! However, I am having trouble installing them. So far, I have gotten one bushing ALMOST all of the way in but in the process I have snapped three 3/8" threaded rods and one copper coupler. Shit is starting to add up in price and I don't want to go through sixteen rods and eight couplers to do this. Not sure how anyone has been successful with the 3/8 rod.

Is anyone here currently renting out the real tool or have any leads on any? I might just purchase this one from ebay but since it's shipping from the UK, it will be a few weeks before it arrives and I fear that I will end up breaking that too lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-E36-E4...4AAOSwT6pVzFW5

Anyone?

My Cars
    99 M3

Rear upper/lower ball joint removal/installation tool retnal

Grade 12 bolt and nuts, scrap the tool and figure out you own with black pipe washers and reducers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-11-2017 at 07:39 PM.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Well, my hardware stores (ace and menards) don't carry grade 12 (or even grade 8) bolts or threaded rod long enough; the longest bolts they carry are 6 inches and I need a minimum of 8". I guess Mcmaster-carr sells some grade 8 threaded rod. Might grab that if no one has the tool :/

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I just used the c clamp ball joint press from autozone's tool rental program and had zero issues pressing out and in the ball joints with my assortment of impact sockets. I had the arms out of the car though, don't know if that is a limitation.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    From what I have read the cups included in the rental tool kits do not fit correct?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
    From what I have read the cups included in the rental tool kits do not fit correct?
    They work for removing the ball joints. To install them (like rajicase) I used impact sockets. I used a little white lithium grease on the boots to prevent them from snagging and tearing on the sockets.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
    So I am in the process of replacing the upper and lower rear ball joints in my '95 M3. I've made my own tool following this diy:

http://e36diy.com/replace-upper-rear...oints-e36-diy/

I've been successful enlarging the holes in the old bushings and using 1/2" threaded rod to remove/pull the old bushings out; works great! However, I am having trouble installing them. So far, I have gotten one bushing ALMOST all of the way in but in the process I have snapped three 3/8" threaded rods and one copper coupler. Shit is starting to add up in price and I don't want to go through sixteen rods and eight couplers to do this. Not sure how anyone has been successful with the 3/8 rod.
    ⅜" rod will never work for pulling or pushing these bushings; it's just not strong enough. You need to bite the bullet and buy higher strength (120 kpsi) 12mm diameter threaded rod from McMaster-Carr, see: https://www.mcmaster.com/#95245A115. At almost $32 for a 300mm length it's kind of pricey, but you can use it with large size ¾" drive sockets to improvise pullers for any number of different bushings. And don't forget some hardened washers and high strength hex nuts to go with that. Standard hex nuts can strip their threads when used for pullers.

Neil

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'll send you my kit to use. $70 to rent it which includes the cost to ship it to you, plus an $80 deposit that will be refunded when I receive the kit back in the same condition it was sent. If I don't get it back from you within 30 days I keep the deposit. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll send you my paypal info.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    I'm going to give this a go (rent the kit from AA and use some iron threaded pipe as seen here):

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ll-Joint-Tools

Hopefully it works, if not, I will hit you up. Thanks!!!

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    While you can jury rig a way to do it, using the correct tool is easier. Yes the tool costs about $230, but... There are several guys that do rent them. (me being one).

It seems the biggest hassle is the rear brake dust shield that you have to loosen.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    While you can jury rig a way to do it, using the correct tool is easier. Yes the tool costs about $230, but... There are several guys that do rent them. (me being one).

It seems the biggest hassle is the rear brake dust shield that you have to loosen.
    Got link or photo for correct tool in action?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4

Loosen? I just bent mine out and back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Got link or photo for correct tool in action?

It's the big C-Clamp looking bushing press.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    http://www.baumtools.com/shop/rear-a...l#.WZMDclGGNPY

that and the B90 bearing tool will set you back a ton...lol
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    There are a ton of different ways to skin a cat, sure. Using the right tool for the job makes life much easier, and the job much quicker. RRSperry is the man, and rented me out his tool when I did the job (last year I think). Removing and installing the ball joints was the easiest job out of my full bushing replacement project. Probably took about 30 minutes to remove and install all 4. Maybe I am getting old in my age, but I don't screw around with trying to jerry rig tools anymore. Its just not worth the time and hassle to save a few bucks, to me at least. Especially, if you are already saving a ton by DIY. Do it right and efficiently the first time, and just enjoy the process.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    http://www.baumtools.com/shop/rear-a...l#.WZMDclGGNPY

that and the B90 bearing tool will set you back a ton...lol
    About 1/2 the price
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    There are a ton of different ways to skin a cat, sure. Using the right tool for the job makes life much easier, and the job much quicker. RRSperry is the man, and rented me out his tool when I did the job (last year I think). Removing and installing the ball joints was the easiest job out of my full bushing replacement project. Probably took about 30 minutes to remove and install all 4. Maybe I am getting old in my age, but I don't screw around with trying to jerry rig tools anymore. Its just not worth the time and hassle to save a few bucks, to me at least. Especially, if you are already saving a ton by DIY. Do it right and efficiently the first time, and just enjoy the process.
    +1

Having the tools made for the job lets you enjoy the task at hand as opposed to it being a nuisance in the way. To me that's worth the cost of renting or purchasing tools.

My Cars
    99 M3

I agree completely!!! But I like the idea of the larger drive thread of the C-clamp tool. What is that tool?

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    I agree. After doing the trailing arm bushings in my old VW GTI with several years ago with a make-shift-diy tool I realized that the "proper" tool is worth it. That being said, I wanted to get the actual tool for these ball joints but I couldn't find any sources to rent them from before deciding to just try the DIY tool. I rented out the advanced auto kit this morning and it seems that it should work. We will see tomorrow

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    I used a socket and a big hammer and massaged them in

()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3 Coupe
    Meant to post this last month. I ended up getting the bushings installed with the Advanced Auto kit; worked like a charm. However, removal with the kit was not so simple. The old style lower bushing pressed out fine with it, but the advanced auto tool just pushed the inner pieces of the updated (upper) ball joint apart. I ended up having to resort to my make shift copper fitting tool. The make shift tool worked perfectly for removal though it can get a little scary. The centers of the bushings need to be drilled out in-order to fit the 3/8 rod and it takes quite of work to get the bushings to start moving; right when you feel like one more twist of the nut is going to blow your contraption up, the bushing comes free.

To help with removal I had to use a large washer (got it at Ace hardware) to put over the new ball joint and help distribute the weight and prevent slippage of my reducers. Using the washer meant that I didn't have to fuss with having it 100% aligned since the copper reducer is almost exactly the same size as the ball joint and can easily slip.

For installation, all I bought was an iron pipe cap/plug thing from my local Menards. Fit perfectly around the ball joint and gave the Advance auto kit parts something to press on.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/pYhhb
    Last edited by ewrjontan; 09-17-2017 at 02:25 PM.