Thread: Is there a consensus on the SULEV extended warranty?

My Cars
    2013 F150 Ecoboost

Is there a consensus on the SULEV extended warranty?

I have searched and read some posts concerning the extended 15/150K SULEV emissions warranty. Is there a real definitive answer on what it covers, where and when? Some things I have read and some questions I have on this are:

- Some dealers may honor it no matter where the car is registered as long as it was originally registered in a SULEV emissions state like CA?
    - Are all the items on the list are covered up to the 15/150, or are they only covered up to then if it wont pass emissions testing?
    - The extended warranty was for whomever owned the car and no matter where it was at up until 2011 when BMW changed that in the manual?

I am going to look at purchasing a 2008 328i with 61k miles this weekend. It would be nice to know if I could get some of the more common parts that fail replaced under this, and also knowing if some of the more expensive parts like the radiator and fuel tank are covered?

Thank you

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SedonaSteve View Post
    I have searched and read some posts concerning the extended 15/150K SULEV emissions warranty. Is there a real definitive answer on what it covers, where and when? Some things I have read and some questions I have on this are:

- Some dealers may honor it no matter where the car is registered as long as it was originally registered in a SULEV emissions state like CA?
    - Are all the items on the list are covered up to the 15/150, or are they only covered up to then if it wont pass emissions testing?
    - The extended warranty was for whomever owned the car and no matter where it was at up until 2011 when BMW changed that in the manual?

I am going to look at purchasing a 2008 328i with 61k miles this weekend. It would be nice to know if I could get some of the more common parts that fail replaced under this, and also knowing if some of the more expensive parts like the radiator and fuel tank are covered?

Thank you
    That's a pretty interesting question with an interesting answer. If the car was originally sold in an SULEV state (California, New York, Maine,
    Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Oregon and Washington State) then the car has the SULEV compliant n51 engine rather than the more common n52. Running the vin on etkbmw.com or bmwvin.com will tell you which engine it has.
    It sounds like only SULEV cars currently registered in SULEV states are covered by the warranty (they only warranty things in the states where they are legally compelled to). There is also some debate on exactly which parts are covered. One big issue is that most of the dealers aren't even aware of the whole SULEV warranty thing, so unless you specifically bring it up, they will likely hand you a bill. I would only really expect the warranty to apply in the states listed above, though a few compassionate dealerships elsewhere might honor the warranty. So in short, there isn't really a definitive answer, nor is there any consistency between dealers.

My Cars
    2013 F150 Ecoboost

My Cars
    We are not a SULEV state (Georgia) but we honor the SULEV warranty and BMW pays the warranty claims without issue.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check engine light faults, not wear and tear parts like intake airboots

My Cars
    2011 328xi N51 SULEV
    Can anyone recommend an “owner friendly” dealer in Ga for SULEV warranty work? 2011 328xi 110k miles.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by 3seriesSulevGA View Post
    Can anyone recommend an “owner friendly” dealer in Ga for SULEV warranty work? 2011 328xi 110k miles.
    My strategy would be to go to the dealership in my town, then contact BMWNA if you do not get the satisfaction you think is appropriate.

The real question here is, what is the SULEV coverage? SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) should easily cover the fuel storage and delivery systems, and arguably would extend to the cooling system and perhaps oil leaks. The point of SULEV is that the federal government gives incentives to the automakers to produce these cars in an effort to reduce overall emissions. The incentives given should cover the warranty claims.

Without regard to the state where the car was first sold, the N51 SULEV engine had some level of incentive given to get the car onto the road and make the environment cleaner for all of us, and the warranty should carry. BMWNA (BMW North America) has the information on this.