Thread: Mismatched Tires for DE (Rain)?

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i

Mismatched Tires for DE (Rain)?

I run NT01's for time trial but my DE/rain setup is square AD08R's. Last month I recently got a flat on my rear right AD08 and all 4 had even tread at around 5-6/32. Ultimately wanted to wear these all down so I can try a different tire next season. Issue is been searching for weeks and have yet to find 4th used AD08.

Buying a single new doesn't make sense so it's either buy a new pair of Yoko's or running a different brand (but comparable in performance) tire in the rears. For example finding a used pair of Star Specs and R-S3/4 isn't as difficult and tread depth would likely match what I have now.

Does anyone see any issues with running mismatched tires?
    Last edited by Dubbedown; 08-16-2017 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    I dunno if it makes financial sense, but you could buy one new AD08R and have the tread shaved to match. Tirerack will shave tires if you don't have a good performance tire place nearby.

My Cars
    330i, 323i
    I appreciate your concern. I think I disagree with the premise. Even/equal tread depth is based on the assumption that you want all 4 wheels rotating at the same rate on the straights? Question to you: Why do you care?

I'd bet a dollar that your car is on the push side of balance. If you had a pair of tires (or just one) with differing grip magnitude, you've got an easy way to tune balance. Move the sticky one(s) to the end or side that runs out of traction first.
    none

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Don't run mismatched tires, especially in the wet. Sell the oddballs and get a proper set.

My Cars
    70's p-cars
    ^This

Yes there are issues running mismatched tires. Rubber compound is different, construction is different, height, width, sidewall construction, age, wear characteristics, traction when hot, ...

When you go hard on the brakes at the end of the longest straight, you'll find out right away what the differences are.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    I have done it with an E36 in the wet for DE (as in, it's actually raining, not just matte wet track) and I would do it again before I'd toss $700 worth of tire.

I totally understand the sentiments against doing different tires at each end of the car. I'm giving up some balance and stability by doing it.

I have not gone nuts with it. For instance, I haven't paired up a relatively firm tire like an AD08 with an RE-71. But OP is already tuned into that issue.

My wet driving style is all about feeling how much grip I have at that point in those conditions, so I'm not making any assumptions what will happen when I get on the brakes, turn in, or throttle up after apex. I know the other posters do so as well and I am sure they would make a good job of it, if they gave it a try and were willing to let the lap times slide a bit for the day.

I'm guessing OP is driving something in the 3500#/400+HP range, and I would take an extra measure of care in light of that.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.