Thread: E38 Alarm and seats

My Cars
    1997 BMW 728i

E38 Alarm and seats

I have just bought a 1997 Bmw 728i. German built, sold to Singapore then imported used to New Zealand

The car is great, but I am checking everything and have issues with alarm and seats that I hope you can help with. I have searched forums without finding any answer

Issue 1. The seat(comfort seat) shoulder support buttons do nothing on either the driver or passenger side. All other seat functions work (except lumbar support, I can hear pump working but assume there is a leak somewhere) . Is there a specific fuse for these?

Issue 2. The car alarm does nothing. The remote works to lock/unlock. When locked the dash top alarm indicator in on permanently, it does not flash and there is no audible beep or flashing of indicators. Have looked for a bonnet closed sensor, but cannot find any.

Any suggestions?

My Cars
    E38(750i,740i) E39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by raggen View Post
    I have just bought a 1997 Bmw 728i. German built, sold to Singapore then imported used to New Zealand

The car is great, but I am checking everything and have issues with alarm and seats that I hope you can help with. I have searched forums without finding any answer

Issue 1. The seat(comfort seat) shoulder support buttons do nothing on either the driver or passenger side. All other seat functions work (except lumbar support, I can hear pump working but assume there is a leak somewhere) . Is there a specific fuse for these?

Issue 2. The car alarm does nothing. The remote works to lock/unlock. When locked the dash top alarm indicator in on permanently, it does not flash and there is no audible beep or flashing of indicators. Have looked for a bonnet closed sensor, but cannot find any.

Any suggestions?

i have the same problem on my 94’ E38 740i, the comfort shoulder support switch does nothing and I’m literally stuck in Tupac’s seat position. All other seat functions work on both sides, only the horizontal shoulder support comfort switch is not working on the drivers side, the most annoying fault any E38/E39 can have as it makes it ridiculously UNcomfortable to drive. I have tried cleaning everything and checking all wires are secure but nothing, is there a fuse that controls this? I was going to swap the switches over from the passenger side but unsure on how to wire the switch. Please let me know how you fixed your comfort seat ‘

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved to E38 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    Put your VIN into a decoder to see if comfort seats were indeed part of the original spec. BMW had a habit of only installing wiring to meet the factory spec, so you have to change the seat harness if seats have been retro fitted with additional functions.