Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Best Outdoors Car Cover?

My Cars
    1995 318i; 1998 323is

Best Outdoors Car Cover?

I have to park curbside in front of my house on a street with a lot of work hours traffic going to and from warehouse and industrial businesses. Under street trees. I'm not a daily driver -- semi-retired -- and the car sits for days at a time getting covered in dust and tree droppings. And bird droppings. And bug droppings. Followed by a light rain to make sure it's cemented in place.

By the time I need to drive somewhere I can barely see the windshield...or out of it! I can't afford a car wash every time just to be able to use the car (not to mention the waste of time!), so I want to get a car cover. I'm willing to pay in the $100 range for something that sheds water and won't get sweaty and damp underneath. I haven't looked online yet. Does anyone have a good car cover they can recommend?

Many thanks!

Jim Barnas
    '95 318i; '98 323is

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    For $100 you're not going to find anything that fits your requirements. I have two cars that sit outside always that I keep covered and two that are in the garage that I keep covered. I've used both brands and several different covers over the last decade or so. The Covercraft Noah is what most BMW branded covers are. They are decent, but they hold dust if they are outside long term and will run you over $225 on Autoanything. The Coverking version, Coverbond 4 is a few dollars less. You'd think you could just wash these and get rid of the dust, but the large modern washers just don't agitate enough. The older washers with the cone agitators just eat them alive.

The Covercraft Reflec'tect is a little cheaper and does a much better job at keeping the dust off the car, but the custom fit isn't nearly as snug as the others but it is a touch cheaper. I prefer this one on the cars that sit outside. I also have a Covercraft Sunbrella which is an expensive all weather cover, but you won't have to replace it every three years like the others. Living in SoCal the sun is brutal on these covers. The warranty replacement is pretty good, but you only get warranty period. For instance for a four year warranty if you replace at three years your warranty doesn't start over, it ends at four years from your original purchase. I'm just about due for a replacement for the truck and I'm going to try the Covercraft Ultratect this time around.
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    1995 318i; 1998 323is
    Thank you for that rundown! And for the price reality check -- I'll recalibrate. Not sure which I'll go with but that gives me some comparisons. Not as much sun here in Portland OR but it still usually bakes a few weeks out of the year.
    (It took a minute for your graphic grill to come into focus -- Nice!) Thanks again!

-jim