Thread: Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car!

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan

Super-exciting news: I just got a 240Z race car!

I'm pretty excited
    Alright, that's an understatement.

I got it not only as an awesome new car to have at the shop and drive, but hopefully as a way for more people to try out vintage racing! Since the 240Z is such a durable and friendly platform, I'm toying with the idea of using this car for people who:
    A) Are new to the sport and want to know what it's like on track. I'm going to install a second seat and harness so I can take people on track and give them a taste of vintage racing!
    B) Want to get a license but don't have a car. This car would be a great way for someone to get their vintage racing license without having to buy a car first. As a bonus, they can use the experience to see what they would and wouldn't like in the car they end up with!
    C) Want to race, but don't have a car. This car could be used as a rental so people can see what a weekend of vintage racing is like without the pressure of bringing a car to the track. This could also work for someone whose primary car is out of service for whatever reason.

It's hopefully also a great way to show people we can work on things other than British cars (as much as we love them).

No matter what, I absolutely can't wait to get back to the shop and start working on it! It's already race-ready but I have some ideas for further improvement
    I'm really looking forward to this!
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

great great car....chassis......value.......ez to work on.......etc etc etc.....

very cool.........

maybe Ill get a vintage license in that car.

current engine spec?......hp?......220 hp ish?...2000 lbs?

hope dad is good
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 08-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    That's a sweet car. Congrats!

My Cars
    yes
    That's a GREAT car!!! I had a 76 280Z in high school. Lot's of fun with that one!! Good luck with it!

Don

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    great great car....chassis......value.......ez to work on.......etc etc etc.....

very cool.........

maybe Ill get a vintage license in that car.

current engine spec?......hp?......220 hp ish?...2000 lbs?

hope dad is good
    That sounds like a plan The car has 180whp. It has a 2.4 block with the L88 head. Steel rods, forged pistons, 12.5:1 compression, Isky valve springs, some sort of plasma-treated cam...I still have to read all the paperwork. I'm going to put it on the scales next week sometime, but the previous owner estimated 2300lbs. I know I can shave a fair bit of that off pretty quickly by removing things like the stock wiring harness, wiper assembly, huge battery, giant fuel pump and filter, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    That's a sweet car. Congrats!
    Thanks, I'm really stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by dcvee View Post
    That's a GREAT car!!! I had a 76 280Z in high school. Lot's of fun with that one!! Good luck with it!

Don
    That's awesome, thanks Don!

My Cars
    70's p-cars
    That is a sweet car. With the DCOEs, the Z *howls* above 6k. See you at the track!!!

My Cars
    E46 325ci, E34 535IS
    Awesome. I remember cruising around with my Mum back in the early 80's in her 240z. A large part of why I love cars now.
    -----------------------------------------------
    My E34 Race Car Build

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by emoore924 View Post
    That is a sweet car. With the DCOEs, the Z *howls* above 6k. See you at the track!!!
    The sound is one of the best things about these cars! I really can't wait to hear it at full tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftit View Post
    Awesome. I remember cruising around with my Mum back in the early 80's in her 240z. A large part of why I love cars now.
    That's a great story! I'm already finding out that like the Cortina, the Z cars seem to have a huge amount of good week and stories attracted to them. It's great to hear and hopefully it'll draw some new people into the sport!

My Cars
    E46 325ci, E34 535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    The sound is one of the best things about these cars! I really can't wait to hear it at full tilt.

That's a great story! I'm already finding out that like the Cortina, the Z cars seem to have a huge amount of good week and stories attracted to them. It's great to hear and hopefully it'll draw some new people into the sport!
    Growing up in one the shape stuck with me and influenced the vehicles I loved. I have owned many 180SX and 200SX's (these are the Jap and NZ version of the 240SX but turbo charged). These cars were heavily influenced by the 240Z obviously. That long bonnet and rear hatch do it for me. I met my significant other thanks to this taste. Mine were sold to fund my BMW racing but she still has hers. If I give up the racing I will be after a 240Z as a weekend car. Which will sit next to a nice 2002.

Love the Cortina BTW. There is a couple of them racing in New Zealand (where i'm from).
    -----------------------------------------------
    My E34 Race Car Build

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I've been having some fun coming up with potential liveries for the Datsun, and I'd like to get some opinions! Which do you think looks best? Any other ideas I should try? The colors came out a bit funky for some reason, but it's the same color scheme the Ginetta uses:

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I like 'Type 1' the best. It looks a bit more professional and clean. When full panels are painted a contrasting color, it says 'crashed and repaired' to me. lol.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    I like 'Type 1' the best. It looks a bit more professional and clean. When full panels are painted a contrasting color, it says 'crashed and repaired' to me. lol.
    Haha, that's a fair point! Type 1 is my favorite as well. Interestingly, the Datsun guys on Facebook are hugely in favor of the Type 3 livery. I think it has to do with its resemblance to the BRE scheme:

My Cars
    yes
    Type I. My old 76 280Z was midnight blue with silver louvers on the back window and aluminum mags. Hand polished baby...no clear coat BS back then!!! Being a big muscle car guy, I was really impressed with the smoothness and speed of the Z. Slowed downed one night in the city to pick up a girl hitchhiking in the pouring rain and some guy slammed the back of it....bad. He was cool about it tho..said he was looking at the girl!!! Oh well. Car was fixed better than new and enjoyed the hell out of it for many years after that.

Keep us posted on this one...I'd LOVE to see a video of it on-track.

Don

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvee View Post
    Type I. My old 76 280Z was midnight blue with silver louvers on the back window and aluminum mags. Hand polished baby...no clear coat BS back then!!! Being a big muscle car guy, I was really impressed with the smoothness and speed of the Z. Slowed downed one night in the city to pick up a girl hitchhiking in the pouring rain and some guy slammed the back of it....bad. He was cool about it tho..said he was looking at the girl!!! Oh well. Car was fixed better than new and enjoyed the hell out of it for many years after that.

Keep us posted on this one...I'd LOVE to see a video of it on-track.

Don
    That's a cool story, Don! I'll be getting video for sure

My Cars
    17 F250 12 Merc C250
    Type 3 vote here. Project that never got finished.
    Chris Leone
    chrisleonemotorsports.com
    roll cages, repairs and racecar fabrication
    1984 318i now 325is
    1994 325is STU racecar
    1988 325is donor

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by XXLBIMMER View Post
    Type 3 vote here. Project that never got finished.
    Oh dang, that thing looks like it'd be pretty serious! Do you still have it?

My Cars
    17 F250 12 Merc C250
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    Oh dang, that thing looks like it'd be pretty serious! Do you still have it?
    No, it got sold about 6 years ago. along with the Jerico 5 speed w/custom bell housing, the 48 MM Mikunis, custom arms etc etc. Sad days for sure.
    Chris Leone
    chrisleonemotorsports.com
    roll cages, repairs and racecar fabrication
    1984 318i now 325is
    1994 325is STU racecar
    1988 325is donor

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I tallied up the whopping 169 votes I received in the livery poll, and here are the final scores!

Type 1: 73 votes
    Type 2: 27 votes
    Type 3: 58 votes
    Type 4: 11 votes

These are some designs I and various fans came up with in the meantime! If you have any opinions of these or any other ideas, feel free to share!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Just a tweak, but what about:

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I'll add it to the list!