Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: What head unit has all these features

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    The car is a 2004 330 vert without factory NAV. Max budget is $700 prefer $300-400

Ive been searching for a new head unit that has all the bells and whistles. Sounds simple but every time I search I get a million options from GROM to Dynavin. My brain is on overload. My car is setup with factory BT but it has limitations so I replaced the stock head unit with an old Dynavin that has NAV but still lacks some features.

I never used or needed navigation but I'm moving to a new part of the country so I'll want satellite navigation built in. I don't want a Garmin clogging up my dash. Idon't need a CD/DVD player. If I get all the features I want I don't need aux port and probably don't need usb port. I don't use a separate iPod. Just my phone.

I really dislike all those new units with the huge ugly round knob sticking out. Please don't say E o n o n.

MUST HAVE: nav, BT streaming audio from my cell phone, integrate with my steering wheel controls, SD card slot, download my phone book to the head unit including names

REALLY WANT: voice command dialing, caller ID, integrate with my factory microphone, double din that requires no dash modifications, internet capable, as close to stock appearance as possible.

I'm open to lots of options if something like a retrofit to factory nav paired with a GROM will get me what I want. It doesn't have to be the newest technology.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 08-09-2017 at 09:23 AM.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You do have a couple of high quality and reputable brands head units to choose from!.....

Alpine iLX-700 (model number is iLX-007 in the USA)

Parrot Asteroid Smart

The only aspect you've mentioned each of these won't do is use the OEM microphone, which isn't much of a loss at all. The Parrot Smart comes with its own mic and I think the Alpine iLX-007 does too. Both of these units are 'shallow depth' so you won't have to modify the car's cabin heater box and pipes. Both of these units will be in your price range for US Dollars, the Alpine you may need to look around a bit more as I think it's 'around' that $700 level for recommended retail pricing. Each has iPod control, but if you are going to use your phone, then you'll not be able to control that, so do watch out if a cop sees you holding your phone when choosing tracks/changing radio stations etc.

The downsides are that you won't get close to oem looks and they don't connect to the cars OBC.

There's more downsides to the retrofit of the oem modules. It's a modular setup so each module has multiple points of failure and as they're getting to be around 11-16 years old, they fail more often nowadays. The monitor for instance has the TFT panel itself fail with missing or stuck pixels and/or a line of pixels that are out, the backlight can fail and also the internal ribbon cable where the face flips down/up and the mechanical gears can fail as well. The amplifier module has the issue of dry solder joints and failure of one or more of the sound channels. The GPS computer can have the drive mechanism fail and/or the internal electronics and so forth. All these are quite expensive to fix/repair so it's the most expensive option in the long run, so way past your budget. If you then want to add to it for functionality , then it's more spend and then after that, if you want to improve the sound quality,it's yet more spend. If you buy the (additional cost) OEM bluetooth module, you'll not get audio streaming but you will get your phone book displayed. The oem BT modules are old, so iphones currently have the best chance of full compatibility, Android can be hit and miss. Some newer phones as they come out 'might' not work with the old OEM modules. Advantages are you get 100% oem looks, full access to the OBC.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Great feedback thanks. The Alpine looks like the better of the 2 units. Wireless Carplay is a really nice feature. The more research I do the more I realize what I really want is to transplant my iPhone into the dash. Carplay looks like it will do that.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    After doing some research and visiting my local Best Buy store I settled on the Sony XAV-AX100. It's not OEM looks but it offers some really nice features. CarPlay and Android Auto built in just in case I decide to switch from my iPhone. After all the adapters and install pieces it will run about $450. Here's a great review.

https://youtu.be/YSCn5BWnCRA