Thread: Dropped the car while jacking it up

My Cars
    E46 320Ci

Dropped the car while jacking it up

I decided to get my wheels repainted and had to remove all 4 wheels.
    I pulled the handbrake before jacking up the front of the car, and just before I could get the jackstands under the front lifting points the rear wheels slipped off and the car dropped down.
    What a horrible sight.
    Before jacking up the car I had loosen and removed all bolts so I could get the wheels easy off.
    Lesson learned. I shouldn't have removed the bolts - only loosen them then this would never have happened.

IMG_5492.jpg IMG_5493.jpg

The wheels seems okay, only a few scratches and a small dent from the brakes when the car dropped.
    The rear end of the car was sitting on the brakes inside of the wheel, the right rear wheel got stuck inside the fender and the left rear wheel stood on the fender.

I need to know what I should check - what could have been damaged ?
    Last edited by Vifa; 08-11-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Vifa

Stable:
    1948 | Chrysler New Yorker Club Coupe
    1949 | Dodge Wayfarer Business Coupe
    1979 | VW 1303 Cabriolet
    1992 | Porsche 911 Turbo
    2000 | BMW 330Ci Coupe
    2001 | BMW 320Ci Cabriolet
    2007 | BMW X3 3.0D

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    I just want to confirm what I read: You removed the lug bolts from both rear wheels while the car was still on the ground?

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Because: stanceworks

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Because: stanceworks
    No not really. Give the guy a sign

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    "But before I frantically jack it up to remove the weight of car from the wheel arches, let me take a few pics."

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Doesn't seem to be any noticeable damage,
    Check brake lines, sensor wiring for damage,
    otherwise I think your good.

My Cars
    1986 325e
    Learning can be hard at times. Kudos for coming on here and admitting to this. Besides what MIKYZZ4 said, I think you are good.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Agreed....We live..we learn.....but please learn from here too. Also, you mentioned 'wheel repainting'....What are you considering?...Are you aware about the original alloy and silver wheel finishes? I have some insight you may want to know...

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    If you're gonna paint your wheels, you might try plastidip. If you repaint, I believe you'll have to strip the clear coat from the wheels. The plastidip will go on right on top of it. Just make sure to put it on thick enough, otherwise, getting it off can be a PITA.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    TonyAngel...While I have never recoated alloy wheels, I'm in the dark, I do recommend for anyone to use a 'urethane' color paint but also because of the aluminum, depending on only exposed aluminum....from sanding...that critical is an aluminum primer treatment also called an 'alodine' etching treatment prior to finish painting. I've never applied this method to alloy car wheels but have coated similar under contract with the US Navy...at Annapolis. I've applied this tech to 'Edson' marine applications with 100% success. Heat-treatment for applied urethane coatings, now more commonly referred as "PowderCoat" also have an array of implementation depending on their uses.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    For wheels, powder coating is the preferred modern method of painting,
    more durable than previous conventional methods.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Yep, powder coating is definitely the way to go, if you're in for the expense and are looking to make a permanent change; but plastidip is cheap, not permanent and kinda fun to play around with.

I wonder if you can anodize a wheel.

My Cars
    E46 320Ci
    Hi all,

First, thanks for all the positive feedback
    I felt terrible writing the post the other day, I fell embrassed that this could happen - and really don't know if I can ever forgive myself

This is the first time I have removed a wheel and did some reading to make sure where to place the jack and the jack stands. I never imagined the wheels could drop off the hub.
    This is learning by doing. It was a nightmare. After the rear wheels dropped off I immediatly secured the front wheels, and had to figure out how to prevent any further damage to the rear. I was litterally paralyzed. The rear was suddenly to low to get my jack under the rear centre point. It was hell. I didn't know what to do. Luckily I found another jack, and at last I managed to get the wheels safely off.

I really hope nobody will ever do the same as me.

[Eaglesail] I don't know much about the original finishes ?.. I already delivered the wheels for painting, I think they will be grinded where necessarry and then sanded - they will get a powdercoating .. I can post a picture when I have fitted the wheels on the car again (hopefully without any stupid mistakes this time)
    Vifa

Stable:
    1948 | Chrysler New Yorker Club Coupe
    1949 | Dodge Wayfarer Business Coupe
    1979 | VW 1303 Cabriolet
    1992 | Porsche 911 Turbo
    2000 | BMW 330Ci Coupe
    2001 | BMW 320Ci Cabriolet
    2007 | BMW X3 3.0D

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Oh, ok. You're not doing the wheels yourself. Definitely post some pics, but start a new thread so that we don't miss it. I like doing things myself and have been thinking about doing my wheels too. I know that I want them black and will not change my mind about that. At 52, I'm pretty conservative. I would, however, like to try to do it myself.

How much are they charging you to do the powder coating?

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Well you're not the first, although removing the bolts... well.. leaving the car supported only by the hub-centric wheels... no comment.

I jacked up mine using my trusty trolley jack, on the correct point on the side, and perhaps because it was missing the rubber jack point, it slipped off and scarred the plastic rocker trim. Well, y'know, sh*t happens and we learn from it. Not the end of the world. Buy each other a beer if you're in Hawaii.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    hopefully E46 M3
    This is a stupid question but how do I post pictures in a thread I started?