Thread: DIY rod bearing change. Anyone in Charlotte with experience?

My Cars
    2008 m3

DIY rod bearing change. Anyone in Charlotte with experience?

I am hoping to find a lift/shop I can borrow one weekend this August or September to do the bearing change. I know this is probably a stretch but if anyone else has been thinking about doing it themselves we could work together on my car and then you would have a better idea of what is involved for yourself. If you are not interested in working with me I would be able to pay a reasonable amount for your time (however, not 1000 that a shop would charge for labor).

I am finishing my mechanical engineering degree on August 10th. I have done work on engines and been in a shop plenty of times. I am only mentioning this because if I was you I would be concerned of my competence around your equipment. I have my own tools I would just need a lift and maybe a random socket/extension. I am clean and would leave with everything exactly as I found it.

If I am posting in the wrong place please let me know. If you are willing to help my number is 919-636-2585.
    Thanks for reading,
    Wesley

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    You might want to ask in the regional sub-forum that covers your area.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you cannot find a lift, a few have done it on jackstands. 6 ton would be preferable for the added height if you have or can borrow two jacks that can get the car up higher (maybe with blocks on the lifting pads). You can find a great DIY by SYT_Shadow on M3post. I did mine in 2014 and helped someone else do them in 2015, but we used my lift. I used stock bolts, which require a lengthy torque sequence, and we used ARPs on the next car. The ARPs are much easier due to the simple torquing.

My Cars
    2008 m3
    Awesome, Thanks for the tips! Ill post in charlotte sub-forum as well but also nice to know I can just use jack stands! Ill check out that DIY thanks pbonsalb!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I don't think it would be much fun on jack stands but it is doable. The oil drips are no fun and it will be harder to avoid them when on your back. I recommend opening things up the night before and letting it drip overnight. Then change the bearings and put it back fogether.

My Cars
    No thx Not a Pixar Fan
    What does the hardware cost? Labor is only $1000? Is it the kind of thing a intelligent person that lacks wrenching experience but can follow instructions and use a tool can do? I can typically accomplish anything so long as adequate instructions exist with photos/videos, I only have trouble when text based instructions are used and refer to a technical component that I’m not familiar with and the woefully inadequate illustration basically points to a vacuum hose with an arrow but it’s a closeup so you have no idea where/which line it is.

Sigh