Thread: 1995 E38 - Onboard Monitor not working, NAV model.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i

1995 E38 - Onboard Monitor not working, NAV model.

Hey All,

Recently imported an E38. I was never told that the Nav / 4:3 display was not working. The only thing that works is the backlight when I turn the lights on. Its been many years since I last owned an E38 and am still trying to wrap my head around the different parts and acronyms.having been using the following http://www.e38.org/onboardmonitor.pdf to help me start troubleshooting.

First thing to note is that this car did have the original battery and I replaced it since the battery was clearly not holding charge. Secondly, I took it to the shop to read the codes, and they told me that the DME is having problems communicating with the Instrument Cluster.

Other than buying replacement parts, I really do not no where to start. I have taken a multi meter to ensure power lead to the radio (was getting around 10v with bad battery , after replacing, reading 12v+). When I turn the lights on, the button backlights do come on the display. The navigation unit itself is able to eject a CD. I have scoured a few posts and forums to see where to start troubleshooting but not really sure. Alternatively, I am willing to rip out the entire system and install an aftermarket unit, also considering doing the Mki to Mkiv upgrade (leaning towards this option for the factory look), but it would be nice to diagnose the current issue before proceeding.

Thanks!

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Your nav unit is probably burnt. It doesn't like to be unpowered without being in a sleep mode

- - - Updated - - -

And I never saw '95 with nav, I know it was available as an option since day one but it was more useless then useful back in that days
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i
    To be honest, I actually thought it wasn't available on the '95

Is there a way to test if the Nav is burnt? Without replacing the unit itself?

In this case, it sounds as if I am already willing to do the MKi to Mk4 upgrade, I'm better off doing that. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any other underlying issues before going head-on with the Mk4 upgrade.

My Cars
    Z3 M, M3, 540iTa, x5 35d
    NAV unit in the trunk is gone.
    Current >2002 BMW M Roadster Hellrot red 21k miles, CAT/EGRdeleted (Epic Motorsports custom tune), 1999 BMW M3 Estoril Blue 36k miles, 1999 BMW 540 iTa Touring Sport package 27k miles, 2012 BMW X5 35d Malone stage 2 custom tune, deleted, 109K miles

Retired > 1980 BMW 323i Alpine 160+K km, 1997 BMW 740i at 83K Miles, 1998 BMW 323IS at 164K Miles, 1994 BMW 325IC at 68K Miles, 1979 Mercedes 450SL at 91K Miles, 1990 Mercedes 300CE at 64K Miles,
    1998 BMW 750IL at 84K Miles Black, 2000 BMW 750IL Individual Highline 81K Miles Orinoco Metallic, 2000 BMW 528IT 58K Miles Black, 2000 BMW 740i Sport 124K Titanium Silver, 2012 Chevrolet Volt 59K Miles, 2003 BMW 540i M Sport 89K miles

My Cars
    Z3 M, M3, 540iTa, x5 35d
    You can get on eBay mk4 DVD version unit, or at your local BMW recycling shop, no coding is needed and it's direct plug and play. I did this on my 1998 750IL after my unit went caput. The screen went dark one day. It looked like working unit green lights would iluminate and cd map disk would go in and out when buttons pushed. I even did not try to troubleshoot old unit just went ahead and purchased another newer DVD GPS mk4 unit, installed and all was good again and no I even have split monitor option. I paid $300 two years ago, now I can see they are in $200's price range.
    Current >2002 BMW M Roadster Hellrot red 21k miles, CAT/EGRdeleted (Epic Motorsports custom tune), 1999 BMW M3 Estoril Blue 36k miles, 1999 BMW 540 iTa Touring Sport package 27k miles, 2012 BMW X5 35d Malone stage 2 custom tune, deleted, 109K miles

Retired > 1980 BMW 323i Alpine 160+K km, 1997 BMW 740i at 83K Miles, 1998 BMW 323IS at 164K Miles, 1994 BMW 325IC at 68K Miles, 1979 Mercedes 450SL at 91K Miles, 1990 Mercedes 300CE at 64K Miles,
    1998 BMW 750IL at 84K Miles Black, 2000 BMW 750IL Individual Highline 81K Miles Orinoco Metallic, 2000 BMW 528IT 58K Miles Black, 2000 BMW 740i Sport 124K Titanium Silver, 2012 Chevrolet Volt 59K Miles, 2003 BMW 540i M Sport 89K miles

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i
    Ok. I am looking for one on ebay now. Split screen= 4:3? Because my next question is if I will need a different harness to connect my old plugs to the new mk4 nav unit? Looking at this post http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/72969 it looks I would need "61.12-6 907 840 Navigation Connecting Lead Harness for MKIII & MKIV" ? Or am I not following?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i
    Nevermind! Found the following post that seems to clear up information regarding the various navigation upgrade options. http://e39source.com/archives/797

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Broken record time again here:

Another viable option is getting rid of the nav unit altogether, and replacing it with a video module. The only con is you lose nav. Not really a problem, since even the MKIV nav is pitiful compared to a modern GPS or even cell phone.

Pros: Video module doesn't seem to constantly burn out (like the nav units). They cost less. They plug right in. Keeps stock appearance of dash, it will look exactly the same as before, just no nav. You can add in a video input with a bit of wiring (DVD or TV tuner.) No worrying about when your expensive nav unit will crap out.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvGeorge View Post
    Broken record time again here:

Another viable option is getting rid of the nav unit altogether, and replacing it with a video module. The only con is you lose nav. Not really a problem, since even the MKIV nav is pitiful compared to a modern GPS or even cell phone.

Pros: Video module doesn't seem to constantly burn out (like the nav units). They cost less. They plug right in. Keeps stock appearance of dash, it will look exactly the same as before, just no nav. You can add in a video input with a bit of wiring (DVD or TV tuner.) No worrying about when your expensive nav unit will crap out.
    Hey George, thanks for the advice, I have a replacement video module on the way, I didn't know that I could bypass the nav. My understanding is that my Nav is the the possible failure point for my Display not working (this is what I am trying to troubleshoot), so at this point, I don't know if my Display is functional at all —that being said, would I need a different harness or a pigtail from a non-nav model to make that happen or re-wiring of the current?

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrod1nari View Post
    Hey George, thanks for the advice, I have a replacement video module on the way, I didn't know that I could bypass the nav. My understanding is that my Nav is the the possible failure point for my Display not working (this is what I am trying to troubleshoot), so at this point, I don't know if my Display is functional at all —that being said, would I need a different harness or a pigtail from a non-nav model to make that happen or re-wiring of the current?
    It plugs right in, just unplug the blue plug from the back of the nav unit and plug it into the blue connector on the video module. Should fire right up.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i
    Looks like I have more complications than I thought. The car is a Japan import (LHD), so the MK1 has a single 20 pin black connector. I found an article of converting Japanese system to European and applied to my vehicle. Unfortunately, it looks like this was indeed a retrofit, I found a harness between my nav and video module that didnt align with the instructions in the jap to euro conversion (61128381219 - Mk1 to Mk3 retrofit), and with the part number scratched off the MK1 (or at least I thought it was) I am unable to identify the nav unit (this one does not even have a light on it), coupled with the fact that the jap Video module should only have one connector as well (and mine didn't) there's a lot of headscratching at this point as its a retrofit. I have a new Mk3 nav and a video module, but at this point I think with the effort its going to take to figure out the wiring, I might as well rip out the whole system and throw in en E39 aftermarket deck I have in my shed and explore the HVAC modification. Really didn't want to loose my steering wheel controls or perform any physical mods, but if this is going to be my last E38 (likely because this is the second e38 that I have had to deal with audio, and its just not fun.) I cannot determine point of failure with current system, which makes it tough to install or upgrade system with oem parts such as one would in an MK1 to Mk4. I might as well consider an aftermarket install as much as I have tried to avoid it. only other choice is to purchase a new display as well and wire the new nav, video mod and display together, but if something else is funky with the retrofit, it will be tough to determine.

Thanks for the advice though.
    Last edited by xtrod1nari; 08-17-2017 at 01:34 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i
    Managed to resolve this issue —I replaced both the video module and the the 4:3 screen and I managed to see the display for the first time, unfortunately the replacement screen has lines going through it, but at least I now have the option to retain the factory look. At this point I have not established failure point, however:
    -Retrofit that came with vehicle had a first gen Japanese Nav, Video Module and 4:3 screen that didnt work, only backlight on buttons when vehicle lights were turned on. No sound from speakers either.
    -Bypassed the Navigation, still no response
    - Replaced the video module with a European Video module from a 2000 donor, still no response (it was my understanding that all screens should be compatible with all video modules regardless of region.
    -Replaced the 4:3 Japanese monitor with 4:3 US Monitor, this did the trick!

I am assuming in my case that one of the Japanese gear was defective since I didnt need to re-wire anything for the replacement video module to chat with 4:3 ( nav was always bypassed).

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i
    Just trying to figure out what I would have to replace next to get the cassette and CD changer working? Right now my monitor powers on, but the MODE button does not cycle through cassette/CD —what other technical implications must I consider to get these to work e.g. Is the cassette MODE only available with the correct radio tuner? Should cassette work if the display powers on? All i am able to access is the Menu, allowing me to set date, time, language etc.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    97 740iL 03 525iT 03 530
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrod1nari View Post
    Just trying to figure out what I would have to replace next to get the cassette and CD changer working? Right now my monitor powers on, but the MODE button does not cycle through cassette/CD
    Thanks.
    What I would suggest is you have a look at what is happening on the IBUS as far as the various devices communicating with one another. You would be able to see what happens when you press the mode button -as in does the mode request change actually get sent to the radio and if it does does the radio acknowledge it and so on. Software you would need for this is NAVCoder and the Resler interface USB stick.

Navcoder http://www.navcoder.com
    Resler Interface http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/index.html

Or the next time I'm in Calgary I could do a scan of the IBUS for you.

Craig

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by cdh View Post
    What I would suggest is you have a look at what is happening on the IBUS as far as the various devices communicating with one another. You would be able to see what happens when you press the mode button -as in does the mode request change actually get sent to the radio and if it does does the radio acknowledge it and so on. Software you would need for this is NAVCoder and the Resler interface USB stick.

Navcoder http://www.navcoder.com
    Resler Interface http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/index.html

Or the next time I'm in Calgary I could do a scan of the IBUS for you.

Craig
    Hey Craig,

Thanks for the tip, gonna get that ordered today. In the meantime, just got the car registered and have a trip to Edmonton today, was gonna take the truck expecting snow after what we saw at the start of this week, but with the good weather I could bring the 7 down if you might have time this weekend for a scan?

Thanks.
    Last edited by xtrod1nari; 10-06-2017 at 10:01 AM.

My Cars
    97 740iL 03 525iT 03 530
    PM sent......