Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: e39 CD-changer shenanigans

My Cars
    2001 E39 525iT

Question e39 CD-changer shenanigans

Hi! I've been trying to google this issue for hours but can't figure it out..
    I have the standard business stereo with tape deck in the front and 6-CD changer in the back.
    I use a cheap eBay AUX cord that connects directly to the CD-changer input in the back of the head unit. It works great and sound quality is fantastic! BUT it only works when the CD-changer is on and spinning discs... If I empty the CD-changer, or unplug its power, the AUX input won't work when I put the head unit mode to CD.
    I'd like to get rid of the CD-changer altogether, is there any workaround for this? Feels dumb that it needs to spin discs for the AUX cord to work...and I'd like to put an amplifier in its place.

2001 E39 touring 525i with the business stereo and (presumably) the hi-fi speakers (3-way speakers in the front doors).

Thanks for any advice!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You can take the CD changer out yes. The 'best' choice for a replacement is the Intravee 2 and Alpine KCA-420i interface unit and lead. This setup 'mimics' the oem CD changer and you plug an ipod into it which holds much more music than the 6 disks of a CD changer can. The setup is then controlled via the oem controls. Other alternatives include products from GROM, Dension and DICE.

Adding an amplifier is a different 'connection' to the CD changer - so you can't take out the cd changer and plug an amplifier into the lead that's left.

If you wish to retain all the oem head unit, then you can add an amplifier by taking the high level speaker outputs from the current head unit and into a 4 or 5 channel amplifier and then upgrading those low quality mediocre sounding oem speakers with much better performing new ones. Also, as you have the non DSP oem setup, then your front is 2 way not 3.

Lots of E39 related car audio upgrade threads on this forum! I have a Touring as well, but zero oem audio modules as I prefer significantly higher quality audio performance and all for a modest or mid level range of spend

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2001 E39 525iT
    No I know about the amp, I just meant I want it in the physical space where the bulky CD-changer is located now
    Thanks for the info! Any specific models for the E39 on those non-iPod units? I'd rather just have an aux in for my phone.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Is it legal to hold a mobile phone or music device or indeed, any device whilst driving in Finland? I suspect it isn't so I'd not recommend an aux in at all. If it is legal, then there's literally thousands of threads over all the BMW forums about adding an aux input to the oem setup.

There's also just as many threads about adding aftermarket modules to the E39 based on what you'd like to add, BT mobile phone calls, BT audio streaming as well, SD card playback, USB stick playback and so forth.

For me, I went the simple way and have a Parrot Asteroid Smart in my Touring, all those features and plenty more are built in so no need to faff around looking and what works, fits and performs well or not etc

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2001 E39 525iT
    technically not illegal unless you're talking on the phone, but of course it's never a good idea to fiddle around on anything while driving. will check into those AUX/BT modules, since the single aux cable adapter not working properly was the whole reason I want to get another solution. Thanks for your input. Beautiful car by the way